BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 10:51 am  #1

does the we're not gay joke ever get old?

I don't mean that will people ever stop asking(coz they won't). I mean at what age does the subjects of said sentiment becime too old for people to speculate in this way?

People are happy to assume that Sherlock & John might be gay (both in the show itself & in the real world) because Benedict & Martin are so God damn good looking  & still relatively young.

I wonder if in twenty years time when both actors are in their 60s would people still question whether or not their characters gay (if they're still making them).

This question can apply to the real world too. II'm sure that if you saw two grannies sitting together on a park bench, you wouldn't question if they were lesbiand (even if they were).

In that context is "are you gay?" really just a way of saying "you're good looking I'd do you but unfortunately you're already taken"?

Sorry that just got a bit weird (political) wasn't meant to be like that.

Last edited by saturnR (January 20, 2014 10:54 am)

January 20, 2014 11:15 am  #2

Re: does the we're not gay joke ever get old?

This very much depends where in the world you live at the moment even.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 20, 2014 11:39 am  #3

I don't see why age would be an issue. Two old men living together or two young men living together could be a couple, or friends, or roommates for financial reasons. For young and old people, sharing costs would be a plausible motive, for middle aged people it's more likely that they are gay because most people of that age are married or in a long time relationship. 

But yeah, depends on the culture, in my country, homosexuality is very mainstream, so same sex people sharing a place would naturally be assumed to be a gay couple. 

January 20, 2014 3:18 pm  #4

This joke only still makes me laugh because of  Martin Freeman's reactions. The role of Watson requires a lot of reaction shots and he's a master.

Friendship is a little underrated these days. When friends get married its like they died. You just don't see them much anymore.

Last edited by SteveNJ (January 20, 2014 3:19 pm)

"the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.”

January 20, 2014 4:13 pm  #5

The joke has been used for three series. Time to move on. Let friends be friends.

January 21, 2014 4:04 pm  #6

The joke isn't old if you ask me, it's geriatric. Time to retire it one way or another.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 21, 2014 6:15 pm  #7

Right. "We are NOT gay" is a joke indeed   

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 21, 2014 6:32 pm  #8

I have a question for British/European folks: Is it unusual for sexuality to be discussed/joke about in shows with the frequency that it is here? I mean, every single episode (I think) has references to this joke in it. Not to be uncharitable, but I have almost wondered if Mark Gatiss hasn't done this specifically because he himself identifies with being homosexual.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

January 21, 2014 6:52 pm  #9

Tantalus wrote:

I have a question for British/European folks: Is it unusual for sexuality to be discussed/joke about in shows with the frequency that it is here? I mean, every single episode (I think) has references to this joke in it. Not to be uncharitable, but I have almost wondered if Mark Gatiss hasn't done this specifically because he himself identifies with being homosexual.

No, I don't think its unusual. Although it tends to be in a laddish way. 

But as I said on another thread I can't see it continuing  when one of the two concerned will be married/widowed and the other a seven times a night celebrity with the nickname Shag-a-lot Holmes.
That would be odd.

January 21, 2014 7:08 pm  #10

I suspect is has a political motivation too, i.e., keeping "gay" in the public eye to garner more acceptance.

When I randomly check out new cable shows online, it seems like invariably they are pushing sex of any kind, and a lot of it.  I usually take this to mean it is going to be a fairly poorly written show.

But, it makes me think, if you look at TV, seems to be a much higher percentage of gay sex (or inferences to it) on TV than in real life.  And I assume it is for shock factor, ratings boost (due to shock factor), and a behind the scenes political agenda.

In the case of Sherlock, I think it is both political agenda, and, a way of framing this bro relationship in current times.  But, the joke is no longer a joke.  It's someone slamming a gong with a sledge hammer, and for reasons other than what the script calls for.

Last edited by zydeholic (January 21, 2014 7:09 pm)

============================================================
And I'm assuming she scrubbed your floors, by the state of her knees.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabbie: You're too modest, Mr. Holmes.
Holmes: I'm really not.

January 21, 2014 7:17 pm  #11

Yeah, I agree the joke might be getting a little tired now. Hopefully there will be less of it in Series 4. Like dartmoordoggers just pointed out, John is a married man and Sherlock has a reputation in the press as someone with a large sexual appetite (for women).

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 21, 2014 7:33 pm  #12

Harriet wrote:

Right. "We are NOT gay" is a joke indeed

Right, makes me laugh helplessly every time I hear it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera