BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2014 7:37 am  #21

Re: The memory stick

I'm that case, why would they show a close up? Why not show it in the fire from a distance?
There are no errors like this in Sherlock IMO

January 14, 2014 8:10 am  #22

Well if he made a copy of it. He can still throw the original away, why would he need the original one? The files could be copied to a hard drive, any other flash drive and so on. Why the efford of faking it?
So I think it is a continuity error, but yet still he could have copied it.

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 14, 2014 8:12 pm  #23

The moreI think about it, the more I think the memory stick is really significant. Especially the letters written on it. it's rare they provide us with such a lot of detail without a significant payoff at some point. I think we are going to find out even more about Miss Mary's evil past next season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 14, 2014 9:15 pm  #24

No, there are quite a lot of continuity errors in Sherlock, there's another thread about that somewhere here. If it were a clue you would have been able to spot it without pausing and blowing up the image. It's supposed to be the same stick, they would have needed a new stick for every take so they probably made a lot of them. 

January 15, 2014 12:46 pm  #25

It could also be a red herring...

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 15, 2014 1:57 pm  #26

Interesting observation about the memory stick. They are clearly different. It's not only the fading, it's the way of writing. Why wouldn't the prop guys just use the same stick? Unless of course , they mislaid the original one. Can always happen...
I really think, John has forgiven Mary, and he BELIEVES, he chucked the original into the fire. It's just not in John's character to double cross. But Sherlock could've switched the sticks, since he might have anticipated such a gesture from John. Let's face it, we're not done with Mary in a long time, and Sherlock might've thought, there is vital info on that stick, which cannot be allowed to get lost forever. If he wants to be a protector, he has to know everything there is to know about Mary.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 15, 2014 1:58 pm)

January 15, 2014 2:05 pm  #27

It's true, that whoever wanted to know about Mary, didn't have to make a new stick, since it just could be copied.
BUT, if this is really a clue, it is the only way, the makers can hint to us, the audience, that this info about Mary might not be lost after all. And the longer I think about it.... I don't think, Sherlock would let go of vital information....

January 15, 2014 2:17 pm  #28

I agree with that. The different memory sticks might not be a clue, but no way Sherlock hasn't kept a copy of it. Unless he's really gone crazy.

And if Mycroft knows about that stick, he's also not going to let it get lost forever.

January 15, 2014 2:30 pm  #29

Ozma wrote:

I agree with that. The different memory sticks might not be a clue, but no way Sherlock hasn't kept a copy of it. Unless he's really gone crazy.

And if Mycroft knows about that stick, he's also not going to let it get lost forever.

The letters on the stick or sticks were written by the same person, could easily be that they were rewritten on the same place because it wore off but the same handwriting on both. I wouldn't rule out that you are seeing 2 sides to the stick also & the writing is on both sides.
No doubt there would be more than one of this prop as it is kinda important to the plot. That's usually par for the course.

As to Mycroft wanting to know what's on the stick .... why? No interest to him whatsoever.

Moffat & Gatiss have always maintained any 'clues' can be seen without zooming & slowing etc. They don't waste time with things like that, they want people to enjoy the show as is; not pull it apart.

Finally, there are heaps of continuity errors in these shows. As said before, many have been pointed out throughout the forum.

Last edited by kazza474 (January 15, 2014 2:31 pm)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 15, 2014 2:36 pm  #30

ozma, I don't think Mycroft even knows about the stick. He probably doesn't even know, that Mary shot Sherlock. Only Sherlock and Mary know that between the two of them. And CAM did, of course.
But no matter, if the stick at Chrismas is meant to be a clue or not, I really don't think Sherlock would allow this info to get lost forever.

January 15, 2014 2:45 pm  #31

Fefster01 wrote:

Well, who knows? Sherlock and John will have a plan . John could safely have lots of babysitters, leaving him free to sleuth away. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

If they're looking for an Aupair I'm happy to leave my number lol

John Watson: "He’s clueing for looks"

January 15, 2014 3:01 pm  #32

Lol.

January 15, 2014 5:20 pm  #33

kazza474 wrote:

Ozma wrote:

The letters on the stick or sticks were written by the same person, could easily be that they were rewritten on the same place because it wore off but the same handwriting on both. I wouldn't rule out that you are seeing 2 sides to the stick also & the writing is on both sides.
No doubt there would be more than one of this prop as it is kinda important to the plot. That's usually par for the course.

