BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 4:32 am  #1

PBS Version was shown uncut!

Just finished watching TEH on PBS and it was shown uncut.  The only slight alternation was them cutting the "Fff-cough" a bit, but that was it.  Now I'm watching "Sherlock Uncovered" about the behind the scenes of "TEH".  It's great...they are talking about how much fun it was to make the fake theories.

Last edited by sj4iy (January 20, 2014 4:35 am)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 20, 2014 4:47 am  #2

Re: PBS Version was shown uncut!

Glad to hear that! But then the origiinal episode was only 85 minutes long. Maybe that helped with the decision to leave it - almost - alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 20, 2014 4:47 am  #3

Thanks for that information. I thought we'd have to wait till the DVD came out.

January 20, 2014 4:57 am  #4

tobeornot221b wrote:

Glad to hear that! But then the origiinal episode was only 85 minutes long. Maybe that helped with the decision to leave it - almost - alone.

To be fair, I'm surprised they left as much of the 'fff-cough' in that they did.  PBS is the Public Broadcasting Station and they aren't exactly known for pushing the censors XD

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

January 20, 2014 5:14 am  #5

Well, we'll have to wait what they will do to TSoT and HLV (which are slightly longer than TEH).
I've already got a couple of ideas about some - possible - cuts...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 20, 2014 1:01 pm  #6

Wait, cuts? Really? Uh uh, I'm ditching PBS. I'll just have to watch the rest of this crap on Amazon.

January 20, 2014 2:26 pm  #7

MahnSherlolly03 wrote:

Wait, cuts? Really? Uh uh, I'm ditching PBS. I'll just have to watch the rest of this crap on Amazon.

I'm saying that they DIDN'T cut it this time.  I know that the producers were lobbying hard for that, and it looks like they got their wish.

January 20, 2014 2:45 pm  #8

I don't understand. Are the next two episodes going to be cut on PBS?

January 20, 2014 2:46 pm  #9

tobeornot221b wrote:

Well, we'll have to wait what they will do to TSoT and HLV (which are slightly longer than TEH).

Well, technically they could cut out the whole memory palace sequence from HLV without it affecting much of the story. However... NOOOOO!

Didn't they cut out the middle scene in Scandal last time? The one with Mycroft and Sherlock smoking? That was the most brilliant scene in the whole episode. 

January 20, 2014 2:55 pm  #10

silverblaze wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

Well, technically they could cut out the whole memory palace sequence from HLV without it affecting much of the story. However... NOOOOO!

Didn't they cut out the middle scene in Scandal last time? The one with Mycroft and Sherlock smoking? That was the most brilliant scene in the whole episode. 

No, they did not cut the scene of Mycroft and Sherlock smoking.  They cut Jeanette's scene breaking up with John because "Sherlock is a very lucky man" and they cut the scene of Sherlock presenting the ash tray from the palace to John in the taxi.  Nothing else that I could see.  Sue Vertue has said that it broke her heart to cut anything from the American version (which is all about Masterpiece acknowledging their underwriters - Ralph Lauren and Viking River Cruises and a list of benefactors).  If I had to guess I would say that the whole entire version of Sherlock for Series 3 has been shortened to accommodate this global situation.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 20, 2014 5:16 pm  #11

sj4iy wrote:

Just finished watching TEH on PBS and it was shown uncut.  The only slight alternation was them cutting the "Fff-cough" a bit, but that was it.

Actually they didn't cut it at all.  I watched The Empty Hearse on BBC iPlayer several times after it aired in the UK on January 1st , and the "Fff-cough" scene was presented just as it was shown last night.  Sherlock makes a brief "F" sound, then it cuts to John telling his patient to cough.  I had to play it twice the first time I saw it to get the joke, because it was so subtle and quick.

The "F" sound had to be quick, of course, because it just take long to say f*ck, does it?  

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 20, 2014 6:36 pm  #12

KeepersPrice wrote:

No, they did not cut the scene of Mycroft and Sherlock smoking. They cut Jeanette's scene breaking up with John because "Sherlock is a very lucky man" and they cut the scene of Sherlock presenting the ash tray from the palace to John in the taxi. Nothing else that I could see.

That does make me feel better, they're good but not as great as that one IMHO. But that's the problem, you can cut scenes without affecting the basic narrative but then you're also cutting away the whole point of the show. 

January 20, 2014 6:53 pm  #13

Must admit one of the reasons I wanted to watch it again on PBS was to see if they censored any of John's language.  *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 20, 2014 6:56 pm  #14

I'll bet they had fun with the fake theories! *giggles* ^^

Last edited by kittykat (January 20, 2014 6:56 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 20, 2014 7:43 pm  #15

sj4iy wrote:

Just finished watching TEH on PBS and it was shown uncut.  The only slight alternation was them cutting the "Fff-cough" a bit, but that was it.  Now I'm watching "Sherlock Uncovered" about the behind the scenes of "TEH".  It's great...they are talking about how much fun it was to make the fake theories.

I immediately noticed that as well!!  Definitely pleased….  and based on the comments of others, certainly hoping the others will be similar!  It was pretty fun having that 'Uncovered' come on right after the ep, wasn't it?  Can't wait for next week!!   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 20, 2014 7:56 pm  #16

I watched both versions. Other than the possible very, very slight cut of the f sound, they were the same. Staying hopeful that PBS will not cut entire segments from the 2 future episodes.

January 21, 2014 6:42 pm  #17

Yay! I was pleasantly surprised to see the full, uninterrupted episode on PBS with captions! I don't watch telly normally, and didn't even know we could get the PBS station. I had only seen TEH on youtube, all chopped up with black-out moments, and missed much.

Having now properly seen the episode, I must say that it is one of my favorites in the entire three series. And the documentary about Sherlock immediately following was an unexpected bonus. I only hope the documentary ends up on the DVDs, 'cause I'm sure I missed some things in the initial viewing.

Kudos to PBS!

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

Board footera