BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 10:38 pm  #1

How Mary could have shot Sherlock and everyone forgave her for it

To Moffat's credit Mary never openly agrees with Sherlock on why exactly she shot him. I present a couple of scenarios that would have left us sympathizing with her. But first some plotholes or are they clues?

1. " No such thing as coincidence": Of all the opportunities she had to assassinate CAM she had to be there the night Sherlock and John break in? I get that it's canon and probably John was away that night with Sherlock, also she was on her honeymoon. But she was only an elevator ride ahead of them, a matter of minutes.
2. How did she get in? wouldn't CAM know that his PA Janine was the bridesmaid of someone he's actively blackmailing or dating a target?  Janine was totally under his thumb ( he mentions flicking her face like what he was doing to Watson). Assuming she's a ninja or tom cruise from mission impossible it was still an impossible feat. Twist: Lady Claire de lune  was a former gymnast, a footnote from the opening scene to make us believe that a little old lady could scale a skyscraper.
3. CAM wasn't supposed to be there, he had a dinner to go to, or did he?
4. In less than five minutes she could have struck Janine and the guard and shot Magnussen on sight then left the crime scene before our heroes got off the elevator, only she didn't. A classic bond villain mistake.
5. So deadly ex CIA assassin in full black ops gear feels the need to douse herself in perfume before a job? This bit here is inexplicably stupid, tacked on there so Watson can figure it out in a later scene.
6. So I'm on my knees begging for my life at gunpoint and I find it amusing that the good guy mistakes my killer for someone else, also I correct him? Then I don't try to grab the short woman when she gives me her back while pointing the gun at the other guy. Really Charles?

January 18, 2014 10:45 pm  #2

Re: How Mary could have shot Sherlock and everyone forgave her for it

So here's what I think should have happened:
1. Mary was being blackmailed into killing Sherlock in Magnussen's office that night by CAM.
CAM went to meet Sherlock in his flat that morning ahead of their appointment right after Janine left. Janine was baiting Holmes, giving him false info about CAM's schedule to lure him there.
2. Mary goes along with it for John's sake and to find a way to save Sherlock. This would make the surgical shot, calling the ambulance, and hitting CAM on the head at least plausible. Also why he was still threatening her later cause he was pissed at her for not succeeding in killing Sherlock.

January 18, 2014 11:05 pm  #3

Remember Sherlock is seen as Mycroft's pressure point by Magnussen. Making a compromised Sherlock a national threat or pressure point.
CAM was setting up Sherlock to get arrested by luring him with the letters that morning and false-feeding him info thru Janine. Mary knew about it by spying or putting two and two together so she intervened that night but couldn't kill him right away before confirming the existence of physical evidence on her or other victims when Sherlock walked in. She never wanted John to know about her so she had to shoot Sherlock  but not Magnussen because CAM hadn't given her a clue and John would come running after her heard the shot. Sherlock would have been better off dead than causing the downfall of his country, if that's what they were going with it. She called the ambulance to give him a chance.

January 18, 2014 11:07 pm  #4

Other possibilities exist all pointing out that what creativity Moffat shows in characterization and plot-twist generation doesn't mean he's as good a dramatist.

January 18, 2014 11:10 pm  #5

Hi Yeahright - there's actually quite a long thread discussing this very thing here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4233 

You might like to check it out and join in the discussion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 18, 2014 11:21 pm  #6

I think you might be overthinking this. 

January 18, 2014 11:55 pm  #7

...but that completely misses the point.  The writers WANT the split opinion...it makes her an intriguing character if she's divisive.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 19, 2014 12:07 am  #8

Cam needs sherlock alive..otherwise chain to mycroft is broken.

January 19, 2014 12:49 am  #9

I completely agree with you that Mary almost-killing Sherlock was crazy but that's not to say she didn't have her reasons. I'm gonna try to figure out what they might be.

1. " No such thing as coincidence": Of all the opportunities she had to assassinate CAM she had to be there the night Sherlock and John break in? 

She didn't need to kill him before because John didn't know that he even existed. After John gets involved with Sherlock's case, she has no choice but to execute what I assume to be her contingency plan. It's something that she would have already planned out ages ago but was not going to execute unless provoked - John learning about Magnussen's existence becomes the trigger.

