BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2014 5:03 pm  #201

Re: Sherlock's love for John

Well it seems to have worked so far!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 5:12 pm  #202

Mattlocked wrote:

Right after rewatching HLV today I asked hubby: "What do you think, did John react to "cool" at the end?"
Hubby, confused: "Cool? What do you mean, 'too cool'?"
Me: "Well, we were discussing, after all what Sherlock did for John, at least a 'Thank you for everything' could have been nice, you know."
Hubby: "Ah, you girls, right? Well, tell your girls, this goodbye was perfectly okay. I mean, they were shaking hands!!?" ^^
Me: "Okay, so it's a "men thing". Cowboys and that."
Hubby: "Yes. You could say so." 

So, now I told you girls. 

Yes, that's exactly the point, I guess. We were witnessing the goodbye of two totally straight, casually platonic male friends.
Only the "Casablanca"/"Bodyguard" parallel undermines this a bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 19, 2014 5:16 pm  #203

I still think they throw all these shadows on Mary to prepare us for her departure in the next series... But just in this moment I realized another detail which rubbed me wrong way (sorry, John!) and contributed to me-not-being-entirely-happy-with-farewell-scene. It is Watson's mention that they did a scan and they are sure it will be baby girl. Yes, such a lovely thing to do and to enjoy. When did they do this bit of marital bliss? Right after Sherlock went to prison and was waiting for his fate to be decided, facing a nice option of a life prison sentence. To be fair, I am sure Sherlock is happy for them .

Last edited by miriel68 (January 19, 2014 5:16 pm)

January 19, 2014 5:23 pm  #204

Hm. I've never been pregnant but I know they do those scans practically all the time. So I don't get your point here.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 19, 2014 5:26 pm  #205

Yes, life had to carry on until Sherlock's fate was decided...even if it was done at that time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 5:26 pm  #206

Hehe casablanca....
Well I get the blokey/manly thing we don't want hugs kisses sentiment...
But maybe when Sherlock offers his hand something more than...sigh yup look  away game over.

Perhaps a line from John in agreement..the best of times.,, or yes to good times I will miss.., idk something.

Last edited by lil (January 19, 2014 5:35 pm)

January 19, 2014 5:33 pm  #207

I think they each knew how the other felt and there was no need to express it.

January 19, 2014 10:08 pm  #208

I am guessing, if they had already booked the scan (possibly Mary did? In between shooting people and climbing walls to go and kill your blackmailer, I mean, you do need to be a good mother-to-be... [I'm being ironic here]) then John would have gone along even if he was in turmoil and upset...

January 19, 2014 11:25 pm  #209

Ozma wrote:

I am guessing, if they had already booked the scan (possibly Mary did? In between shooting people and climbing walls to go and kill your blackmailer, I mean, you do need to be a good mother-to-be... [I'm being ironic here]) then John would have gone along even if he was in turmoil and upset...

Lol, well said Ozma. I suppose, however, they went for the scan after the reconciliation (if they had done it before Christmas they would have told S. it's a girl, wouldn't they?) Mary is almost at the end of pregnancy at this point, it is not so much about checking whether all is ok with baby (may be she should have checked it after her acrobatics with Magnussen) as about domestic bliss we are shown so often in rom-com, the parents watching happily their child at the monitor and learning whether it is a boy or a girl. (I know, I used this trick with my husband, to get him more involved )

January 19, 2014 11:26 pm  #210

You can determine the gender at about 18-20 weeks. So they either knew the sex beforehand but weren't telling anybody before the birth (in which case John disclosed a sweet piece of information to Sherlock) or they found out between the shooting at Appledore and Sherlock's departure. I think it's the former, it would be weird for a couple of expectant parents to ask for the gender just a few weeks before the birth itself. Usually people find out either the very moment they can have the result or at birth.

January 19, 2014 11:30 pm  #211

Yes, but John virtually didn't speak to Mary for several months. I somehow don't see him going with her to discover that sweet piece of information before Christmas . He hadn't decided by then whether there were still "we"

January 19, 2014 11:37 pm  #212

besleybean wrote:

I think they each knew how the other felt and there was no need to express it.

Well, yes, but if everybody did that there would be very, very short programmes. Molly knows that Sherlock knows how she feels about Sherlock taking drugs, so why did she bother saying anything? John knows that Sherlock knows how he feels about Sherlock taking drugs so why did he bother saying anything?

Etc., etc., etc...

January 20, 2014 1:30 am  #213

They could have had the scan for obstetric reasons (to check the lie of the baby etc - Mary is a little old for a first pregnancy) and found out the gender incidentally. Or maybe Mary knew before Christmas but hadn't told John due to the not speaking.

January 20, 2014 7:18 am  #214

Or maybe they both knew, but hadn't told anybody else.

January 20, 2014 7:42 am  #215

Hello Everybody! I'm new to this forum and being sad about how much negative comments John gets after HLV, I thought I just join the discussion.

To me, John didn't seem cold in that last scene at the airport at all. Let me point out why:

a) After Sherlock tells Mycroft that this is most likely the last time he's going to talk to John, we can see that John is upset but bracing himself for this last conversation. Sherlock had just basically thrown away his life for John's happyness and I don't think he wanted his last memory of John being one of a broken man. And I actually think that at that point, John still hopes that the "last time" remark was just meant for Mycroft and Sherlock actually did have an escape plan. We're talking about Sherlock Holmes here, after all.

b ) The fact that John doesn't find any words to say is prove enough that he's deeply upset. That's something that usually only happens to him when he's upset. And note how he keeps avoiding looking at Sherlock. That's not him being cold, that's him desperatly trying to keep control over his emotions.

c) When Sherlock answers John's question of what's going to happen after those six months in Eastern Europe and Sherlock answers with "who knows", I think that is the moment where John truly realizes that Sherlock doesn't have an escape plan and they might never see each other again. And his reaction to that is anything but cold: He takes a deep breath and looks away from Sherlock for quite a long time, and when he looks back at him (and finally looks him in the eyes) we can clearly see how hard he just had to fight to prevent himself from breaking down. I really don't see anything cold in that reaction.

d) John's really afraid of what Sherlock is going to say to him, because he knows if it's something emotional he's going to break down. Sherlock realizes that, so he changes whatever he wanted to say into this "Sherlock is a girl's name" joke. John's laugh after that is not cold at all, it's a mix between a relieved laugh and a suppressed sob. I think at that point, both men are just thankful for keeping each other from breaking down in front of an audience (and worst of all: Mycroft).

e) John telling Sherlock that it's not a girl's name is him letting Sherlock know that he realized that he wanted to say something else. John refusing to call his daughter after Sherlock is not him being cold, it's him telling Sherlock that there's no chance there's ever going to be another Sherlock in his life. Or that he still refuses to believe that their goodbye is final, that he has to keep believingt that they're going to see each other again.

f) When Sherlock offers John his hand, we can clearly see John hesitating for quite some time until he takes it. He's obviously torn wether to say something more, go for a hug or just take the offered hand. I think by that time the lump in his throat had gotten too big to actually say something more, and a hug would probably have caused both man to break down and cry - something neither of them wanted to do in front of the other and an audience. So he finally went for a silent handshake. But just look at his face when Sherlock boards the plane: That's anything but John being cold.

Finally, I fully understand why John couldn't bring himself to thank Sherlock. A "Thank You" would mean: "Thank you for throwing away your life and our friendship, thank you for making me lose my best friend yet again, I really appreciate that!" I don't think John ever wanted Sherlock to do what he did, he didn't want to lose him again, so I don't think he's actually thankful that he shot Magnussen. Of course it's a relief that Magnussen is gone, but the cost is just too high for John to actually be thankful. On the other hand, John couldn't tell Sherlock that he would have preferred if he hadn't done what he did, because that would have meant telling Sherlock that he had thrown  his life away for nothing. And yet again, I fully understand why John couldn't think of a single thing to say in that situation . . .

Last edited by LightPurple (January 20, 2014 10:29 am)

January 20, 2014 7:52 am  #216

Well it's hardly for nothing...Mary is now safe.

January 20, 2014 7:53 am  #217

As far as the pregnancy scan is concerned, John and Mary hadn't talked up until Christmas, so John obviously didn't know the gender of the baby before Sherlock shot Magnussen. So either Mary told him the gender after that or they indeed went for a scan together to find out the gender (probably Mary had had scans before but didn't want to learn about the gender alone). All Sherlock had wanted for them was to have a normal, happy family life, so is it really such a crime that they did something as normal as a pregancy scan between the shooting and the airport scene? They couldn't do anything to help Sherlock during that time and I would think the scan was a welcome distraction from the painful events of this episode.

January 20, 2014 7:56 am  #218

besleybean wrote:

Well it's hardly for nothing...Mary is now safe.

Yes, but Sherlock didn't shoot Magnussen for Mary, but for John and his happyness. And if John had let him know that Mary's safety was less important to him than Sherlock's friendship, that would have left Sherlock feeling like he had done what he did for nothing. Or at least it would have left him feeling worse than he already did.

January 20, 2014 8:00 am  #219

I love your thoughts a - f, Purple. When I've first seen the the scene, I was very touched by how sad John seems to be, and was quite surprised when I've read that other people considered him cold or distant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2014 10:29 am  #220

LightPurple wrote:

Hello Everybody! I'm new to this forum and being sad about how much negative comments John gets after HLV, I thought I just join the discussion.

To me, John didn't seem cold in that last scene at the airport at all. Let me point out why:

a) After Sherlock tells Mycroft that this is most likely the last time he's going to talk to John, we can see that John is upset but bracing himself for this last conversation. Sherlock had just basically thrown away his life for John's happyness and I don't think he wanted his last memory of John being one of a broken man. And I actually think that at that point, John still hopes that the "last time" remark was just meant for Mycroft and Sherlock actually did haven an escape plan. We're talking about Sherlock Holmes here, after all.

b ) The fact that John doesn't find any words to say is prove enough that he's deeply upset. That's something that usually only happens to him when he's upset. And note how he keeps avoiding looking at Sherlock. That's not him being cold, that's him desperatly trying to keep control over his emotions.

c) When Sherlock answers John's question of what's going to happen after those six months in Eastern Europe and Sherlock answers with "who knows", I think that is the moment where John truly realizes that Sherlock doesn't haven an escape plan and they might never see each other again. And his reaction to that is anything but cold: He takes a deep breath and looks away from Sherlock for quite a long time, and when he looks back at him (and finally looks him in the eyes) we can clearly see how hard he just had to fight a breakdown. I really don't see anything cold in that reaction.

d) John's really afraid of what Sherlock is going to say to him, because he knows if it's something emotinal he's going to break down. Sherlock realizes that, so he changes whatever he wanted to say into this "Sherlock is a girl's name" joke. John's laugh after that is not cold at all, it's a mix between a relieved laugh and a suppressed sob. I think at that point, both men are just thankful for keeping each other from breaking down in front of an audience (and worst of all: Mycroft).

e) John telling Sherlock that it's not a girl's name is him letting Sherlock know that he realized that he wanted to say something else. John refusing to call his daughter after Sherlock is not him being cold, it's him telling Sherlock that there's no chance there's ever going to be another Sherlock in his life. Or that he still refuses to believe that their goodbye is final, that he has to keep believingt that they're going to see each other again.

f) When Sherlock offers John his hand, we can clearly see John hesitating for quite some time until he takes it. He's obviously torn weather to say something more, go for a hug are just take the offered hand. I think by that time the lump in his throat had gotten too big to actually say something more, and a hug would probably have caused both man to break down and cry - something neither of them wanted to do in front of the othe and an audience. So he finally went for a silent handshake. But just look at his face when Sherlock boards the plane: That's anything but John being cold.

Finally, I fully understand why John couldn't bring himself to thank Sherlock. A "Thank You" would mean: "Thank you for throwing away your life and our friendship, thank you for making me lose my best friend yet again, I really appreciate that!" I don't think John ever wanted Sherlock to do what he did, he didn't want to lose him again, so I don't think he's actually thankful that he shot Magnussen. Of course it's a relief that Magnussen is gone, but the cost is just too high for John to actually be thankful. On the other hand, John couldn't tell Sherlock that he would have preferred if he hand't done what he did, because that would have meant telling Sherlock that he had thrown  his life away for nothing. And yet again, I fully understand why John couldn't think of a single thing to say in that situation . . .

Very well written, nothing to add!
I was a bit doubtful about John's reaction after having seen it the first time. I guess there was just too much going on for me to register things properly. But upon rewatching the episode and paying closer attention to John and esp. his body language (Martin Freeman is a genius of understatement!) during that scene I completely agree with your observations.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

Board footera