BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2014 7:45 pm  #1

Mycroft's wedding ring

Hello guys, today I rewatched TSoT and I saw that in the scene Mycroft was on the phone with Sherlock, he(Mycroft) was wearing wedding band on his finger. Did they forget it there or it means something like Mycroft is actually married? Made me think a lot about it...

January 14, 2014 4:15 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft's wedding ring

It was on his right hand, and in the UK wedding rings are conventionally worn on the left.

It does look like a wedding ring though. I've noticed it a few times (though I can't remember when exactly) and took note of which hand it was on.

January 16, 2014 7:58 pm  #3

The ring was on Mycroft's hand (the right one) on at least two other occations that I can recall. In ASiP during the warehouse scene with John (That was where I first noticed it. I thought it was a wedding ring too) and in TEH during the scene where he talks to Sherlock in his office as well as when he and Sherlock is playing their deduction game. That's what I can remember without going back and rewatching.
I always wondered what kind of ring it was if not a wedding ring?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 16, 2014 8:04 pm  #4

I think I saw it too. When he and Sherlock were smoking in HLV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2014 8:32 pm  #5

Mycroft always wears a ring on his right ringfinger and they never explained it. Theories go from married to a man, widower, secret service sign, to just an ornament. 

Mark, incidentally, also wears his wedding ring on the right, I still suspect that he left it on by mistake and then just decided to write it in, but they never said anything about that. 

January 19, 2014 8:19 am  #6

Mark wears 2 rings - a conventional wedding band and a mirror image of it on his R hand.  No idea why, nor why he leaves the right one on as Mycroft.

January 19, 2014 10:37 am  #7

"He wears a ring on the ring finger of his right hand. It is unknown if this is symbolic of anything. Show co-creator and actor of Mycroft Mark Gatiss has stated that it is not a wedding ring, but that he likes to think there is a story behind it."

found on bakerstreet.wikia.com. I noticed it aswell and googled it

John Watson: "He’s clueing for looks"

January 20, 2014 10:58 am  #8

I thought it was to make him look more mafia all the mob bosses are putting rings on so maybe he's trying to say I'm the boss of my mob (MI6).

Board footera