BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 16, 2012 1:19 am  #21

Re: MEMBERS POLL: What's your age?

Sammy wrote:

Hm, interesting!
We should get ourselves a 70+ member.

It's curious that the people here are mostly older. I guess it's because it's "just" a good ol' fan forum and not something like tumblr which still is kinda new (well..) and dominated by young folk.
But, as you pointed out, this might be the reason it's so calm and relaxed here! (which is very nice!)

Who shares the first category with me?
Molly, you there? And who else? 

I do, I'm eighteen : ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 16, 2012 1:26 am  #22

Dramagod wrote:

You bring it, girlfriend.

There's only one board I'm active in where I've seen even a single person over 50. I'm sure after The Hobbit gets its release and younger kids learn more about Freeman, they'll discover the Sherlock series and that path leads them here.

Most of us die out painfully like dinosaurs. I am just young at heart. Thank you for the sweet comment

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 16, 2012 1:30 am  #23

ancientsgate wrote:

Mmmm, appealing to me. I realize it might not be everyone's cuppa. *shrug* I don't need or want to see Johnlock on the screen-- in fact, I prefer it to stay in the fan fiction arena, where those who want it can write it and read it, and those who don't, don't have to. But... appealing to me, yes.

But what is appealing about it? That's what I am asking.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 1:59 am  #24

kazza474 wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Mmmm, appealing to me. I realize it might not be everyone's cuppa. *shrug* I don't need or want to see Johnlock on the screen-- in fact, I prefer it to stay in the fan fiction arena, where those who want it can write it and read it, and those who don't, don't have to. But... appealing to me, yes.

Oh. Well. Um. Two hot men, neither of whom are flamboyant in any sense of the word, both of them are very smart/clever/sarcastic, their friendship is rife with problems because of the vast chasm between their individual personalities and sensibilities, but they really, really like each other [Sherlock puts on a clueless act, "Why do you care what happens to me?" blah, blah, blah.... but he so obviously knows of John's loyalty and friendship. He's not THAT clueless] I can only speak for myself, but I like the idea of a "romance against the odds"-- two very different men, thrown together by fate, who have come to need each other so very much, as co-workers and as friends, deciding to take their relationship up a notch (or two or twelve, lol) and start an odd romance of their own, for whatever reason(s). The possibilities for angst, for hurt/comfort, for "us against the world" and for bouncing off each other but always deciding that they're better as one than they are as two-- all of that appeals to my slightly off-kilter (we slashers know we're different from most of the world) idea of what's interesting.

I feel as though I've brought the slash thing into the open here on this forum. I've been avidly looking, and I haven't found anyone who's into it in this forum-- or if you guys are here, you're being very quiet. Should we start a slash thread? I have no idea if that'd even be allowed.  The show, in its own right, is absolutely fascinating to me, and if I never read another word of fan fiction, that'd be okay, just the way the actual episodes are written and acted. The slash thing, to me, is for Fun. Capital F intended. Just the way I roll.

Last edited by ancientsgate (June 16, 2012 2:01 am)

June 16, 2012 2:22 am  #25

ok, thanks for answering. I can't really understand the fascination people these days have for wanting to pair up these 2 in a homosexual relationship. One is definitely heterosexual & the other asexual. While yes, they are attractive in some ways, I'm not that interested in their sexual tendaencies frankly. Sex is far from everything. (but that's just a maturity thing I think)
I find it frankly in bad taste to have pictures of these 2 brilliant actors manipulated into homosexual poses.Judging by the comments of the actors involved they offended also. You see while some may be funny or 'cute' others are pathetic.

It's a modern day curse, whenever something is amusing there are always those who have to take it to the extreme & make it sickening & distasteful.

It's also an interesting reflection on the way many supposedly view peoples' sexuality. But I'll leave it at that; the thread will go way off topic.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 2:44 am  #26

kazza474 wrote:

ok, thanks for answering. I can't really understand the fascination people these days have for wanting to pair up these 2 in a homosexual relationship. One is definitely heterosexual & the other asexual. While yes, they are attractive in some ways, I'm not that interested in their sexual tendencies frankly. Sex is far from everything. (but that's just a maturity thing I think)
I find it frankly in bad taste to have pictures of these 2 brilliant actors manipulated into homosexual poses.Judging by the comments of the actors involved they offended also. You see while some may be funny or 'cute' others are pathetic.

It's a modern day curse, whenever something is amusing there are always those who have to take it to the extreme & make it sickening & distasteful.

