BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 5:02 pm  #1

The whole bonfire scene

Please keep in mind I have seen ONLY TEH, so don't spoil, but I assume the reason behind John's kidnapping and near death will be revealed later in the season?

It really didn't seem to mesh with anything else going on.

Also, I didn't get who was sending Sherlock the texts. I almost thought John was doing it, only pretending to be in danger.

Do you think John would have "gotten back with" Sherlock if the bonfire bit hadn't happened?

On his blog,  John half-jokingly accuses Sherlock of setting up the bonfire scene just so he could save John:

Sherlock and my girlfriend turned up in the nick of time and saved me. It was probably Sherlock himself. Set it all up just so he could save my life so I'd forgive him about what he did. Nah, I know it wasn't really.

January 20, 2014 5:22 pm  #2

Re: The whole bonfire scene

The shadowy man watching the images of the bonfire on the video screens is a clear bit of foreshadowing of the new villain we were told about, but at this point the reason for the attempt on John's life is something that will be explained later.

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 23, 2014 12:36 am  #3

Wouldn't you think John would be more traumatized by it (especially if he already has PTSD, though that's a little debatable.) And shouldn't he have injuries?

For a moment I thought John was sending the texts, pretending to be in danger to teach Sherlock a lesson.

January 23, 2014 9:21 am  #4

So what are you aiming at? That it didn't really happen? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 23, 2014 10:15 am  #5

Keep in mind that the texts weren't send to Sherlock, but to Mary, at least at first. She was the one who got the first texts and then came to Sherlock.

As for injuries: I suppose that John was rescued right on time, just smoke, no flames.
And I'm sure he'd eventually come to Sherlock, bonfire or not, but the bonfire might have been some sort of catalyst. Mary would have talked him round, I'm sure.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 23, 2014 10:21 am  #6

Yes I also think that he would have gone back to Sherlock, no matter what. When he got kidnapped he hang around 221B already. I think he wanted to go there but waited for a moment until he'd finally decide and then he got kidnapped.

Regarding PTSD: John has been kidnapped so many times by now and went through so much bullsh**, I hardly believe that this time matters much anymore .

The Game is On!

January 23, 2014 10:28 am  #7

Marva wrote:

Yes I also think that he would have gone back to Sherlock, no matter what. When he got kidnapped he hang around 221B already. I think he wanted to go there but waited for a moment until he'd finally decide and then he got kidnapped.

Right, I completely forgot about that just now. So there's no doubt that he was on his way to Sherlock, even without the bonfire.
In the scene with Mary sitting on the bed and John not shaving for Sherlock Holmes (), I was already convinced that John would go and see Sherlock when Mary says "You're gonna go see him again?".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 18, 2014 2:03 am  #8

John needed to be angry at Sherlock for a while, of course he would have "gotten back" with him because they have a very strong friendship.  When he was angry at Sherlock in the scenes following the revelation, he seemed to want Sherlock to simply acknowledge the emotional trauma he (John) had been through.  Sherlock did acknowledge it on the underground tube (which John instantly forgives him, even though he is a bit angry that Sherlock had faked the danger they were in) and Sherlock again acknowledges in during the Best man speech (I hope by now the original poster has seen So3)  He did seem to have a few cuts and scrapes on his face when he goes to see Sherlock at 221B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

March 11, 2014 10:31 am  #9

Have you see the little helicopter in the scene between the bonfire and 221B with Sherlock's parents?
I think there is even a muted sound of a helicopter.
Have a look at the sky.

November 5, 2014 10:18 pm  #10

Another little gem from the commentary was that they mentioned that they forgot that people would be wearing poppies in November  - it not just Bonfire Night that happens in November.  In fact, today!   Happy Bonfire/Guy Fawkes night to those who celebrate it!

November 5, 2014 10:27 pm  #11

I saw many funny comments on tumblr to please check your bonfires for John´s etc.. 

November 6, 2014 12:12 pm  #12

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 6, 2014 3:44 pm  #13

Did you know that fire is often used as a metaphor for love and passion?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 6, 2014 6:05 pm  #14

Yes.  It's a shame Sherlock pulled him out of it.

(I'm kidding ... seriously, I'm kidding.  Just couldn't resist .  

November 6, 2014 8:27 pm  #15

Liberty wrote:

Yes.  It's a shame Sherlock pulled him out of it.

(I'm kidding ... seriously, I'm kidding.  Just couldn't resist .  

LOL

I just wanted to point out that only Sherlock went in. Mary stayed outside...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 6, 2014 8:39 pm  #16

The lady's not for burning. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera