BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2012 4:11 pm  #1

Greetings from Finland

Hello sirs and misses,

I just recently watched both seasons of Sherlock because a good buddy of mine so highly recommended it. And I think it's absolutely brilliant. I do think the SH movies starring Downey Jr. are good, and I think he's a fine Sherlock but the problem with him is he's a bit too Downey Jr., if you know what I mean. He's a great actor but he's pretty much the same character in every movie. The quirky, wise-cracking smart-ass. I haven't seen Cumberbatch in anything else before and I think he's absolutely perfect for the role of Sherlock Holmes. I mean when you watch into his eyes you can almost hear the cogs turning in his brain. And Freeman as Watson is a perfect counterpart to him. I've loved Freeman since I first saw him in The Office almost a decade ago.

What else. Well, I'm a big movie buff, been my whole life. I watch approximately 200-300 movies a year. I've kept a movie diary for over 12 years now and rated every movie I've seen. I watch a lot of TV shows, I just finished JOEY (not that great) which was the 47th show I've seen from start to finish and I'm in the middle of a dozen at the moment. I love to read (my favorites are The Dark Tower books, Terry Pratchett, sci-fi), play videogames (NES, PS1, PS2, PS3 mostly)  and write music - acoustic singer/songwriter stuff. I started playing piano 25 years ago and at some point I went from piano to guitar. Now I play them both, piano just enough to be able to create music with it.

That's pretty much it. While I'm waiting for Sherlock's 3rd season, at the moment I'm reading this finnish Sherlock short story collection that has 13 Holmes stories and I'm loving it.

Be seeing you,
N1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 13, 2012 5:14 pm  #2

Re: Greetings from Finland

Welcome to the forum, IdigN1. I am sure you will have a lot of fun. I like Robert Downey jr very much and I think that he can play quite a variety of characters. Do you know "Fur" or "Less than zero"? But of course we all love Benedict and Martin . Just brilliant these two.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 13, 2012 5:27 pm  #3

Welcome to the forum N1. I hope you have a great time amongst us here. We are a friendly, if slightly crazy, bunch. First Finnish member, I think, although I think one of our US members is of Finnish descent.

Have fun here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2012 5:35 pm  #4

Welcome to the fourm. Have fun and post a lot--that keeps you involved!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 13, 2012 5:41 pm  #5

So good to see that Sherlock apparently made his way even to the Distant North - welcome IdigN1!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 13, 2012 5:58 pm  #6

welcome to the forum  idgn1!!   I  play piano too--not very well,  I tried learning guitar but those strings were too hard to pin down for me....But I LOVE guitar music.  I've been a big fan of SH  for a long time.   I  have all 60 stories in one book.   Could you tell us the title  of the book you are reading now,  with the 13 stories?   Just curious. Yeah  this latest  incarnation of SH  with Benedict and Martin is absolutely brilliant,  on that point, we all agree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 13, 2012 6:04 pm  #7

Welcome! I think you'll have fun here. Your English "sounds" American. I'm sure Sherlock could tell us exactly where you're from. Oh, wait, maybe that's Professor Higgins from My Fair Lady/Pygmalion. Hah - a good role for Benedict when he gets older.

June 13, 2012 7:27 pm  #8

Thank you all for your warm welcome. It's nice to bring some finnish flavor among you.

@SusiGo - Sorry, 'fur' and 'less than zero' say nothing to me. Did you know "susi" means "wolf" in finnish?

@sherlockskitty - It doesn't matter how well or bad someone plays. What matters is that you enjoy doing it. Always play within your own limits. I love writing my own music even though I'm not the most talented player out there.
It's not a direct translation from any existing collection. It's called "Sherlock Holmesin parhaat" which translates to "Best of Sherlock Holmes". The stories go chronologically by their publication date from 1891-1893 and 1903-1927. Prior to this collection, I've only read "Hounds of Baskerville" so far and I just loved it. I don't think the show's episode was the best possible "re-enactment" of that story, with the modern military base stuff etc. but I still enjoyed it.

@veecee - I sound american? Well, I guess that's from watching american movies since I was very young. I pretty much learned english by watching movies and playing games on my Commodore 64.

PS. I think Scott was bloody brilliant (there's some UK english for ya) as Moriarty. I mean he's a "normal" looking guy, not your average bad guy asthetically but his performance and those piercing eyes... It really felt like he was on par adversary to Mr.Holmes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 13, 2012 7:50 pm  #9

Welcome, welcome!
Oh, Finland, how lovely...
I hope you have fun in this forum!

I appreciate that you're a Playstation and not an Xbox person.. :D

June 13, 2012 7:56 pm  #10

Thanks, Sammy. I also own an Xbox (the original). I'm not a fanboy of any company as I have a console from all three companies. I play any game as long as it's good, no matter what logo is on it. I even like to play bad games every now and then, especially if they're nostalgic experiences from when I was younger.

Last edited by IdigN1 (June 13, 2012 7:57 pm)

June 14, 2012 8:25 am  #11

Hi there and welcome to the forum...I'm sure you'll find it a cool place to hang out.

It's great that we have members from all over the world now.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 14, 2012 1:03 pm  #12

SH,

Is there any way to pin a map on one of the threads that has little dots representing countries/states from which our various members hail? Might be fun to see...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 14, 2012 1:12 pm  #13

Thank you administrator, sir. It's good to be here. I think this board is surprisingly active considering there's only 200 users so far. I'm sure there'll be a lot more in the near future since the show is kosher and more people will discover it I'm sure. I wonder if I was exactly the 200th user. That would be cool.

Last edited by IdigN1 (June 14, 2012 1:13 pm)

June 14, 2012 2:32 pm  #14

Hi Idig, welcome to the madness! We all post a lot because we are all in withdrawls from Sherlock and this helps with the shakes and the dry mouth!

Have you seen any Australian movies? I can highly recommend The Castle (Eric Bana has a supporting role if that is any incentive). It is just about the most perfect example of the Aussie humour and sensibilities that I can imagine. I also love Shine, with Geoffrey Rush, and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 14, 2012 2:48 pm  #15

Hey idgn1,

I've already read some of your comments across the boards and I think you'll be a fine addition to the already wonderful membership!

I've got quite a few Finish friends from other forums and it already seems that their humour and intelligence is indicative of  all Finish people I meet online.

The only slight drawback I have, or reservation if you will, is that you were a Commodore user and I was a Spectrum kid - but hopefully we can overcome these very distinctive differences

-m0r

EDIT: Just to add, ^ 'The Castle', you've got to see it "How's the serenity?". Also 'Hercules Returns' is another great Aussie flick!

Last edited by m0r1arty (June 14, 2012 2:51 pm)

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 14, 2012 2:54 pm  #16

If BC ever wins a BAFTA (we live in hope) will it go "straight to the pool room"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

June 14, 2012 3:01 pm  #17

We'd best stop lest we just quote the whole move (laugh)

Tell em they're dreamin'

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 14, 2012 3:05 pm  #18

Thanks for the welcome, hepzibah. I watch a lot of films and naturally among them are Australian ones as well. First great ones that come to mind are Shine, The Piano, Mad Max and The Road Warrior. It's been years since I saw Priscilla but I remember really liking it. Who would've thought Agent Smith would look that good in drag, eh? Other interesting ones I can remember off the bat: Romper Stomper, Daybreakers, Chopper and who can forget the first Crocodile Dundee.

EDIT: @ m0r1arty - Yeah I was a C64 man up until I got the NES. It's good to hear you consider us Finns (it's Finnish, not Finish by the way, hah) smart and intelligent as it's not often so. Lots of chumps on Finnish message boards, that's why I don't hang around in them. I find the UK and US based boards a lot more interesting plus I like to hone my English skills.

Last edited by IdigN1 (June 14, 2012 3:10 pm)

June 16, 2012 2:29 pm  #19

Hi Dramagod

Why did you change your name? Are you in a witness protection program?

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

June 16, 2012 2:34 pm  #20

You got me. I'm wanted by the Scotland Yard, CIA, Russian Mafia and Sesame Street. But don't tell anyone or I will have to kill you. Twice.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 16, 2012 2:37 pm)

Board footera