BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 9:48 am  #1

The "I love series 3" thread

So, the title may be a bit exaggerated but during the last days I have grown a bit sad tbh. There is so much negativity going around here. We have always been critical and observant about the series which is fine. 
But I want to have a place where we can discuss and appreciate what we liked and what is good/brilliant/fine about series 3. I think I may not be the only one. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2014 10:06 am  #2

Re: The "I love series 3" thread

I love so many things about series 3! The reunion, fake theories, music, the wedding speech, the hug, Sherlock's mind palace (breathtaking), the fake engagement (giggle),... and especially Mycroft! He's one of my favourite characters now. And Ben and Martin were amazing!

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

January 15, 2014 10:15 am  #3

Nice idea!
And even though there were quite a few things in this series that left me a bit... helpless, disappointed, underwhelmed, there still was lots and lots of stuff that I absolutely loved. And I think it's important to remind ourselves of these good moments.

So, what did I love?
- the Mind Palace sequence, which visually is a blast
- the Stag Night sequence, I'm sure I'll always be giggling when I see it
- the courtroom sequence
- large parts of Sherlock's wedding speech
- the first and the second 'explanation' of how Sherlock survived The Fall
- all the Christmas scenes with Sherlock and Mycroft at their parent's house
- The Empty Houses
- the reunion(s)
- CAM - yes, I think I might have fallen in love with Lars
- the empty armchairs...

And this probably isn't all...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 15, 2014 10:20 am  #4

You are definitely not the only one!

There are so many things I love about series 3, but let's pick one of them at random. The new, improved visualisation of the mind palace, for example. I am not only refering to the sequence where Sherlock gets shot, but also for example to the scene where John and Sherlock are on their way to get into Magnuson's office.
It is already influencing the way I am writing about the mind palace in my fanfic.

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 15, 2014 10:21 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 15, 2014 10:23 am  #5

I think the writers have been quite courageous in making some daring choices which one may like or not. They could have gone on as before relying on things that worked and were successful which would have been the safe thing to do. 
And I love to see how the characters develop and change and change again and interact. For me Sherlock has always been more drama than crime series and in series 3 this becomes quite clear. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2014 10:31 am  #6

Someone mentioned "too much comedy" in S3, especially E1.  He/she fears, the whole show might become a comedy.
I don't. S1 and S2 have been VERY funny already - and I loved the comic parts in S3. All of them. Just saying. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 15, 2014 10:36 am  #7

Your new signature makes that quite clear, Matt!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 15, 2014 10:39 am  #8

Mattlocked wrote:

Someone mentioned "too much comedy" in S3, especially E1. He/she fears, the whole show might become a comedy.
I don't. S1 and S2 have been VERY funny already - and I loved the comic parts in S3. All of them. Just saying.

Exactly. And what I love about TEH and especially TSoT is how there is so much comedy and yet this undercurrent of sadness, the feeling that there are darker things to come. IMO this makes the contrast in HLV much stronger as if the whole series had been in the same mood and atmosphere. 

January 15, 2014 10:46 am  #9

I love Sherlock's "It was Mycroft" when Mummy catches them smoking.

January 15, 2014 2:00 pm  #10

Schmiezi wrote:

I love Sherlock's "It was Mycroft" when Mummy catches them smoking.

...........and there's a childhood in a nutshell.    

I have only minor complaints about anything in Series 3.  I was so overwhelmed to be taking part in my first "live" Series of Sherlock and so excited to share in the fun here I think it would've been very hard to dissapoint me. 

The creators have said repeatedly that this is not a "detective show" but "a show about a detective."  And that's very much how I see it.  This is really not CSI Baker Street. The cases are thrilling but not as fascinating as our strange beautiful brilliant detective and his stedfast blogger.   After what we went through in TRF I believe we needed this series to be about how the characters sorted out all those emotions and found a way to move forward. 

I also think that Sherlock has reached a point of popularity where there's going to be some backlash.  Some people are going to be impossible to please and will pick everything apart in tiny pieces.  At some point there may even be a segment that decides that it's not "cool" to like Sherlock anymore.  You know the type.  Well, bless them and goodbye.  I myself will continue to trust the creators and watch and enjoy.

Oh wow.  I didn't originally intend to rant.  *slowly steps away from soapbox*

I LOVED Series 3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 15, 2014 2:39 pm  #11

What did I love? OMG, what DIDN'T I love! I'm not on the haters/critics team on this. 

The three writers convinced me that they really know what they're doing. They managed to go in new directions and go deeper with the characters while still keeping the heavy plots and dramatic tension.

The music, the direction, the look, everything was building onto what already existed, keeping in style and also moving on. Really loved the new electronic music. 

Is it just me or is the acting really better too? Especially Benedict was more subtle than ever and could show more of his range. 

Funny, snappy dialogues, full of subtext, never ever cheesy. They've outdone themselves on this.

Mycroft. As a self-confessed Mycroft fan I was so happy to see more of him. Did Mark get all the good lines this season? It's always a risk to give a mysterious character a bigger role, but with Mycroft, I think they pulled it off. 

Mind palaces. Wow. 

This is becoming a very long way of saying that I basically loved everything. 

January 15, 2014 3:01 pm  #12

I'll probably say more later, but for now, I'll throw in my two cents and say I LOVED series 3. Absolutely loved it, of course there are a couple things I'm cautious about where the writers will go (Mary, the baby and such), but I did (do) love it! The sheer character development and attention in this series was incredible, I love that what they've done with that, especially Sherlock...he broke my heart, several times throughout the course of all three of those episodes, John too, but I love what they're doing with Sherlock. Sherlock and John, their love and bond...god, utterly heartbreaking. I really like how the show is developing, keeping what makes Sherlock Sherlock while evolving it too, changing some things, trying something new. As much as I love Sherlock, it can't be the same forever, a show that never changes in any way often becomes stagnant and predictable, change can be good and here....I think it is very good, I have not at all lost faith in the writers (although that Moffat really tore my heart a new one with HLV *sniffles*) and the actors were even more brilliant in their roles. The direction was also well done, especially in TSoT. And there was just so much emotion intregrated incredibly well with plot this series, and I loved it. I can't wait for the next series!!!!!  In the words of tumblr....

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (January 15, 2014 3:02 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------

January 15, 2014 3:33 pm  #13

That is the right thread for me!

There were much more parts which I loved than I had to criticise.

Amanda... Mark... fantastic. And Lars Mikkelsen... a perfect baddie to hate... he was so outstandingly disgusting
And you certainly know what I think about Benedict and Martin...

Martin's adorable performance in the reunion scenes... could feel his grief deep in my heart...

Sherlock's best man speech... what can I say...

Mind palace and The Empty House/ Baker St. scenes in HLV...

Just picked these facts... for me proof of an excellent series!
The parts I didn't like are meaningless for the whole "package".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 15, 2014 3:43 pm  #14

THANK YOU.  I was thinking the same thing and it has been discouraging.  Personally, this was easily my favorite series and I think all three episodes were intriguing and well written.  It was a different direction and very risky, but that's why I loved it.  I had no idea what to expect and that was absolutely great.  The writing, acting and cinematography were all amazing.

So glad we have this thread.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 15, 2014 3:45 pm  #15

I love love love both TSoTT and HLV. I am still very unsure about TEH, I need to watch it again one day but I can't right now when there is TSoTT and HLV at the same time ;-). But TSoTT and HLV really exceeded all my expectations, so for me personally series 3 was definitley a success!

And now I want more!

The Game is On!

January 15, 2014 3:47 pm  #16

sj4iy wrote:

THANK YOU.  I was thinking the same thing and it has been discouraging.  Personally, this was easily my favorite series and I think all three episodes were intriguing and well written.  It was a different direction and very risky, but that's why I loved it.  I had no idea what to expect and that was absolutely great.  The writing, acting and cinematography were all amazing.

So glad we have this thread.

100% YES! *fist bump* 

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (January 15, 2014 3:47 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------

January 15, 2014 4:11 pm  #17

Oh, finally! The thread I was looking for!
YES - I DO LOVE SERIES THREE!
It was definitely worth the wait.
I wouldn't hesitate to have this written on the front of my T shirt.
And on the backside, of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 15, 2014 4:14 pm  #18

So many new ideas for T-Shirts this series!

January 15, 2014 4:16 pm  #19

The thing about us obsessed fans; we're a bit like professional wine tasters. They taste all kinds of things, round bouquet, woody aftertaste, smokey flavour (I'm making this up since I'm not a wine taster but you'll get the idea). The wine taster loves wine a lot more than the average person, but because of his knowledge he'll have much more difficulty to appreciate a normal wine, which, on parties, will probably make him a wine hater. The normal person might miss all the wine subtleties, but still enjoys a good drink. 

We might become critical with plot lines, whether this or that was OOC, whether Moftiss did their research on a sciency bit, but that's only because we're so in love with the show. It does ruin the fun a bit, though. 

January 15, 2014 4:19 pm  #20

Btw: Is "you could print that on a t-shirt" a common expression? I recognized it has been used two times - which....err.... I didn't like that much the second time. 

But in general I LOVE S3!!! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera