BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2014 2:59 pm  #61

Re: What's in a name?

I don't think he'd ever stopped seeing her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 4:29 pm  #62

In fact, from what he says to Sholto it seems very likely that he still sees her from time-to-time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 19, 2014 4:30 pm  #63

Exactly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 5:00 pm  #64

If that is the case now they will have a lot of new material to discuss in sessions. There is a friend that turned out not to be dead only to almost die in front of John not once but twice. Plus his wife lying to him extensively and shooting the friend in question. Let’s not forget witnessing said friend committing murder.
I feel for the therapist trying to formulate all this and come up with a treatment plan. Lol

January 19, 2014 5:18 pm  #65

belis wrote:

Willow wrote:

And, about the bleeding to death thing; there are straightforward and obvious signs of the loss of blood pressure etc when someone is bleeding internally; it's first year medical school stuff. The actor and the make up team did a great job, but then they actually use actors, and make up teams, in medical schools to simulate such situations; for obvious reasons you don't let students loose on people with life threatening conditions like internal bleeding. I appreciate that you do not realise this, since you believe that someone can walk around a couple of days after taking a bullet into a lung with no ill effects, but it was textbook stuff.

Walking around a couple of days after taking a bullet. Enhanced recovery and early mobilisation at its best. lol

I'm inclined to think it was liver not a lung since we haven't seen any chest drains. It would be quite possible for him to be able to walk around. Chasing round the city is a bit much though and we clealry see the consequences of it.

I have re-wayched this scene and I would say that Sherlock doesn't look that bad. Aspecially for someone who just had a major surgery and than a run around town. John has been with him from a while so a question is not only how bad he looks but also how does that differ from his new 'baseline'.  He is obviously in pain and later on his breathing start to sound rather worrying (incidently that is usually the first warning sign when things start going south). That would be a good point at which to check him over. He doesn't though becouse he is preoccupied with his own life crashing down around him. I have seen doctors make mistakes as a result of much smaller distractions.

On another note I do worry about John's mental health. A lot happens to him in this season. He may well need to see his therapist again.

This may be a question of how the colour setting on your tv is adjusted; that unfortunate shade of white, verging on blue, is not usually a good sign. Of course, it's difficult to judge how people should look after major surgery, interrupted by flatlining, followed by a run around town because it doesn't happen very often; strangely enough surgeons tend to frown on that sort of thing. When they go to the trouble of hauling people out from under the wheels of the proverbial ten ton truck they can get very shirty if the patient messes them about, though in fairness Sherlock's life expectancy if he'd stayed in hospital would probably have been brief; Mary does not appear to place much reliance on mere threats when death works so much better.

If you listen then you will notice that Sherlock's breathing starts falling apart as he's talking to Mary when she's outside the fake houses in Leinster Gardens; after that it goes ever faster downhill. John had quite a lot of time to notice it, but failed completely to do so; indeed, he subsequently threatened Sherlock with violence, which is probably not the sort of thing that the GMC expects.

I entirely accept that doctors do, from time to time, fail to notice that a patient is bleeding to death in front of them; not every doctor is competent, and even the competent ones have bad days. John Watson, however, is supposed to be both competent and familiar with battlefield injuries; a fair number of people get shot in London nowadays but, on the whole, it happens rather more in Afghanistan. And Sherlock Holmes is supposed to be his best friend, so one would expect him to pay a bit more attention than some locum who's never set foot in the hospital before and is wondering whether the charge nurse puts out.

However, as you say, John really should go and see his therapist; I can't see that happening because he can't tell his therapist about Mary because Mary would kill his therapist. How to solve that one is a bit of a puzzle...

January 19, 2014 5:27 pm  #66

Oh I think John only ever tells the therapist what he wants her to hear!
I think she knows this, too!

Last edited by besleybean (January 19, 2014 5:28 pm)

Board footera