It's also an interesting reflection on the way many supposedly view peoples' sexuality. But I'll leave it at that; the thread will go way off topic.

But that's what makes a horse race, as they say. Everyone likes something different. And isn't that an example of true art and its best expression, when artists and writers make images (paintings, photos, words, etc) that mean something to them and then put it out there to share with the world, with no censorship? None of us are required to like everything or find everything interesting. And god knows, we all have a different idea of what's "tasteful". For what it's worth, I don't think it has much if anything to do with maturity. Different forms of entertainment and all art appreciation are highly subjective, both creatively and in the various ways they're appreciated and by whom, as it should be.

June 16, 2012 2:46 am  #27

Yes so much these days can be put down to "Art" and non-censorship can't it?

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 5:02 am  #28

a lady never tells her age....do  you get that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 16, 2012 11:36 am  #29

ancientsgate wrote:

And isn't that an example of true art and its best expression, when artists and writers make images (paintings, photos, words, etc) that mean something to them and then put it out there to share with the world, with no censorship?

Actually, "true art and its best expression" involves that which is inherently beautiful, and while there are significant elements of subjectivity involved, we don't want to go down the path of "everything is beautiful in its own way". That's simply not true. Many things in life are inherently ugly and evil, and should never be called otherwise.

ancientsgate wrote:

For what it's worth, I don't think it has much if anything to do with maturity.

That's the problem with maturity; it's very hard to judge a priori. Gotta get old first. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 16, 2012 11:38 am  #30

Sorry to get off topic.

I find it absolutely hilarious that many people seem to view "old" as having managed to live beyond the magic age of 30 or so.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 16, 2012 11:43 am  #31

I remember 30.

Vaguely.

(oh & agree with other stuff but it's going way off topic then)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 2:17 pm  #32

Tantalus wrote:

Sorry to get off topic.

I find it absolutely hilarious that many people seem to view "old" as having managed to live beyond the magic age of 30 or so.

If you've spent the last 15 years on message boards where the average age is 14 - 20, you might see why it's so. I don't think 30 is old per se, but when it comes to the magical world of the interweb, I think there's a big difference in talking to 15-year olds and 30-year olds. This is just me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 17, 2012 1:50 pm  #33

Yeah, I was very shocked to find how young I was compared to everyone else but I've started to get used to it now. I mean, you guys are hardly threatening!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 17, 2012 1:57 pm  #34

We are too decrepit to be intimidating! Lol

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 17, 2012 2:00 pm  #35

Molly Hooper wrote:

Yeah, I was very shocked to find how young I was compared to everyone else but I've started to get used to it now. I mean, you guys are hardly threatening!

You are our little one, Molly, and we love you and will protect you from any harm

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 17, 2012 3:02 pm  #36

Thank-you, Irene, everyone here is very lovely and friendly! 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 17, 2012 7:18 pm  #37

Molly Hooper wrote:

Thank-you, Irene, everyone here is very lovely and friendly! 

This is the most gracious, intelligent, compassionate and wittiest community of people i have ever met in one place. It just goes to show that the quality of Sherlock draws quality people. Take a bow folks

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 18, 2012 7:10 pm  #38

The thing I like about this board is it doesn't make me feel old in the fandom anymore...I'm 25 and whenever I go to fan meet ups most of the people there are between the ages of 13 and 17, lol. You do get a handful of us "oldies" but whenever I go I act just as childishly as the 13 year olds so age is really just perception.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 18, 2012 8:19 pm  #39

kazza474 wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Oh my gosh...on the John/Sherlock thing and why it's appealing to women - I'm just getting warmed up. As soon as I get the time I'm going to start writing about it here - at least from my point of view.  I do think maybe we need to have our own Topic on it so people not interested don't have to go there.  However, even in this area there's a wide variety of interpretions and preferences - not all of which involves seeing these two in a physical relationship.  (I personally see John as strongly heterosexual).  It's the deeper "something" I'm trying to get at - a bigger something that's taking these two "somewhere" beyond the conventional - and taking us along with them as they discover where it is they're going. It has sparked my imagination and obviously those of many others. Not sure if it's been deliberate on the part of the creators - I think maybe some of it was - but maybe even Moftiss didn't realize the extent of the chemistry between these two that has engendered all this speculation. 
Stayed tuned for my thesis coming soon to a Forum near you! 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 18, 2012 8:53 pm  #40

That just proves that you can swoon over a certain detective at any age

And, awww, Molly, you're so cute!
(Sorry, I just "awwwed" at you .___.)

Board footera