2. How did she get in? 

Sherlock mentions that she leaves the same way she comes in, which means that she probably didn't take the lift. 

wouldn't CAM know that his PA Janine was the bridesmaid of someone he's actively blackmailing or dating a target? 

You're right. He probably does know about both - Mary befriending Janine & Sherlock dating her. But he doesn't care because he's too confident. He doesn't think that whatever those two are up to will amount to anything. It's the same cockiness that causes Sherlock to actually shoot him outside his house.

Can't remember that part well enough to answer

4. In less than five minutes she could have struck Janine and the guard and shot Magnussen on sight then left the crime scene before our heroes got off the elevator, only she didn't. A classic bond villain mistake.

This scenario assumes that her primary motive is murder. However, because she doesn't know if there is a physical vault with her files in it, she can't kill him. Sherlock walked in on her extracting information not trying to kill CAM.

5. So deadly ex CIA assassin in full black ops gear feels the need to douse herself in perfume before a job? This bit here is inexplicably stupid, tacked on there so Watson can figure it out in a later scene.

The perfume scent is very faint & only a person as anal as Sherlock would be able to recognise the diluted scent. She probably had the perfume on before she changed into ninja clothes on & didn't get a chance to shower to remove the scent coz she didn't expect that anyone's nose would be so God damn sensitive as Sherlock's (who is constantly sniffing at everything.

6. So I'm on my knees begging for my life at gunpoint and I find it amusing that the good guy mistakes my killer for someone else, also I correct him?

Sherlock thinks that the assassin is his client Lady Smallwood. CAM lets him know that she's actually his best friend's wife. He's trying to manipulate Sherlock.

Then I don't try to grab the short woman when she gives me her back while pointing the gun at the other guy. Really Charles?

Even though he's not gracious toward Sherlock, he doesn't actually want him dead (coz he doesn't want to elliminate his biggest leverage against Mycroft). She was threatening to kill Sherlock.

January 19, 2014 1:02 am  #10

Yeahright wrote:

To Moffat's credit Mary never openly agrees with Sherlock on why exactly she shot him. I present a couple of scenarios that would have left us sympathizing with her. But first some plotholes or are they clues?

1. " No such thing as coincidence": Of all the opportunities she had to assassinate CAM she had to be there the night Sherlock and John break in? I get that it's canon and probably John was away that night with Sherlock, also she was on her honeymoon. But she was only an elevator ride ahead of them, a matter of minutes.
2. How did she get in? wouldn't CAM know that his PA Janine was the bridesmaid of someone he's actively blackmailing or dating a target? Janine was totally under his thumb ( he mentions flicking her face like what he was doing to Watson). Assuming she's a ninja or tom cruise from mission impossible it was still an impossible feat. Twist: Lady Claire de lune was a former gymnast, a footnote from the opening scene to make us believe that a little old lady could scale a skyscraper.
6. So I'm on my knees begging for my life at gunpoint and I find it amusing that the good guy mistakes my killer for someone else, also I correct him? Then I don't try to grab the short woman when she gives me her back while pointing the gun at the other guy. Really Charles?

1. Maybe the schedule just worked out best that way?  It's plausible enough.

2. The writers said they filmed a whole espionage scene of her breaking into the buiding, but that it was boring so they cut it.

3. He could have easily canceled it for more pressing matters.  Happens all the time in business.

4. She needed to know where the materials that incriminated her were stored before she killed him.  Remember, she doesn't know that he doesn't have them.  If she killed him and then police found the evidence, she's still going to prison.

5. Dumb mistake, I'm sure even she realized it when Sherlock mentioned it.  I doubt she 'doused' herself...it was probably still on from earlier in the day and once you start wearing a perfume for a while, you don't really smell it on yourself anymore.  It's very much like a smoker not being able to smell the nicotine on themselves.

