BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2014 3:22 am  #1

Sherlock's Popularity with Women, In-Universe

Sherlock Holmes does not usually have as many female admirers as he does in this series. (The Irene Adler of canon is not REMOTELY into him.)

Does anyone think that they have women falling for Sherlock to reflect how women feel about Benedict? That the females who are in love with Sherlock, in-universe, are sort of mouthpieces for female Benedict fans?

(I imagine, when Scandal in Belgravia is on):

Irene: I would have you, right here on this desk, 'til you beg for mercy twice.

Female viewers watching: "Get in line, Irene" or "You and me both."

January 12, 2014 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock's Popularity with Women, In-Universe

Well I think part of the answer to that is that most dramatised versions of Sherlock Holmes takes part in the original universe, that is Victorian England, and women simply didn't have sexual desires back then. Sex was something to suffer through so that one may have children. And a woman most certainly didn't go hunting a man.

And the Irene Adler of canon is a woman who has just married a man she loves. In that situation, most straight women wouldn't have eyes for a random stranger, no matter how clever or attractive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 12, 2014 1:49 pm  #3

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Well I think part of the answer to that is that most dramatised versions of Sherlock Holmes takes part in the original universe, that is Victorian England, and women simply didn't have sexual desires back then.

Um, maybe you meant that women at that time did not express their desire publicly? Because, seriously, I don't believe that women really did not have such a desire.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 12, 2014 1:57 pm  #4

Men and women were sexually repressed back then, but women far more than men.  It's amazing how virtue has been connected to a lack of sexuality, even in today's world.  I've yet to see how liking sex is amoral, but many people believe that.

Last edited by sj4iy (January 12, 2014 2:01 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 12, 2014 1:57 pm  #5

Of course, but that does not make them being born without desire.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 12, 2014 2:07 pm  #6

Yeah, I find that hard to believe... Sexual desire isn't really much of a choice, is it? I wish it was, but I'm pretty sure it's entirely natural.

As for the main question, I think it makes sense, because in the twenty-first century, the average girl has a lot of crushes throughout her life, even if they're really tiny ones. I have more crushes than I can handle, except they're all small enough interests that I can usually ignore them in the name of sanity. I don't even consider myself the average girl when it comes to guys.

I (do) would definetly have a crush on Sherly, as I think very many women would, because he's got so many qualities that catch a girl's attention. He's handsome, if you don't think he's odd, he's enigmatic, he's smart, he's strong. He's a really great guy if you can deal with the mental/social issues and his Work. So it's unsurprising that he's intriging.

January 12, 2014 2:21 pm  #7

Are there that many women; apart from Molly, who do fall for him in the earlier episodes?

I can see it being a thing now. After all Sherlock is a good looking young detective that regularly features on the TV, newspapers and blogs. 'the famous Mr. Holmes.'

In the real world the crew try to keep the fans out of shot; but perversely in Sherlock world it would be quite normal for fans of the detective to congregate outside of 221B hoping to catch a glimpse and maybe an autograph. After all 'brainy is the new sexy'.

Last edited by dartmoordoggers (January 12, 2014 2:23 pm)

January 12, 2014 2:28 pm  #8

dartmoordoggers wrote:

Are there that many women; apart from Molly, who do fall for him in the earlier episodes?

I can see it being a thing now. After all Sherlock is a good looking young detective that regularly features on the TV, newspapers and blogs. 'the famous Mr. Holmes.'

In the real world the crew try to keep the fans out of shot; but perversely in Sherlock world it would be quite normal for fans of the detective to congregate outside of 221B hoping to catch a glimpse and maybe an autograph. After all 'brainy is the new sexy'.

What woman had the chance to approach him in the earlier episodes? Rudeness often undermines good looks. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 12, 2014 2:29 pm  #9

Yes, that's a good point. And he didn't seem too surprised by Kitty Riley's 'performance'. So he probably has fans that are really like that.

I, on the other hand, was cringing at the indecency. How dare she try to make Sherlock uncomfortable like that? Sorry, I know this is off topic, but I don't like Kitty, and her whole fan act makes me uncomfortable. "Will you sign my shirt?" "Nope, that's it, go now!" She repels me, too.

January 12, 2014 2:30 pm  #10

Mary Me wrote:

dartmoordoggers wrote:

What woman had the chance to approach him in the earlier episodes? Rudeness often undermines good looks. 

Yeah, I sometimes wonder why Molly even liked him. I wonder if she saw a side of him besides the cold, rude detective?

January 12, 2014 4:32 pm  #11

Schmiezi wrote:

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Well I think part of the answer to that is that most dramatised versions of Sherlock Holmes takes part in the original universe, that is Victorian England, and women simply didn't have sexual desires back then.

Um, maybe you meant that women at that time did not express their desire publicly? Because, seriously, I don't believe that women really did not have such a desire.

Sorry should have been more specific. I meant "didn't have sexual desire in the eyes of society". In the real world the probably had.
But the question is, would they have know what it was they were feeling? When you have no word for it, no where to go read about it, no one to tell you (at least proper ladies wouldn't have).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 12, 2014 6:16 pm  #12

MahnSherlolly03 wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

dartmoordoggers wrote:

Yeah, I sometimes wonder why Molly even liked him. I wonder if she saw a side of him besides the cold, rude detective?

I really wonder about Molly too...and John, frankly. I see what people see in Benedict, but I have trouble with they see in this version of Sherlock. He is just TOO MEAN. Makes it harder to believe in "Johnlock." Canon-Holmes, and Brett's Holmes, had mean streaks, but there was more...I don't know...romance, in their relationships with their Watsons.

And because it WAS the Victorian era, it was easier to believe that there were things going on that weren't shown, because they couldn't be shown. In today's media, there's not much need for subtext.

With regard to the question of men's or women's "virtue": in the original "Scandal in Bohemia" of canon, we are supposed to believe that a King will be "ruined," in that his princess-fiance will not marry him, if she learns of his past relationship with Irene Adler (of which Irene has proof). because the princess is just that puritanical. I guess I would sort of have thought that queens and princesses of that time would accept their husbands doing such thing...or just blame it all on the woman involved. I kind of think that really, the King wanted to disgrace Irene in the eyes of her new husband.

January 12, 2014 8:34 pm  #13

I guess I was thinking of Irene...does she not count, because she was "just playing the game?" I thought her infamous "have you on the desk," line probably reflected how many female fans feel about Benedict. 

January 12, 2014 8:43 pm  #14

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I guess I was thinking of Irene...does she not count, because she was "just playing the game?" I thought her infamous "have you on the desk," line probably reflected how many female fans feel about Benedict. 

She was playing, but she got a bit too into it. I don't blame her either...

January 17, 2014 1:57 am  #15

Even the granted the differences in how people were supposed to behave in canon-era, you did have men and women pairing off. But not Holmes - if a female client or interview subject is attracted to anyone, it's Watson. (Holmes even comments on it.) On the other hand, real-life women were into Holmes, in that era, when they read the stories. The illustrators made him more physically attractive than Doyle intended.

Board footera