BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2014 7:35 pm  #1

Downloading Season 3

I am in the US and have not seen Season 3 yet. (Seems sometimes like I'm the only one?)

Someone else from the US saw the episodes at the UK dates by downloading them, via app, from the BBC web site.

Now, I don't have a smart phone....my phone is an older-style cell phone, so everything I do electronically is on my main computer, so I don't do many apps.

I didn't want to watch a "bootlegged" or illegally shared file. (Apparently the BBC-dowload thing is legal, and free, but they probably don't want it shared.)

Itunes is now showing a Season 3, but when you look at it closely, it shows that the "episodes" are documentaries ABOUT the show; however the caption says it has the episodes?

Or, maybe the episodes will be there after this weekend? Any other suggestions for downloading?

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (January 17, 2014 7:40 pm)

January 17, 2014 7:46 pm  #2

Re: Downloading Season 3

As far as I know, all downloads you can get from the pertinent portals/file sharing sites are illegal. The BBC will only let you watch or download their shows if you are actually in Great Britain or have a British IP address.

To access the BBC iPlayer from outside of Britain, there are ways of doing it, by using software/add-ons that will mask your own IP address and "pretend" you're using a British one. I'm not sure if that's actually legal, it's probably a bit of a grey zone because in order to legally watch the BBC, you need to be paying a UK license fee.

Last edited by TeeJay (January 17, 2014 7:47 pm)

January 17, 2014 8:16 pm  #3

The software that hides the IP is not illegal per se, but using it means you are ignoring the distribution laws of the UK, and if you don't feel comfortable using an illegal source, I guess you don't want to do that either.

If you really want to see the episodes you can buy the third season in amazon.co.uk, it's cheap and it will be available in a few days, but unless your dvd player is region free, or you are willing to change the region of your computer, something you can only do a few times until is locked forever,  I don't recomend it.

Last edited by Molly (January 17, 2014 8:17 pm)

January 17, 2014 8:57 pm  #4

You can buy the episodes also on iTunes as far as I know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 17, 2014 9:04 pm  #5

iTunes might also have a region restriction. I know that in Germany you can only buy things off the German iTunes, which doesn't have the same range of products than, for instance, the US iTunes.

January 17, 2014 9:10 pm  #6

Have to be quick for the BBC app.. The BBC episodes are being taken down between this Sunday and next Friday.

January 17, 2014 9:36 pm  #7

I used Qvod software. Yes I know it's not perhaps 100% legal but I'm gonna buy the DVD anyway so they'll get their money's worth from me.

This software is safer than torrenting or streaming but unfortunately you have to be able to read Chinese to be able to use it.

Most interesting watching with Chinese subtitles. I'm glad they didn't bother to dub. Series would have sounded really weird in Mandarin.

January 17, 2014 10:05 pm  #8

U.S. people: US itunes is advertising a "Season 3" product, but I can't tell if it's the episodes or just the documentaries about the making of the show.

January 17, 2014 10:32 pm  #9

I this what US itunes offers? or did you find other videos? I'm asking because I don't have an itunes account and I'm a little lost, but if that's what you can buy from the US then you are right, those are not the episodes, they are documentaries about the series, the actual episodes are longer than that, you can see it in the UK itunes store.

Maybe you can buy them from the UK store but I'm afraid TeeJay is right, usually digital content has geographic restrictions, which means you won't be able to buy the episodes via itunes until they appear in the US store.

January 17, 2014 10:48 pm  #10

I watched the episodes on youtube, with annoying little blackouts every few moments (put there, I assume, to keep them from being taken down). I don't know whether it was legal for the person who put them up to do so, but, as I have already pre-ordered the DVDs, I felt fine in watching them.

From an enjoyment perspective, I can't recommend them, as I feel I missed much watching them that way (I always watch movies with captions, and missed them sorely). I can't wait to see them again when my DVDs come next month some time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

January 17, 2014 11:35 pm  #11

If you just google sherlock free online there are plenty of choices. Which maybe a reason behind   broadcasting it over a short period and releasing it on DVD almost immediately. Less tempting to download illegally.

January 18, 2014 12:04 am  #12

America going up this Sunday on PBS Masterpiece! Yay! Will be good to watch on a bigger screen the my computer. I'll be watching, taping, and have the DVDs ordered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 18, 2014 1:27 am  #13

KeepersPrice wrote:

America going up this Sunday on PBS Masterpiece! Yay! Will be good to watch on a bigger screen the my computer. I'll be watching, taping, and have the DVDs ordered.

Because Sherlock is like eating potato chips, you can't stop with just one!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2014 2:13 am  #14

Molly wrote:

I this what US itunes offers? or did you find other videos? I'm asking because I don't have an itunes account and I'm a little lost, but if that's what you can buy from the US then you are right, those are not the episodes, they are documentaries about the series, the actual episodes are longer than that, you can see it in the UK itunes store.

Maybe you can buy them from the UK store but I'm afraid TeeJay is right, usually digital content has geographic restrictions, which means you won't be able to buy the episodes via itunes until they appear in the US store.

Yes, that is what I found on itunes too. I'm hoping it changes (and the episodes are added) after Sunday.

Board footera