6. There was absolutely no 'amusement' in CAM's voice.  He wanted to make sure Sherlock (the WITNESS) knew who assassin was.  He was trying everything to NOT die...hence the "What are you going to do now...kill both of us?"  He asks this because he is hoping Mary wouldn't want to kill Sherlock or kill himself in front of Sherlock.  There's nothing funny about the situation, and he isn't acting as if there is.
And he's not trying to grab Mary...he's trying to pick the phone up off the floor while Mary is distracted.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

January 19, 2014 12:50 pm  #11

Thanks guys , all valid points. My problem is that Moffat dreams up these enormously convulated , albeit clever, complicated plots then he goes about resolving them in the least convincing way imaginable. He does it all the time (I'm a Whovian BTW). In other words he builds up the tension, the intrigue and then writes it off with an arrogant smirk. Just like a roller coaster, the ride is great but it leaves you wanting more at the end.
There is so much canon in the series, and for a while the updating, in-jokes, and flipping around the source material was great. But when they start playing around with the characters' motivation: why they DO the things they do, they venture more and more into the realm of the inconceivable.
Apologies... I admit to overthinking it. Damn you Moffat!!! *shake fist* ( still an addic....uh...fan 
though)

January 19, 2014 1:09 pm  #12

Wholocked wrote:

Hi Yeahright - there's actually quite a long thread discussing this very thing here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4233 

Thanx wholocked but I think it devolved into I hate Mary kill her off, or I like Mary let her be the bodyguard.
But I don't think they were going for splitting the viewers on what they felt about Mary. The message is clear Sherlock accepts Mary so should you just because. You cant explain why you like someone you just do.
Rational people need more reason to fully back someone, in this case a cold-blooded killer.
They would go: don't you see? It's all for John's sake, and you love your hedgehog don't you fandom?
Mary shooting Sherlock, Sherlock forgiving Mary + protecting her. I personally don't like their angle on it, can be simply put down to poor dramatization.
They should have given us more reason to support Mary. In the spoilers people were saying yeah Mary shoots Sherlock but it all makes sense don't worry. Only it doesn't make sense does it? I am team Mary actually I like her, for no other reason than wanting to like her, the writers hardly give us anything to hold on to. Which they could have easily done + made the mystery or the plot more profound and intriguing.
May be they're holding back on something, maybe she's working with Mycroft as smarter fans suggested before the episode aired. Now there is certainly a lot of things that have to happen off screen to drive the plot forward but it shouldn't be elements that are required to make sense of said plot.
Moftiss broke me , even I'm not making sense anymore

January 19, 2014 1:19 pm  #13

Actually, what the writers said about how Mary got in was this:

"Moffat: We had her doing all sorts of acrobatics, didn’t we? He actually, at one point, goes over and finds the window open and all that. But it was just boring, so we didn’t have it. She got in ingeniously.

Gatiss: She broke in.

Moffat: She’s a highly trained intelligence agent, who’s doing a lot better job of breaking in than John and Sherlock are. And if you actually think this through, suppose Sherlock hadn’t blundered his way in that night? She’d just have shot Magnussen, gone back to being Mrs. Watson – and not only that, they’d have carried on solving crimes together, with this lethal killer nurse wandering along behind them, picking off anyone who might put them in danger. That would’ve been the show."

In other words, they either have a massive plot hole (clue city skyscrapers don't have windows which open) or they are being deliberately evasive about how she got in. About the only thing we can be reasonably confident of is that the next season will not involve this lethal killer nurse wandering along behind them picking off anyone who might put them in danger 

January 19, 2014 1:51 pm  #14

Willow wrote:

In other words, they either have a massive plot hole (clue city skyscrapers don't have windows which open)...

Personally, I wouldn't call that one a massive plot hole. But maybe that's just me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 19, 2014 2:08 pm  #15

Yeahright wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

Thanx wholocked but I think it devolved into I hate Mary kill her off, or I like Mary let her be the bodyguard.
But I don't think they were going for splitting the viewers on what they felt about Mary. The message is clear Sherlock accepts Mary so should you just because. You cant explain why you like someone you just do.
Rational people need more reason to fully back someone, in this case a cold-blooded killer.
They would go: don't you see? It's all for John's sake, and you love your hedgehog don't you fandom?
Mary shooting Sherlock, Sherlock forgiving Mary + protecting her. I personally don't like their angle on it, can be simply put down to poor dramatization.
They should have given us more reason to support Mary. In the spoilers people were saying yeah Mary shoots Sherlock but it all makes sense don't worry. Only it doesn't make sense does it? I am team Mary actually I like her, for no other reason than wanting to like her, the writers hardly give us anything to hold on to. Which they could have easily done + made the mystery or the plot more profound and intriguing.
May be they're holding back on something, maybe she's working with Mycroft as smarter fans suggested before the episode aired. Now there is certainly a lot of things that have to happen off screen to drive the plot forward but it shouldn't be elements that are required to make sense of said plot.
Moftiss broke me , even I'm not making sense anymore

