BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2014 9:57 pm  #1

4 Reasons Sherlock Should End With Season 4

4 Reasons Sherlock Should End With Season 4
http://whatculture.com/tv/4-reasons-sherlock-end-season-4.php

Not saying I agree, I don't.  Just interested in everyones opinoin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2014 10:10 pm  #2

Re: 4 Reasons Sherlock Should End With Season 4

Well, none of the mentioned reasons are carved in stone - maybe apart from the fact that yes, indeed, Benedict and Martin are getting older.
But everything else... we don't know if we have to wait two years yet again, we don't know if John will really be the "Family Man", we don't know in which shape or form Moriarty really will return (or maybe he doesn't return at all 'cause he's dead).

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2014 10:36 pm  #3

The article is contradictory - we don't get enough Sherlock (3 episodes every 1.5/2 years), yet two more seasons would be too much Sherlock?

January 16, 2014 10:37 pm  #4

I think it might depend on the quality and success of series 4, apart from the availability of Benedict and Martin. I do not think that age is important, many actors were far older when they played the parts. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2014 10:51 pm  #5

I like it that it's being discussed.

I only know that I do want Sherlock to end at some point. And I think there is a natural ending point, when all the canon stories have been explored and been used on screen in various ways. As long as there is good stuff left, I would like them to do it and to continue. But when the good stuff is done, I really would like them to end the whole storyline in a nice, elegant but definite way.

I don't think aging actors and schedules will be a problem. I fear far more for the quality of the show. I think Sherlock will always have an audience now, and there might be quite a temptation just to feed it to the very very (bad?) end. To me, something like six series feels good right now. Still something to look forward too, but an end in sight.

I know that sounds painful - but I really don't mind the waiting

I do agree to the paragraph about much fan service and not so much case solving. I haven't seen much Dr. Who though (wow), so I cannot judge in which ways this could turn bad for Sherlock.

Also, I do wonder if it doesn't get boring for the actors to act the same role for a long time.

Last edited by Whisky (January 16, 2014 10:53 pm)

"It is what it is."

January 16, 2014 11:27 pm  #6

I found it chilling that MG and SM admitted they did Reichenbach too early (as they feared the show would not be extended). Series 4 will confirm how serious the consequences of this decisions will be..

January 17, 2014 10:52 pm  #7

This show can't end with Season 4. I am too much addicted to it and its characters. It's currently my favourite TV show. I need more Sherlock in my life right now, ;) , so the show must go on. Maybe this is not a good reason, but itI can't end. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote many stories, I'm sure they will know how to extend this amazing TV series. 

The begining of a great adventure!!!

January 17, 2014 11:18 pm  #8

4. However long it takes.  "Quality over Quantity" any day.

3. The writers will do what they feel is best for the show regarding the to character development without my input.

2. Again, the writers will do what they feel is best for the show without my input.

1. So, being too big and too popular is a reason to cancel the show now?

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 17, 2014 11:21 pm  #9

I get why article writer is saying that. The new series is indeed very different from its predecessors.

However I want to see where they go with Sherlock's thought palace. It's becoming richer with each series. I want to see what else they can do with it.

Though I do fear that if it runs to series 10 or something, we will meet Sherlock's extended family. All his uncles and cousins and long lost relatives who have become expats...

January 17, 2014 11:26 pm  #10

saturnR wrote:

Though I do fear that if it runs to series 10 or something, we will meet Sherlock's extended family. All his uncles and cousins and long lost relatives who have become expats...

LOL  You might be right there. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 17, 2014 11:27 pm  #11

And you say that like it's a problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 5:56 pm  #12

Oh, I think this text (and probably more will come) stems from the frustration that the so long awaited season is over and that it felt, especially this time, indeed TOO short. As long as the show has success, the writers have new ideas and actors are willing to do it, it is great. Why, "Elementary" after one season has already more episodes than Sherlock after three seasons...

January 18, 2014 7:40 pm  #13

The idea of it ending is causing me physical pain #runs from thread screaming#

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

January 18, 2014 7:58 pm  #14

Season 5 is already planned, so we can all stop beating our chests for a while at least.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 8:14 pm  #15

4: the actors get older and so do we so it doesn't matter, the age difference will continue to be the same. Availability will only get better when they get older since films tend to go for younger actors. 

3: stupidest argument ever, IMHO, though very persistent it seems. Doesn't the blogger realise that the writers always cut out the shoe leather and create the scenes in whatever way they please? Whether or not they live together has no consequence, Moftiss could write a whole season with just them in Baker Street without the need of them living together. I'm sorry blogger, you're not very smart. 

2: blogger (I can't be bothered to find the name, sorry) hasn't read the canon either. Moriarty appears only in one story (The Final Problem), for the sole purpose of killing Holmes off. He is alluded to later a few times, but that's about it. Moftiss made him a lot bigger than he was. Furthermore, the canon is full of great villains, many of whom we haven't met yet in the series. Though I could do without the jellyfish. 

1: and how exactly are high stakes a problem? And I don't think the blogger is even right, Moriarty and Magnussen were big but the mayfly man was a small personal crime story. Moftiss already showed that they are not afraid to go in new directions in s3 and they will continue to do so. High stakes, small personal dramas, it's all within their range. 

Guess what, I don't even want them to stop at the highest point. If it has to die, let us all see it so we know it's over, if they stop at their high point we'll always miss it and wonder what if... So far I'm not worried, they've outdone themselves with s3. 

January 18, 2014 8:17 pm  #16

The jellyfish story is one of my personal faves!

January 18, 2014 8:19 pm  #17

I didn't really see the logic of this article: the show is good but it must end because of it??? I know that some shows dwells too long and lose quality over time but we have only had 9 episodes of Sherlock...how can someone knows that it could only go worse than better?
much ado about nothing is my opinion on it

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

January 18, 2014 10:25 pm  #18

besleybean wrote:

The jellyfish story is one of my personal faves!

I did like it. It's just that I guessed the 'murderer' almost right away. Though it's a cool trick if you're not familiar with that kind of creature, no doubt in Doyle's time people weren't. 

January 20, 2014 10:02 pm  #19

I know what the writer means. My biggest fear is that the show will carry on, even when it becomes shit. It really is better to end on a high and go out with a bang, quit whilst you're ahead etc, don't milk it. There's so many series out there that had a bad last two seasons because the producers/writers just didn't know when to quit. I'm not saying they should quit right now or even after Series 4, but just...I dunno, I just hope they KNOW when to quit and don't get too big for their boots. Moffat is a big headed tosser enough as it is (God knows I love him for it though), but I just want him to keep it together and not let Sherlock become a rubbish show like the last season of Doctor Who was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 20, 2014 10:17 pm  #20

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I know what the writer means. My biggest fear is that the show will carry on, even when it becomes shit. It really is better to end on a high and go out with a bang, quit whilst you're ahead etc, don't milk it. There's so many series out there that had a bad last two seasons because the producers/writers just didn't know when to quit. I'm not saying they should quit right now or even after Series 4, but just...I dunno, I just hope they KNOW when to quit and don't get too big for their boots. Moffat is a big headed tosser enough as it is (God knows I love him for it though), but I just want him to keep it together and not let Sherlock become a rubbish show like the last season of Doctor Who was.

I loved the last series of Doctor Who.

It's all down to perspective.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

Board footera