BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2013 5:24 pm  #21

Re: The Hollow Crown

I ddin't need tissues, I just lapped it up and loved it...
Mind you, maybe for Ben Whishaw..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 4, 2013 9:41 pm  #22

I just borrowed the DVD set from a friend. Looking forward to it very much. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2013 9:43 pm  #23

Enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 4, 2013 9:44 pm  #24

Thank you. I am especially excited to watch Ben Whishaw as Richard II.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2013 9:46 pm  #25

You will see no finer performance in your life...

December 5, 2013 8:28 am  #26

I am going to ask for the DVD for Xmas...can't wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 5, 2013 4:46 pm  #27

You won't regret it.

December 7, 2013 7:34 pm  #28

I watched Richard II yesterday, and it blew me away. Ben Whishaw was great, Rory Kinnear I liked even better. I was unfamiliar with the play, and at least here in Germany it can only rarely be seen in theatres. Which I absolutely don't understand, it's so gripping and exciting and offers at least two really glittering roles every actor just would love to play (I would think).
So, I had a great evening yesterday - a must-see, most definitely!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2014 9:54 pm  #29

Absolutely mesmerising and now I can also recommend it. Such great work in every aspect. 
If you haven't watched it yet, just do it! 

January 16, 2014 10:02 pm  #30

I am nearly through, just watching Henry V and comparing it with Branagh's film. I like the cycle very much, visually brilliant, so many good actors even in the smallest parts. 
I think 2 Henry IV is the weakest film but this is due to Shakespeare's play. I really do not understand why Hal is back in the tavern after having his life-changing moments at Shrewsbury. IMO it would have been more dense and dramatic if he had made only one play of the material. But the story as such is wonderful - the dissolute prince learning to become a king (or does he really just feign his friendship with the lowlifers?)
This is a brilliant piece of television. 

January 22, 2014 4:23 pm  #31

After watching about 10 minutes of Henry IV part 1, I am even MORE excited to see Tom in Coriolanus next month (NTLive). He is MESMERIZING and I don't think I've ever seen anyone more effortlessly adept at making the language understandable. I'm sure it's partly to do with the director/adaptor as well, so amazing all around. 

I was, and still am, a HUGE fan of Kenneth Brannagh so I've seen all his Shakespeare stuff. There are elements of his Henry V I liked better, but for the most part I think Tom's is somehow even more accessible. 

I thought I could be restrained and start from the beginning, but I couldn't! I started with Henry V and now I'm watching Henry IV. Maybe I'll go back and watch Richard II now though, since I'm guessing Tom's not in that  Loving Henry IV even more than V. I like young, trouble-making Prince Hal. Very easy to imagine it's Loki on one of his "expeditions in mischief" that Tom referred to on the Nerdist podcast. 

January 22, 2014 4:47 pm  #32

I like The Hollow Crown very much but sadly I am a bit disappointed about how they did Henry V. Maybe I just cannot switch off my "inner Branagh" but his film and performance did so well in showing the contradictions in Henry's character, the self-doubts and the self-confidence, the belligerence and the horror of the battle-field. This is not Tom Hiddleston's fault whose performance is very good over the course of the three plays. It is the director's interpretation, I suppose.

I could not believe that they left out the "Upon the king" monologue in the night before the battle. Here we see Henry bargaining with God, full of fear, knowing that his father usurped the throne and yet wishing to win the war and thereby confirm his own claims. It is such a powerful scene. And what about the French killing the boys? They only show Henry ordering his men killing the prisoners.

Last edited by SusiGo (January 22, 2014 4:48 pm)

Board footera