Actually, I consider myself very rational. I don't accept Mary "just because Moffat says so"...I accept her because I believe she is right.  The rational thing to do when a man has so much power that he is untouchable by the law and uses that power to subvert thousands of people in order to gain more power is to kill that man.  I would argue that it's more of an emotional reaction to think there was another choice.  In fact, how rational would it have been for her to tell John the truth when they were dating?  It wouldn't have been, because he very likely would have left her.  Now, she DIDN'T pick the rational choice when she chose to shoot Sherlock in the chest instead of killing both him and Magnussen, because she now had a witness who knew what she was and a blackmailer who knew her weak spot.

There's nothing wrong with believing Mary is in the wrong...but likewise, there's nothing wrong with believing she was in the right, either.  I've seen these arguments trail closely to insulting others who may not share the same beliefs, which I think we should avoid.  The writers didn't make it a black and white issue, and there's no clear cut answer.  Moffat didn't say "Ha!  She's good and you should accept her"...he simply showed his characters accepting her for different reasons.  But the audience isn't being subverted into agreeing with the writers.  I wasn't subverted at all...I simply agree because I see the situation very much like Sherlock does.  You and others might not, and that's okay.

Last edited by sj4iy (January 19, 2014 2:11 pm)

January 19, 2014 2:16 pm  #16

Yeahright wrote:

Thanks guys , all valid points. My problem is that Moffat dreams up these enormously convulated , albeit clever, complicated plots then he goes about resolving them in the least convincing way imaginable. He does it all the time (I'm a Whovian BTW). In other words he builds up the tension, the intrigue and then writes it off with an arrogant smirk. Just like a roller coaster, the ride is great but it leaves you wanting more at the end.
There is so much canon in the series, and for a while the updating, in-jokes, and flipping around the source material was great. But when they start playing around with the characters' motivation: why they DO the things they do, they venture more and more into the realm of the inconceivable.
Apologies... I admit to overthinking it. Damn you Moffat!!! *shake fist* ( still an addic....uh...fan
though)

I suppose there's always a tradeoff between plot and character, though good writer have plenty of both. I guess Moffat just came up with the plot twists and then kinda ignored what it would mean for Mary's character. I do just like her because Sherlock tells me to, maybe the plot could have been worked out better for the character, but this is clearly what they want us to think so I just suspend my disbelief on this. 

January 19, 2014 2:33 pm  #17

silverblaze wrote:

Yeahright wrote:

though)

I suppose there's always a tradeoff between plot and character, though good writer have plenty of both. I guess Moffat just came up with the plot twists and then kinda ignored what it would mean for Mary's character. I do just like her because Sherlock tells me to, maybe the plot could have been worked out better for the character, but this is clearly what they want us to think so I just suspend my disbelief on this. 

I don't think they ignored it at all.  How can you ignore the consequences of making one character an assassin and your main character a murderer?  You can't.  They knew that it would be controversial, but they are used to that.  They've made plenty of controversial choices on both of their shows.  But that's what keeps people talking about it during the long hiatus.  It wasn't an accident...they wanted to stir up debate.  Because that's what all great literature does.

January 19, 2014 4:30 pm  #18

Swanpride wrote:

Not every high building has windows which can't be opened...(hell, first season featured one with a door and a balcony), and if there is one room in the whole building with a working window, it's CAM's personal office. It's like in TBB - nobody secures it because nobody expects anyone to be able to climb that high.

I am also inclined to like Mary, mostly because I see the situation in the empty house as some sort of test for her. When she says that she would do everything to protect John from the truth, that's the moment she had me, because it tells me that at least her love is honest (even if she is wrong in this instance - think about it, if she had talked to Sherlock from the get go, Magnusson wouldn't have had a chance against them both).

I didn't say they did; I was referring specifically to the design of office blocks in the City which we were shown in the programme. They are designed with closed system heating/air conditioning; there are no opening windows because that destroys the whole system, and modern building codes preclude that.

