BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2014 8:57 pm  #161

Re: What Sherlock did...

besleybean wrote:

Destroy peoples repuatations yes and I'm sorry, somebody being made to feel bad enough and committing suicide is not the same as putting a bullet in somebodys' temple.
I am a tad disturbed if people do not respect the rule of Law.
I want to live in a civilised nation, not some banana republic with lynchings and mob rule.

Is it that different though? The end result is the same. A person is dead. It's obviously different from the law stand point but is it that different morally?  It may be worse as by shooting someone personally you remove the choice from them completely. If you try to manipulate them into killing themselves they stand more of a chance. What if you are really good at manipulation though. Does it make a difference if you have 100% success rate at convincing people to kill themselves? Would it not be the same as actually pulling the trigger?

It depends, I suppose,  which stage of Kohlberg's moral development you look at those issues from. The law is based on the conventional stage four. That's were most people operate. Post -conventional stages are based on abstract principles rather than driven by authority and social obedience.  Individuals who operate on that level may end up as visionaries or anarchists. You may find it reassuring though that they are few and far in between so we are unlikely to deteriorate into a banana republic any time soon.

January 16, 2014 9:01 pm  #162

I think the intention of the creators of the film was to show indeed that killing someone is always a terrible thing - and we can tell anythng but that Sherlock takes this decision lightly. On the other hand, it was obviously implied that killing Magnussen is the only way to stop him. And, frankly, I don't get why some people think that M. didn't do anything really "terrible": he drove lady Smallwood husband to suicide and caused another member of the comssion, John Garvie being arrested. Not such a big deal? But why he did it? Because he was being interrogated about his meddling with British politics and he didn't want to be disturbed in whatever dirty manipulation he was involved. He said he wanted to "own" Mycroft. Why? Obviously, because Mycroft = Government. When he flicked John's face he said "I do it to whole countries". And he said quite clearly that Sherlock's mistake in judgment will "destroy the lives of everone he loves and holds dear". In short, Magnussen is shown as an incarnation of the evil of our modern world (related to the power of media, show's reccurent motive), the most repugnant and dangerous "dragon" to by slayed.   

January 16, 2014 9:01 pm  #163

besleybean wrote:

I get all that.
Still not convinced it was right.

Actually it WASN'T "right", or clearly, morally "good". And I think that's the whole point; this is about compromised values; Sherlock , who has built a life out of "playing on the side of the angels", who has built a career chasing down murderers,  has become a murderer. For John. 

January 16, 2014 9:02 pm  #164

I have a certain amount of respect for anarchism...some of my personal friends are anarchists!
I just always worry the poor and vulnerable would suffer in a lawless society, these are the people the law is supposed to protect.
Incidentally, I am normally a ' the law is an ass' kind of person.
But I am rarely satisfied with executions.
miriel68@Really?
You thin CAM is worse than a tin pot dictator or a mass murderer or a paediohile or a rapist?
@RavenMorganLeigh Yep.

Last edited by besleybean (January 16, 2014 9:06 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2014 9:15 pm  #165

Oh yes, I totally admire him taking the fall.
At least his was real, unlike in some of the World's largest religions!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2014 9:33 pm  #166

besleybean wrote:

I have a certain amount of respect for anarchism...some of my personal friends are anarchists!
I just always worry the poor and vulnerable would suffer in a lawless society, these are the people the law is supposed to protect.
Incidentally, I am normally a ' the law is an ass' kind of person.
But I am rarely satisfied with executions.
miriel68@Really?
You thin CAM is worse than a tin pot dictator or a mass murderer or a paediohile or a rapist?
@RavenMorganLeigh Yep.

If anything, he's worse. This isn't like Wikileaks, CAM isn't doing this out of altruism, or the conviction that we must live in a transparent society. His motive is enjoying and expoiting the power he has over everyone else.  
And don't forget that truth has nothing to do with it. He's not using pressure points to gain more freedom for  human beings poor or rich. He's a predator that couldn't be held accountable. Again, not saying that excecution is "right". I actually am anti-death penalty, by the way. However, CAM really left Sherlock no choice, if he wanted to save John and Mary. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (January 16, 2014 9:36 pm)

January 16, 2014 9:35 pm  #167

I think he is a monster.
But I prefer: charges, arrest, couurt, judgement and punishment, but no deathh penalty.

January 16, 2014 9:38 pm  #168

From an utilitarian perspective, killing CAM was most definately the most ethical choice. And it seems pretty obvious that Sherlock and particularly Mycroft are utilitarians most of the time. However, our brains are not really wired that way and they are not perfect utilitarians either. 

BTW, did any of you ever follow a course on ethics philosophy? There's no one theory that's always right. People don't really understand ethics, we partly reason and partly just feel them. 

January 16, 2014 9:42 pm  #169

Yeah, been there, done that and bought the tshirt.
Well I live in hope that the law sets out the best case possible.
I know it fails a lot of the time, but in matters of trial and(not) execution, I feel it gets it about right.

January 16, 2014 9:43 pm  #170

besleybean wrote:

I think he is a monster.
But I prefer: charges, arrest, couurt, judgement and punishment, but no deathh penalty.

On what charge? The was no proof. And this is a guy who had leverage with the Prime Minister. Whole countries were under his pressure points. If it were that easy, George Bush and co. would all be in jail.

