BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 6:00 am  #1

"The press always turn, Sherlock, and they'll turn on you"

John was right about that, of course, but this is the kind of thing you say to someone who lets fame go to their head. Do we have any indication Sherlock was enjoying fame or getting any MORE cocky than usual as a result? I thought he really didn't care what "the little people" thought.

January 20, 2014 8:07 am  #2

Re: "The press always turn, Sherlock, and they'll turn on you"

Fame has never been a theme in our Sherlock universe. I think Sherlock needs his audience like an actor does. He is a show off. But on the other hand he doesn't like to be utilisised by the public and especially not by tabloids (Kitty). He needs a bit of fame to get new interesting cases. He has a website.
John warned him in TRF because Sherlock started to act out of character when he suddenly went public.
IMO he only did that for the Moriarty case. To provoke a reaction.

January 20, 2014 11:10 am  #3

Interesting now that we know that it was part of some grand plan that maybe Sherlock was counting on the press to turn & that he was using Kitty & not the other way around.

January 20, 2014 4:51 pm  #4

Some people seem to think his personality is different now...do we see any change in his attitude toward the press?

January 20, 2014 9:50 pm  #5

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

Some people seem to think his personality is different now...do we see any change in his attitude toward the press?

He was quite happy to go out and talk to the press in TEH, even putting the hat on willingly as if accepting that this is all part of "being Sherlock Holmes".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 23, 2014 12:46 am  #6

I hate the Kitty Riley character. I have not seen the actor's (Katherine Parkinson) other work. She did a fabulous job in this role. But right now, all I can think about is her thrusting her, erm, shirt in Sherlock's face and asking him to autograph it. Sleazey. And in the men's loo.

But the way she held her own in the scene in her own flat when confronted by Sherlock and John was impressive. Even more so, I loved the way she was "the source protecting journalist" acting all noble. Then who comes prancing in carrying the shopping? Why, it's Richard Brook. Kitty trying to act like a hero, reassuring the hysterical Richard Brook that he was safe with her, was ridiculous. Katherine Parkinson played that well. She was in a room with three top-rate actors and she played the part exactly right. Another example of how this programme gets everything right. Great writing, great acting.

Board footera