In the homes in the Barbican, by contrast, there are almost full height sliding glass doors onto the balconies which can be opened, but only from the inside; if you were going to have a billionaire up on the 41st floor of one of the tower blocks then you could have rather a cool scene of someone scaling the building. Unfortunately, given the number of security cameras in the City s/he would be spotted in minutes but it would be a tad more plausible.

I think that the writers' evasiveness on the question of how she got in is likely to be related to the plot lines in the next season, which promises to be fun

As for Mary herself, I find it hard to warm to someone willing to kill anyone who stops her getting something she wants; she really is a psychopath. All facade and nothing inside, beyond 'I want'; I don't think emblazoning her face across the fake houses in Leinster Gardens was solely Sherlock's Dead Man's Lever to the police. It's a very clever representation of what she really is, and I expect to learn more about what she is in S4. The one thing I do not expect to see is Mary becoming a better person; why should she? She has nearly killed someone and got away with it; it will merely have fed her vanity, and encouraged her to believe that she can carry on doing what she wants and there will never be a payback time...

January 19, 2014 5:21 pm  #19

Willow wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

Not every high building has windows which can't be opened...(hell, first season featured one with a door and a balcony), and if there is one room in the whole building with a working window, it's CAM's personal office. It's like in TBB - nobody secures it because nobody expects anyone to be able to climb that high.

I am also inclined to like Mary, mostly because I see the situation in the empty house as some sort of test for her. When she says that she would do everything to protect John from the truth, that's the moment she had me, because it tells me that at least her love is honest (even if she is wrong in this instance - think about it, if she had talked to Sherlock from the get go, Magnusson wouldn't have had a chance against them both).

I didn't say they did; I was referring specifically to the design of office blocks in the City which we were shown in the programme. They are designed with closed system heating/air conditioning; there are no opening windows because that destroys the whole system, and modern building codes preclude that.

In the homes in the Barbican, by contrast, there are almost full height sliding glass doors onto the balconies which can be opened, but only from the inside; if you were going to have a billionaire up on the 41st floor of one of the tower blocks then you could have rather a cool scene of someone scaling the building. Unfortunately, given the number of security cameras in the City s/he would be spotted in minutes but it would be a tad more plausible.

I think that the writers' evasiveness on the question of how she got in is likely to be related to the plot lines in the next season, which promises to be fun

As for Mary herself, I find it hard to warm to someone willing to kill anyone who stops her getting something she wants; she really is a psychopath. All facade and nothing inside, beyond 'I want'; I don't think emblazoning her face across the fake houses in Leinster Gardens was solely Sherlock's Dead Man's Lever to the police. It's a very clever representation of what she really is, and I expect to learn more about what she is in S4. The one thing I do not expect to see is Mary becoming a better person; why should she? She has nearly killed someone and got away with it; it will merely have fed her vanity, and encouraged her to believe that she can carry on doing what she wants and there will never be a payback time...

She's not 'facade' with nothing behind her...she's very clearly a human being who has a terrible past and wants to live a normal life.  I think you are making her to be a caricature when she is not.  She's not evil, nor is she vain.  If she were, Sherlock would never have agreed to help her.  He saw that she loved his best friend and was willing to do anything to protect their lives together.  Most people would do the same in her position.  I know I would.  Not all of us have the good fortune to have never made a mistake in our lives, and if she really did grow up an orphan, it would explain why she became an assassin in the first place.

I don't think Mary is nearly as terrible a character as some people are making her out to be.

January 19, 2014 5:44 pm  #20

sj4iy wrote:

I don't think Mary is nearly as terrible a character as some people are making her out to be.

My personal problem with her is that I feel like her character stopped making sense in the third episode. I could have lived with her being an assassin, having made mistakes in the past, wanting to start a new life and leave everything behind her, trying to protect her family. Putting her husband's best friend in mortal danger, so that her secret won't be exposed, this is something that in my opinion is a utterly selfish and horrible thing to do. Letting her husband know about her past was completely unthinkable, but letting him go through the trauma of losing his best friend again is totally okay?
The person she seems to be in HLV has - in my opinion - nothing in common with the person she is presented to be in TEH and TSOT. I don't want to believe that all of this was just a facade, but it really is a big leap from the affection she shows towards Sherlock in the earlier episodes to be willing to murder him just to keep her secret.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

Board footera