BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2012 10:31 pm  #1

Regional dishes

As a bit of fun tell us what the regional dish or dishes are of the area you live in. If you live in an area/country different from where you originate from maybe you can give us the dishes from both.

To start the ball rolling........

The regional dish from where I live would probably be fish and chips or a roast (beef, pork or chicken) with 3 veg. Dessert (pudding) would be apple pie and custard.

I must  say we also have a vast array of restaurants with cuisine  from all over the world too: Indian, Bengali, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Portuguese, French plus Nandos! Also pubs that do really nice food and drink, too.

Last edited by Davina (June 15, 2012 10:32 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2012 11:10 pm  #2

Re: Regional dishes

Australia has an unofficial national 'dish' : the meat pie.
Not just ANY pie, this is the single serve, hold in the hand variety.

Now this may seem bland & boring to you non-Aussies but trust me, we are all 'pie-ologists' here & all have expert opinions on which is better, how to eat them, which sauce, if any should be used and HOW one should devour this item.

In South Australia, they started their own unique way of eating a pie & came up with a dish called a "Pie Floater". I have never had one & have no desire to do so. I will however describe it for you.

They get green peas & cook them till mushy (its like a really thick pea soup), plop that in a bowl & add the pie upside down on the top & add Tomato Sauce on the top.

It's origins are described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater

Here where I live, if we want peas with our pies, we simply cook them normally & pop them under the pie top; we know the right amount of time to cook peas; down South they are a little hazy on that  & the floater is their attempt to cover up their shortcomings as pea cookers.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 11:54 pm  #3

Québec is known for its poutine. Fries, cheese and brown sauce, miam !

Last edited by Milkomeda (June 15, 2012 11:55 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 16, 2012 12:00 am  #4

Is that like Barbeque sauce?
And is the cheese melted or just grated over the top?

I'd have to be in the right mood to eat that, lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 12:06 am  #5

We have this easter dish here called "mämmi". When Gordon Ramsey was here and tasted our traditional cuisines, he said it looked and tasted like shit. What do you think? You eat it with milk or cream and it's not that bad, actually.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 16, 2012 12:12 am  #6

"Mämmi is made from water, rye flour, and powdered malted rye, seasoned with dark molasses, salt, and dried powdered Seville orange zest"

Ewwww, um no, that's not for me thanks anyway,lol.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 12:15 am  #7

More for me then.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 16, 2012 12:42 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 16, 2012 12:24 am  #8

Milkomeda wrote:

Québec is known for its poutine. Fries, cheese and brown sauce, miam !

I believe poutine's brown gravy is beef gravy (called sauce in some parts of N. America). Not BBQ flavored.

June 16, 2012 12:29 am  #9

OHHHH chips & gravy with grated cheese. We have chips & gravy... not sure about putting cheese on it though.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 12:34 am  #10

Davina wrote:

As a bit of fun tell us what the regional dish or dishes are of the area you live in. If you live in an area/country different from where you originate from maybe you can give us the dishes from both.

To start the ball rolling........

The regional dish from where I live would probably be fish and chips or a roast (beef, pork or chicken) with 3 veg. Dessert (pudding) would be apple pie and custard.

I must  say we also have a vast array of restaurants with cuisine  from all over the world too: Indian, Bengali, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Portuguese, French plus Nandos! Also pubs that do really nice food and drink, too.

Greetings from the US's New England seacoast. Steamed Maine lobsters. Lobster rolls (lobster/mayo sandwiches on a big fat bun). Steamed clams, scallops, shrimp (or fry any of those, yum). Fish and chips (fried cod or haddock with french fries) served with coleslaw on the side. New England clam, fish or seafood chowder (the white stuff). "Butter and sugar" corn on the cob in August, dripping with butter and salt. Potato salad with sliced boiled egg in it. Deviled eggs. Italian sandwiches made with salami, provolone, onions, green peppers, black olives and tomato slices, with or without a spicy oil dressing. Blueberry or apple pie in season. Ice cream, anytime of year, even in a snowstorm in January. Local micro-brewery beer.

June 16, 2012 12:43 am  #11

UK. 1999. Wirral. Best fish & chips I've ever eaten. One of the reasons I desperately want to come back to UK sooner than later.

June 16, 2012 1:05 am  #12

Philadelphia Cheesesteak

Actually a Philly cheese steak is not filled with steak, but rather with processed pressed beef, cheddar cheese, onions, mustard, lettuce, tomato if you want it and enough cholesterol and fat for a triple bypass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

June 16, 2012 1:16 am  #13

That cheese steak thingie looks totally worth having a heart-attack. I'm a meat-eater in the umpteenth generation. I want to have on of those bad boys some day.

June 16, 2012 1:18 am  #14

Dramagod wrote:

That cheese steak thingie looks totally worth having a heart-attack. I'm a meat-eater in the umpteenth generation. I want to have on of those bad boys some day.

Send me your address and I'll mail you one

June 16, 2012 1:22 am  #15

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

Send me your address and I'll mail you one

It's funny. This nice american lady sent me years ago a jar of peanut butter in the mail when I told her I'd seen people eat it in movies all the time and that I had never tasted it. When it arrived I realised it doesn't really taste like anything. It's more like tasteless paste that you don't know where you should put it. Then later of course I realised there's this foreign shelf in many food markets here where you get get stuff from around the world, including peanut butter.

I'd love to give you an address but considering how long it would take it to get here... I'm willing to have a good clean heart-attack over it, not food poisoning for it being rotten by the time it gets here.

June 16, 2012 1:31 am  #16

Dramagod wrote:

But it's processed meat; I call it 'plastic meat'. Full of preservatives & additives. I couldn't stomach that at all.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 16, 2012 1:35 am  #17

kazza474 wrote:

But it's processed meat; I call it 'plastic meat'. Full of preservatives & additives. I couldn't stomach that at all.

That is correct.  I could not eat one either. I know few women who do. Mostly it is men who enjoy them. But they will eat anything

June 16, 2012 1:37 am  #18

ancientsgate wrote:

I believe poutine's brown gravy is beef gravy (called sauce in some parts of N. America). Not BBQ flavored.

Yes, exactly : ).
Brown gravy, fries and cheese curds, not grated or melted and, yes, Kazza, the cheese is essential !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

June 16, 2012 1:38 am  #19

kazza474 wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

When I was younger I thought the Backstreet Boys song "Get Down" was good. I can stomach quite a lot.

June 16, 2012 2:36 am  #20

<<<It's funny. This nice american lady sent me years ago a jar of peanut butter in the mail when I told her I'd seen people eat it in movies all the time and that I had never tasted it. When it arrived I realised it doesn't really taste like anything. It's more like tasteless paste that you don't know where you should put it.>>>

Tasteless? Peanut butter? Really? Well, it tastes like what it is, ground up peanuts, oil, sugar and salt.

As to where to put it, to eat it best, it should go on white bread, and it should be eaten with a good-quality Concord grape jelly. Best PB here in the States is the original Jif, best jelly is Welch's Concord Grape, and any soft, highly-refined white bread will do.

PB is good on bananas.

PB is good on saltine crackers.

PB is good on celery, with raisins dotted along the top-- that's called ants on a log here in the US, lol.

PB is good licked off a knife or a spoon.

Maybe it's an acquired taste-- most of us Americans grew up on it.

Last edited by ancientsgate (June 16, 2012 2:37 am)

Board footera