January 16, 2014 9:45 pm  #171

Um why is this last episode an Aristotelian tragedy?

January 16, 2014 9:46 pm  #172

So now I'm gonna have to defend bloody Bush!  Tee Hee.
He was the leader of a nation recognised by the UN and decided to go to war.  Whatever you think of that, it's allowed.
All CAM did was be clever enough not to be caught, hardly his fault!

January 16, 2014 9:58 pm  #173

silverblaze wrote:

BTW, did any of you ever follow a course on ethics philosophy? There's no one theory that's always right. People don't really understand ethics, we partly reason and partly just feel them. 

There is a good evidence that we feel more than reason actually. If you put people in the scanner and ask them to solve ethical problems the main part of the brain that lights up is the one that deals with emotional processing, not rational thoughts.

January 16, 2014 9:59 pm  #174

anjaH_alias wrote:

Hanka wrote:

miriel68, you're not really contradicting me here. I'm okay with people murdering others on TV, it happens, it should be shown on TV/in literature. I am just very unhappy with the way it is dealt with: not at all. Sherlock kills somebody, then there's about a minute of people being shocked, and then, surprise, three minutes later, Sherlock just comes back to solve yet another crime. Mycroft is over it. John is over it. Nobody even implies that this is wrong, a murderer not facing justice because he is oh so intelligent and needed (why? He just 'solved' a problem in the worst possible way). The characters are joking again already, and apparently ready to go 'back to business'.

I actually don´t get what you feel here, but I can tell you what I feel since Sunday: I feel a huge cramp around and in my breast whenever I am thinking about that scene. It´s so dark, really dark. I see that child crying, which brought himself into that hopeless dead end situation. I understand it and I see and feel how it suffers, how everybody around him is suffering. The jokes I hear are bitter gallows humour, grim, not funny at all. Sardonic. I am really touched and feel sad.
I can´t understand what you read in that scene, I don´t see what you see. It´s one of the most striking, impressing, tragic and thinkworthy scenes which I saw since ages. It makes me think about that matter, I am asking myself questions - what if or if not? -, and this is much more moving and deep as any of that morally clotted, political correct blab of so many other films I saw. I really salute to Stephen Moffat here - what he made is courageous and profound.
And so I can´t understand how anybody can watch this with his/her everyday point of view, doesn´t see the beauty of that scene and is resistant to that tragedy. Is it self protection or am I too romantic?

I'm with you here, I did like that scene, it was very well done. I think I spoke too harshly when I said the murder was not dealt with at all - it was. However, only incredibly short so, and, as I expressed, the scene on the plane - Sherlock talking to Mycroft, the two of them as well as John joking again already - redeems the scene right after the murder for me. They should've cut that thing with Moriarty and Sherlock coming back out - I would've been better off with a cliffhanger rather than a nice, short wrap-up telling us that everything's okay. And as some of you mentioned, I do hope and expect, obviously, that this murder will be dealt with in the next series, but I was very disappointed in the way it has been dealt with by now.

January 16, 2014 10:00 pm  #175

So depressing.

January 16, 2014 10:07 pm  #176

besleybean wrote:

All CAM did was be clever enough not to be caught, hardly his fault!

I give up!

January 16, 2014 10:18 pm  #177

besleybean wrote:

I think he is a monster.

Seconded.
Just because I(or whoever) think(s) somebody deserves to die, doesn't mean it's right. Therefore: don't kill people.

I think something you're all forgetting here is that nobody is head of this world. Magnussen didn't rule the world, not even Europe, not even England. There's always a way (other than murder). I'm not going to annoy you and repeat my various suggestions, I've posted them in this and another thread.
And now I'm gonna stop inflicting my opinions on you, done that long enough I suppose

January 16, 2014 10:18 pm  #178

belis wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

There is a good evidence that we feel more than reason actually. If you put people in the scanner and ask them to solve ethical problems the main part of the brain that lights up is the one that deals with emotional processing, not rational thoughts.

At the risk of going a bit off topic, there are some interesting psychological experiments that demonstrate the same thing too. The railway experiment is pretty famous. Whether you're somehow involved with someone or something, whether it has a face to you, is often more important than weighing the costs and benefits. You actually see that in the scene too, I doubt Sherlock would have killed CAM for an abstract client, Mycroft doesn't even understand why he's bothered at all. 

January 16, 2014 10:27 pm  #179

Swanpride wrote:

@Shezza Because the idea behind this kind of tragedy is that the hero makes a decision at one point of his live which unknowingly sets everything which is important to him on a path of destruction. When the fact is revealed to him, his only way out is to willingly take the fall for everyone - or let them suffer. Sherlock at the end of the episode is in exactly this kind of situation. There is no honorable way out for him, so he willingly takes the fall.

Mmm I'd hesitate to call Sherlock's plight in the last episode a true Greek tragedy, especially because there is actually no real tragedy. Sherlock doesn't die, he doesn't lose anybody close to him and saves the day which is about the most anti-tragic thing conceivable. Can you talk about tragedy when nothing actually tragic happens?

January 16, 2014 10:32 pm  #180

Agreed. And he still has lost John in a way even if he likes Mary and wishes them to stay together. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera