BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2014 8:47 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock’s Sexuality: An In-Depth Contemplation and Study

"It’s just he subsumes it in order to do his work. I’ve said that many times before, but the idea that he doesn’t know or hasn’t experienced sex I think is inaccurate."

That's always been my take on it.  We freely accept the idea of Sherlock supressing most of his emotions.  Why do so many people think that sexual feelings are just not there rather than assuming he does the same?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 24, 2014 9:21 pm  #22

I never thought him to be asexual. We simply do not know if he would be attracted by men, women or both provided he did not suppress this side of his personality. 
But the way Benedict plays the scene with Janine IMO clearly shows that he is not totally inexperienced whatevery Mycroft may have said in ASiB. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 24, 2014 9:34 pm  #23

SusiGo wrote:

But the way Benedict plays the scene with Janine IMO clearly shows that he is not totally inexperienced whatevery Mycroft may have said in ASiB. 

No, Susi, he's got all this from a book!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 24, 2014 9:37 pm  #24

Right, I forgot about that part. No, wait, that was just what he said to John, not what he DID. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 24, 2014 9:43 pm  #25

Steven insists Sherlock may have had a girlfriend in the past...I'm not convinced and I'm not ashamed to admit I want my boy to be pure...
But it honestly wouldnlt really matter to me, one way or another,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 24, 2014 9:44 pm  #26

What exactly is pure?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 24, 2014 9:48 pm  #27

I mean a virgin...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 24, 2014 9:49 pm  #28

SusiGo wrote:

Right, I forgot about that part. No, wait, that was just what he said to John, not what he DID. 

There are also instruction books for prospective lovers out there!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 24, 2014 9:50 pm  #29

So virgins are pure and other girls are dirty? Or ...

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 24, 2014 10:00 pm  #30

Harriet wrote:

So virgins are pure and other girls are dirty? Or ...

Sherlock is a boy. Unless he's a girl that's not a virgin anymore who decided to have a sex change then he forfills both criteria: been a non-virgin girl & is currently the handsom young man that we see on TV

January 24, 2014 10:03 pm  #31

Well, according to the latest theory Sherlock is transgender anyway, so fine with me 

January 24, 2014 10:04 pm  #32

Where in god's own name does that come from?

January 24, 2014 10:12 pm  #33

I like to think of Sherlock as either asexual (this is how I like to see him as because I find it interesting despite what others may believe ) or at the very least only interested in intellect. Pertaining to the act of it, the only thing I would imagine he knows is the science of it. Nothing romantic or emotional, just pure logically stand point. 

I think Sherlock protests too quickly when he told Mycroft that sex doesn't alarm him. I mean look at how he reacts when the word is mentioned. From Mycroft, he acts hurt. Maybe because he never had any experience, maybe thought about once but frightened by the emotional entanglements or maybe he was made fun of because of his lack of interest? When Janine said no sex, he seemed very alarmed.  Molly said Tom and her had alot of it and he looks awkward and can't seem to give a response to that statement. 

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (January 24, 2014 10:13 pm)

January 24, 2014 10:15 pm  #34

But then, this is not what Benedict who is probably closest to him says.

January 24, 2014 10:18 pm  #35

Of course everyone can have their own theories. But I cannot just overlook if the actor who plays Sherlock himself says he does not regard him as inexperienced and clearly states that he has a sexuality. He may distance himself from sexual feelings for whatever reasons we may deduce but this does not mean that he has no sexual feelings/orientation/interest. And the fact that this is kept ambiguous is one of the elements that make his character interesting and open to discussion. 

January 24, 2014 10:21 pm  #36

I think what's interesting is that he chooses not to partake.
Even in down time, he's more likely to reach for the cigarettes than a  woman...
That's not to say what he does alone in the privacy of his own room.

Last edited by besleybean (January 24, 2014 10:21 pm)

January 24, 2014 10:25 pm  #37

besleybean wrote:

Where in god's own name does that come from?

At least that is what I found on tumbler:

1 He has long curls and enjoys dancing and dressing up.
2 John is clearly sexually responding to the woman in him.
3 Sherlock/Sherley/Shirley ... is a girl's name.
Do I have to continue?

January 24, 2014 10:36 pm  #38

I'd rather you didn't...
(remembers why I don't do tumblr)

January 24, 2014 10:51 pm  #39

There is one thing I will always remember and sort of go by when it comes to Sherlock's sexuality, and that's what Sherlock says to John at Angelo's in ASiP. Girlfriends are not really his area - but to me that means that he does indeed have an area when it comes to sex. Just not girlfriends. When John asks him about a boyfriend, Sherlock does not respond with this "not really my area" stuff, he just says that he doesn't have one. To me that means he doesn't have one right now, but it's not unthinkable that he might have one eventually.
That's my take on the matter. Everything else to me is just transport.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 24, 2014 10:53 pm  #40

I actually think he meant relationships were not his area.

Board footera