BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2014 9:56 am  #1

Benedict wins Critics Choice Award (short rant)

Well, this is all very nice but really, not even nominating him for any of his acting parts and giving him the award as Hottest Hollywood Actor? I think it is about time to concentrate on his work again instead of handing him around as a sex symbol. Of course he is attractive but so are many others. It is the work that distinguishes him. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/2014-critics-choice-awards-winners-671707

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 17, 2014 10:20 am  #2

Re: Benedict wins Critics Choice Award (short rant)

You are damned right! He is a BRILLIANT actor. Can this be once recognised please???
Maybe he has chances with his Alan Turing...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 17, 2014 10:30 am  #3

But what does 'Hottest' even mean, in this context? Does it really mean 'sexy', or does it mean that he's in great demand in Hollywood right now...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 17, 2014 10:55 am  #4

This is exactly what I mean. In fact it can mean everything - nicest tux on the red carpet, most beautiful smile, most films in a year ...
I think the fans voted in this category which is fine. But this does not excuse the fact that he was not nominated as an actor. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 17, 2014 10:59 am  #5

The fact that he wasn't nominated as an actor once again is what I call a 'political decision'. There's only one movie he could have been nominated for, "The Fifth Estate". And since that movie wasn't a big success, they wouldn't even dream of nominating anyone from that movie, no matter how brilliant the performance. Which is utter and complete bull***, but that's how these things work.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 17, 2014 11:08 am  #6

His role in "12 Years a Slave" was to small, even to be nominated as an supporting actor... I suppose?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 17, 2014 11:13 am  #7

gently, probably, but just think about Dame Judi Dench and her Oscar for "Shakespeare in Love"... eight minutes on screen, something like that?
But again, that was a political decision, because she was nominated in the previous year and didn't win. Same thing happened with Russell Crowe, he was nominated for "The Insider" and didn't win (but he should have, IMO), so the following year he won for "Gladiator". I mean, come on, "Gladiator"...?!?!

But then again, Michael Fassbender would always win as "Best Supporting Actor", just because his role in "12 Years" was bigger than Benedict's and he had more opportunities to really show his talent than Benedict.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 17, 2014 11:16 am)

January 17, 2014 11:15 am  #8

Possibly. And he does not have so much screen time in AOC either although the two scenes I saw were brilliant. It is a fact that he has done most of his best work so far on television, not in cinema. And in Britain they do excellent TV while in Hollywood there might not be so many good roles for him. But we should not give up hope. 

January 17, 2014 11:25 am  #9

So let's put our hopes on "The Imitation Game".

(Tony Hadley)

January 17, 2014 11:46 am  #10

SusiGo wrote:

It is a fact that he has done most of his best work so far on television, not in cinema.

So true - and let's not forget his performances on stage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 17, 2014 11:52 am  #11

Oh, yes. Love the two I had the chance to see. 

Not to mention the radio work ...

Last edited by SusiGo (January 17, 2014 11:52 am)

January 17, 2014 11:57 am  #12

Well.... I am confident that his time will come, also on the big screen. And then he can't be ignored any more.

(Tony Hadley)

January 17, 2014 5:32 pm  #13

I like to think it's because he's such hot property in films at the moment and that's why he got the award.  Not many people can be getting the coverage he is at the moment with so many films out.

Let's assume it's because everyone wants to work with him, not just that he is unbelievably attractive!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'i'm in shock, I've got a blanket'

January 17, 2014 9:45 pm  #14

I do understand your feelings Susi.  Another example for me is him getting a BAFTA for basically having a good year.  He deserves a BAFTA specifically for his work in Sherlock and I think he will get one.  Agree with gently that his time is coming.  Right now his career is a snowball rolling down hill, it's only going to get bigger and pick up speed as it goes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera