BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2014 12:22 pm  #301

Re: Mary

Clancy wrote:

Tantalus wrote:

I really think she will be killed off, and that it will have already happened when Series 4 begins, with flashbacks showing us what happened. {details}

I think they're going to have to have start S4 almost immediately after the end of S3, because of the Moriarty is back issue.  No matter what's going on there it's something that would need (in show) to be addressed immediately and  I hope it's to major a point to be relegated to flash backs.

eta: if the TEH happened more or less on real world time by the end of HLV we're up to January 2015.  If they do manage to do S4 in 12 months could maintain the real world /Sherlock time sync whilst moving straight on to the Moriarty problem.

I thought about this too, but I really don't think they can kill Mary off off screen. She's too big of a character at the moment - and not even herself per se, but more for her connection to John. As in, her death/disappearance is going to have a HUGE impact on John and I don't think this is something that can be dealt off screen really...
Also, it would be a pretty cowardly and easy thing to do after building so much of the S3 storyline around the impact she has had on the protagonists.

I do think they are still following canon, even though they have added the pregnancy - in Canon John and Mary get married after they find out the AGRA chest is empty/lost, just like the AGRA USB stick is lost.
True that as far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), in canon then Mary dies rather quickly and without much fuss from ACD...but I honestly can't see Mofftiss doing all this off screen. Also I am certain Amanda will be in S4.

I am very curious (and unfortunately for me, I like to speculate and investigate and try to guess.....arg!! )

January 19, 2014 12:56 pm  #302

Ozma wrote:

Clancy wrote:

Tantalus wrote:

I really think she will be killed off, and that it will have already happened when Series 4 begins, with flashbacks showing us what happened. {details}

I think they're going to have to have start S4 almost immediately after the end of S3, because of the Moriarty is back issue.  No matter what's going on there it's something that would need (in show) to be addressed immediately and  I hope it's to major a point to be relegated to flash backs.

eta: if the TEH happened more or less on real world time by the end of HLV we're up to January 2015.  If they do manage to do S4 in 12 months could maintain the real world /Sherlock time sync whilst moving straight on to the Moriarty problem.

I thought about this too, but I really don't think they can kill Mary off off screen. She's too big of a character at the moment - and not even herself per se, but more for her connection to John. As in, her death/disappearance is going to have a HUGE impact on John and I don't think this is something that can be dealt off screen really...
Also, it would be a pretty cowardly and easy thing to do after building so much of the S3 storyline around the impact she has had on the protagonists.

I do think they are still following canon, even though they have added the pregnancy - in Canon John and Mary get married after they find out the AGRA chest is empty/lost, just like the AGRA USB stick is lost.
True that as far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), in canon then Mary dies rather quickly and without much fuss from ACD...but I honestly can't see Mofftiss doing all this off screen. Also I am certain Amanda will be in S4.

I am very curious (and unfortunately for me, I like to speculate and investigate and try to guess.....arg!! )

Well, outside of Sherlock's sabotaged plane crashing on top of Mary but leaving John miraculously uninjured, it's pretty obvious that Amanda will be in S4.  I am quietly confident that Moftiss will come up with a way of dispatching her which fits the needs of the story lines as well as the central dynamic, but I don't hold out much hope for a long and happy (fake) marriage; I can't see a way of making it happen.

There are so many unanswered questions from this series; it may be that the answers will include the way of getting Mary off the stage. Perhaps M will recruit her as another blunt instrument, leaving John to be house husband; on second thoughts, that one probably wouldn't work. We shall have to wait for the next season; until then we read, and reread, and watch in the hopes of guessing some of the answers 

January 19, 2014 1:01 pm  #303

Willow wrote:

Well, outside of Sherlock's sabotaged plane crashing on top of Mary but leaving John miraculously uninjured, it's pretty obvious that Amanda will be in S4.

lol, maybe that's how S4 will start? 'Whooops Mary sorry I crushed you with my private jet! My bad!'

Willow wrote:

I am quietly confident that Moftiss will come up with a way of dispatching her which fits the needs of the story lines as well as the central dynamic, but I don't hold out much hope for a long and happy (fake) marriage; I can't see a way of making it happen.

There are so many unanswered questions from this series; it may be that the answers will include the way of getting Mary off the stage. Perhaps M will recruit her as another blunt instrument, leaving John to be house husband; on second thoughts, that one probably wouldn't work. We shall have to wait for the next season; until then we read, and reread, and watch in the hopes of guessing some of the answers

Yes, that's exactly what I do... I just love trying to work out things and see if I guessed them right.

At the moment I am quite convinced Moriarty (or whoever is linked to him) will have an impact on Mary.

I also can't see this fake marriage ending well.

January 19, 2014 1:22 pm  #304

besleybean wrote:

I am perfectly happy to give a full and honest answer, as I have nothig  to hide.
I would prefer if it was just Sherlock and John.
The Holmes -Watson relationship was what I read the stories for and Sherlock-John is what I watch BBC Sherlock for.
But I am perfectly happy to accept whatever the writers decide to do with Mary and however her character develops.

Wow!  For once Besley, I'm in complete agreement with you!  *Cues Hallelujah chorus!*
just teasing 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 19, 2014 1:28 pm  #305

(shrugs)  I wasn't aware that we usually disagreed!  But thanks, anyway!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 1:40 pm  #306

besleybean wrote:

I am perfectly happy to give a full and honest answer, as I have nothig  to hide.
The Holmes -Watson relationship was what I read the stories for and Sherlock-John is what I watch BBC Sherlock for.
But I am perfectly happy to accept whatever the writers decide to do with Mary and however her character develops.

I am also perfectly happy to give a full and honest answer - and my answer is the same as yours, as I also watch it for the Holmes - Watson relationship.

However, for this very reason, while I respect the writers' decisions, I cannot be in any way forced to say that I will be happy if they decide to keep Mary and make her a main character (I don't think this will happen, but just for the sake of argument).

This DOES NOT mean I would be insulting them or asking them to change it, it just means that I am not sure IF having Mary in the story permanently will make me like the story as much as I did before, and therefore will make me keep wanting to watch it. And this is NOT for spite; it's just my right to not like something.

And please note the IF - I don't know what will happen. But it is my right to stop watching it if I don't like it anymore. Personal choice.

January 19, 2014 2:08 pm  #307

I really don't care what they do with the Mary character, kill her, make her a lead, make her a side character, whatever. I'm sure Moftiss will come up with storylines and character arcs I'll enjoy. Mary or no Mary. 

January 19, 2014 2:37 pm  #308

silverblaze wrote:

I really don't care what they do with the Mary character, kill her, make her a lead, make her a side character, whatever. I'm sure Moftiss will come up with storylines and character arcs I'll enjoy. Mary or no Mary. 

Same.  I don't watch the show for my version of the story...I watch it for theirs.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 19, 2014 2:40 pm  #309

Ozma wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I am also perfectly happy to give a full and honest answer - and my answer is the same as yours, as I also watch it for the Holmes - Watson relationship.

However, for this very reason, while I respect the writers' decisions, I cannot be in any way forced to say that I will be happy if they decide to keep Mary and make her a main character (I don't think this will happen, but just for the sake of argument).

This DOES NOT mean I would be insulting them or asking them to change it, it just means that I am not sure IF having Mary in the story permanently will make me like the story as much as I did before, and therefore will make me keep wanting to watch it. And this is NOT for spite; it's just my right to not like something.

And please note the IF - I don't know what will happen. But it is my right to stop watching it if I don't like it anymore. Personal choice.

Like you, I suspect that this is not a choice which we will have to make since I cannot see any practical way in which the show could work with a 'lethal killer nurse' hanging around, but I entirely agree that it is a matter of personal choice whether or not we choose to watch any TV programme.

The idea that choosing not to watch a series which no longer interests you is in some way disloyal or spiteful seems to me to be downright bonkers; I do see, however, that at least some, if not all, of the media try to run this sort of fake 'news' story about deranged fans demanding this, that, or the other. Presumably they do it because it's a lot easier making things up than actually being journalists reporting real things; it's part of the tabloidisation of what used to be serious journalism.

For example, the Guardian newspaper, which used to be highly reputable, printed an article with (mild) spoilers for HLV; their journalist had previously tried to use the screening to get some quotes for an article purporting to be 'Moffat answers critics' and had failed. Moffat had spotted it at the outset and declined to play ball, so the Guardian ran the article anyway, leaving out the fact that Moffat had declined to play their game; the spoilers seemed to be a gratuitous piece of nastiness because he had the temerity to point out the blindingly obvious in front of the other people at the screening.

The fact that one of the themes of HLV is about the abuse of power by at least some parts of the media just lends further irony to the sorry tale; I really do not believe that any reasonable person would expect others to plod through something that no longer interested them. The writers are, I am sure, well aware of that fact

January 19, 2014 2:55 pm  #310

Willow wrote:

Ozma wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Like you, I suspect that this is not a choice which we will have to make since I cannot see any practical way in which the show could work with a 'lethal killer nurse' hanging around, but I entirely agree that it is a matter of personal choice whether or not we choose to watch any TV programme.

The idea that choosing not to watch a series which no longer interests you is in some way disloyal or spiteful seems to me to be downright bonkers; I do see, however, that at least some, if not all, of the media try to run this sort of fake 'news' story about deranged fans demanding this, that, or the other. Presumably they do it because it's a lot easier making things up than actually being journalists reporting real things; it's part of the tabloidisation of what used to be serious journalism.

For example, the Guardian newspaper, which used to be highly reputable, printed an article with (mild) spoilers for HLV; their journalist had previously tried to use the screening to get some quotes for an article purporting to be 'Moffat answers critics' and had failed. Moffat had spotted it at the outset and declined to play ball, so the Guardian ran the article anyway, leaving out the fact that Moffat had declined to play their game; the spoilers seemed to be a gratuitous piece of nastiness because he had the temerity to point out the blindingly obvious in front of the other people at the screening.

The fact that one of the themes of HLV is about the abuse of power by at least some parts of the media just lends further irony to the sorry tale; I really do not believe that any reasonable person would expect others to plod through something that no longer interested them. The writers are, I am sure, well aware of that fact

I agree...people shouldn't watch a show that doesn't interest them out of 'loyalty'.  It's a ridiculous concept in the first place..why should someone be loyal to a tv show?  It only creates resentment and you get divided fan bases like 'Doctor Who' where people watch just for the purpose of complaining.  It never made any sense to me...I've lost interest in plenty of things and moved on.  I thought the point was to enjoy oneself, and if you aren't, that defeats the purpose.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 21, 2014 1:47 am  #311

The Sherlock V Mary's ex scene. Remember Sherlocks ,,, downgraded to three social visits a year supervised by John comment?
Why are we shown this scene..this show doesn't do comedy sketches, whats the reason behind the what you see.

Sherlock doesn't trust Mary , Sherlock thinks Mary might cheat.

The baby reaction..
John is surprised..yes..why? They used contraception obviously.
Mary is it shock? Sherlocks odd look , lots of comments on it here..odd..so why? Is it shock..because one time maybe she didnt use contraception.

Maybe a case for the baby not being Johns.

Would simplify both exits...I don't want to see an emo death/deaths thing go down.

So maybe..baby not Johns..bad past turns up..cia too..Mary goes back off into hiding with wit. protect. John chooses to stay.

Best case scenario?

Eliminate the impossible..(they used contraception) and whatever remains..(someone else didnt) however improbable...(really trust Mary?...mmhmm nope) must be the truth.

Last edited by lil (January 21, 2014 11:25 pm)

January 21, 2014 3:03 am  #312

I think you're reading a little bit too much into it lil. The show does comedy sketches, at least, it did this season (not just the ex boyfriend scene but also the scene with the kid, for example; or the lapstick comedy in the drunk John&Sherlock sequence). To extrapolate from that scene that Mary is cheating on John is making a wild unsubstantiated leap of logic.

You just don't go around trying to kill people to save your relationship with a man you're cheating on anyways... Mary absolutely adores John, I think we can be almost certain about that (yes, there's the possibility that it's all a ruse/she's working for someone/whatever and I'm not ruling it out but I think it's quite unlikely). When Sherlock tells them the news I don't see anything but some reasonable panic mixed with excitement and peppered with shock, which is something I think most couples go through the moment they learn there's an unexpected baby on the way 

Also making the baby not John's would be such a gargantuan cop-out I wouldn't be able to cope LOL Way to write themselves out of a sticky situation. I trust the writers to be way more intelligent than that. The fact remains that the baby is the real crux of the problem here. Mary could be dispatched in a number of ways, but baby girl Watson? I can't see them killing a baby - John's baby - on the show, and I actually don't even want to see them go down that road. It would absolutely break John. Not that losing only Mary wouldn't - it's obvious he's head over heels in love with her - but losing both Mary and his baby daughter would be just a hot double serving of tragedy and heartbreak and I fear the tone of the show would be altered forever. 

January 21, 2014 3:23 am  #313

Shezza...lol i honestly agree with everything you say in your post. And freely admit mines a little..., wth improbable!

But how else do we get out of deathing them?

Last edited by lil (January 21, 2014 3:35 am)

January 21, 2014 3:29 am  #314

lil wrote:

Shezza...lol i honestly agree with everything you say in your post. And freely admit mines a little..., wth improbable!

Maybe, at some point, she realizes that she's only bringing danger to her family and takes off-- and gives the baby up for adoption. 

Yeah, I've got my plot-bunny-hunting hat on....

January 21, 2014 3:34 am  #315

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

lil wrote:

Maybe, at some point, she realizes that she's only bringing danger to her family and takes off-- and gives the baby up for adoption. 

And btw I didn't add the cam blackmailing her , baby father thing , or even the turn ups on her jeans thingy.........

January 21, 2014 8:18 pm  #316

lil wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

lil wrote:

And btw I didn't add the cam blackmailing her , baby father thing , or even the turn ups on her jeans thingy.........

What does that mean, turn up jeans thingy???????????? Not a narrative...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 21, 2014 8:21 pm  #317

A reference to The Great Game.
Sherlock makes a deduction on  a guy, based on the turn up on his jeans...Americans call them cuffs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2014 8:23 pm  #318

thanks bb

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 21, 2014 8:33 pm  #319

besleybean wrote:

A reference to The Great Game.
Sherlock makes a deduction on  a guy, based on the turn up on his jeans...Americans call them cuffs.

yes do you remember Sherlock shouting at crap tv...

"HE can't be the baby's father..look at the turn up on his jeans!"

Last edited by lil (January 21, 2014 8:34 pm)

January 21, 2014 8:40 pm  #320

how are johns jeans turn up????????????
Just kidding.... far fetched and already discussed... harhar..
just not in the team mary.

Board footera