BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2012 5:12 pm  #1

What Canon story are you reading?

Post which story you're currently reading or planning to read next...and then when you've finished maybe you could post a short report telling everyone what you thought of it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 7, 2012 5:19 pm  #2

Re: What Canon story are you reading?

I'm on chapter 3, part 2 of ASiS. I'm quite knew to canon stories an donly satrted last month!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 7, 2012 5:40 pm  #3

I am reading The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist at the moment.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 7, 2012 7:00 pm  #4

Oh, I enjoyed A Study in Scarlet! Although it was kinda sad.. :/

Next is Hound!

June 7, 2012 7:17 pm  #5

During ironing heaps of laundry I was listening to "The adventure of the second stain". Nice one. Reminded me of Scandal in Bohemia and Poe's Purloined Letter.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 7, 2012 11:07 pm  #6

Today I read Lady Frances Carfax. I really enjoyed it. Plenty of actual action and live people getting buried in coffins, grim stuff.

June 8, 2012 4:11 pm  #7

Keep on reading, folks. New "canon" quiz coming soon...

I read through the canon each year, though I confess I now skip a few of the stories. : (

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 8, 2012 11:59 pm  #8

I just finished The Five Orange Lemon Pips, and didn't make the connection to the pips in TGG until I read of it in another thread in this forum.  (Thanks, Davina!)  It took me longer to figure out that pips means seeds than it did the meaning of the three letters that are so important to this story.  I found the story's end somewhat unsatisfying as it didn't really explain much.

Right now, I'm in the middle of The Man with the Twisted Lip.  What I find interesting so far is the attitude towards opium use as expressed here.  And the mystery of what happened to the man who disappeared is intriguing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 15, 2012 10:00 pm  #9

I'm reading these stories for the first time so every twist comes as a surprise to me. Today I read "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" and "A case of Identity" while I was sitting in the bus. Next up "Silver Blaze". While I'm reading I do try to crack the case before finishing the story but maybe I'm not that smart cause I can't solve any case before it's releaved. Can you guys solve them while you're reading or at least come up with a theory that's close to what turns out has happened?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

June 15, 2012 10:42 pm  #10

Rarely, is the answer to that. In English use the work 'resolved' instead of 'releaved', your English is fantastic by the way.

I visited Finland  once, with the kids when they were small. We saw Santa Claus and my son tried to run his little sister over with a sledge! It was dark most of the day but I really liked the herring, just as well really, as there was a lot of it! Bitterly cold, went on a reindeer sledge ride and skidoo. Came back with Lappish hats but no frostbite, thankfully!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2012 10:45 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

R. In English use the work 'resolved' instead of 'releaved', your English is fantastic by the way.

I think it was a typo & "revealed" was the word.

#grammarnazi

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 10:53 pm  #12

Yes, the word I was pathetically trying to say was indeed "revealed". Correcting my grammar and saying my English is fantastic in the same sentence, are you messing with me, Davina? Because if you are, I'll sue you for everything you've got.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 15, 2012 10:57 pm  #13

What's the policy in here for "double-posting"? Meaning you post two posts in a row without comments between? Forbidden or frowned upon like Grey Poupon on a cracker?

@Davina - you should visit Finland in the summer. It's so green here it makes The Shire look like Egypt. Thousands of lakes, mosquitoes, sauna, me in shorts. You should consider this. Although the winter in Lapland is quite an experience as well.

Last edited by Dramagod (June 15, 2012 11:00 pm)

June 15, 2012 11:14 pm  #14

I was trying to be kind! It is what my German teacher does when he's going to correct something I've said that isn't...quite right. Finland in the summer sounds appealing, except the mossies! They like to bite me a lot! So it sounds a bit like Scotland in the summer. Lots of insect spray needed.

Double posting? I don't think anyone minds. I had to on the alphabet game earlier or we were never going to get  beyond X! (Resists writing lol here to avoid disapproving 'tut' at other end) . Oops...and again!

Last edited by Davina (June 15, 2012 11:16 pm)

June 15, 2012 11:25 pm  #15

I know you weren't trying to bust my chops. I was just messin' with you, girl. I had a German teacher as well. All I can remember from my highschool German though is "lederhose" and "es tut mir leid". It's useless. You can't even order coffee and a donut with those.

Whereas there are moors and plains (if I'm correct) in Scotland, here it's mostly trees and potato and hay fields. I've been to the UK twice, but I would really like to visit Scotland and Ireland some day. I want to climb on a hill wearing only a kilt and shout with a sword in hand: "There can be only one!".

June 16, 2012 3:13 am  #16

I was in Scotland once in June. The light at 11pm was amazing.

I'm reading Hound of the Baskervilles right now. It contains so many things that the series made reference to, that at first I constantly wanted to jump back and forth between the book and the forum. Finally, I decided that I should just read and enjoy the story. I like it because it's longer -- more plot and character develoment.

Is anyone else reading it now, and, if so, what do you think?

June 16, 2012 4:21 am  #17

I'm currently reading Study in Scarlett.   I've decided to start over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 16, 2012 8:18 pm  #18

I'm' re-reading The Sign of the Four.    so enjoyable.

June 18, 2012 7:36 pm  #19

Oh my God, can I just recommend The Devil's Foot...it was BRILLIANT! Definitley on my top ten list.

June 19, 2012 7:18 am  #20

I am reading The Valley of Fear

Board footera