As to Mycroft wanting to know what's on the stick .... why? No interest to him whatsoever.

Moffat & Gatiss have always maintained any 'clues' can be seen without zooming & slowing etc. They don't waste time with things like that, they want people to enjoy the show as is; not pull it apart.

Finally, there are heaps of continuity errors in these shows. As said before, many have been pointed out throughout the forum.

To be fair though  I didn't do any slowing down or zooming in. It was obvious to me when I watched the show for the second time. Especially as the camera was virtually shoving it down our throats.
Why bother lingering on the memory card if it's not significant?

January 15, 2014 5:47 pm  #34

Fefster01 wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Ozma wrote:

To be fair though I didn't do any slowing down or zooming in. It was obvious to me when I watched the show for the second time. Especially as the camera was virtually shoving it down our throats.

It was important because they wanted to show that John is really finishing with him wanting to know something about Mary´s past. He destroys it and therefore can´t later get attempted to read it out of a certain feeling.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 15, 2014 5:48 pm)

January 16, 2014 9:40 am  #35

Fefster01 wrote:

Dramatic purposes. It gives the viewer time to digest exactly what is being thrown away here. That dramatic lingering pause replace dialogue such as this:

"This item holds the key to this woman's past. If he keeps it & reads it, his whole world could fall down around him.But he loves her and he wants to trust her, he knows she has changed and left that life because she loves him. If this memory card is destroyed he has nothing but his own instincts and emotions to rely upon in deciding if he can spend the rest of his life with this woman. But yet he is willing to throw it away and put his trust in the love they have for each other."

That's the power of cinematography, words need not be used because frankly, it would have sounded schmaltzy if anyone had uttered similar words.
This production DOES have moments of cinematographic power throughout all series; a lingering shot says much more than any amount of dialogue ever could. Which is why you need to spend one viewing just sitting back taking in all on screen; not deducing, not questioning ....  just watching.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 16, 2014 9:50 am  #36

kazza474 wrote:

Fefster01 wrote:

Dramatic purposes. It gives the viewer time to digest exactly what is being thrown away here. That dramatic lingering pause replace dialogue such as this:

"This item holds the key to this woman's past. If he keeps it & reads it, his whole world could fall down around him.But he loves her and he wants to trust her, he knows she has changed and left that life because she loves him. If this memory card is destroyed he has nothing but his own instincts and emotions to rely upon in deciding if he can spend the rest of his life with this woman. But yet he is willing to throw it away and put his trust in the love they have for each other."

That's the power of cinematography, words need not be used because frankly, it would have sounded schmaltzy if anyone had uttered similar words.
This production DOES have moments of cinematographic power throughout all series; a lingering shot says much more than any amount of dialogue ever could. Which is why you need to spend one viewing just sitting back taking in all on screen; not deducing, not questioning .... just watching.

I agree.

January 16, 2014 11:56 am  #37

I would like to discuss something else here regarding the memory stick:

I think we can be quite sure that Sherlock knows what is on the USB stick which again which leads to two questions imo:

1. why is he not worried about John being together with Mary? He obviously knows things about her that would make her go to prison for her whole life, and while we agree that Sherlock is not an angel himself, there is surely a different quality to what Mary has done.

2. (more important for me because it has not been discussed at all to my knowledge): as Mary knows that Sherlock knows stuff that would make John stop loving her in a split-second (acc. to herself) and being in a reltionship is the most important thing to her in the world: doesn't that mean automatically that Sherlock is still a huge danger for Mary? One that she maybe wants to get rid of sooner or later? She was also not happy in the slightest when Sherlock returned in the end.

The Game is On!

January 16, 2014 12:19 pm  #38

Marva wrote:

I would like to discuss something else here regarding the memory stick:

I think we can be quite sure that Sherlock knows what is on the USB stick which again which leads to two questions imo:

1. why is he not worried about John being together with Mary? He obviously knows things about her that would make her go to prison for her whole life, and while we agree that Sherlock is not an angel himself, there is surely a different quality to what Mary has done.

2. (more important for me because it has not been discussed at all to my knowledge): as Mary knows that Sherlock knows stuff that would make John stop loving her in a split-second (acc. to herself) and being in a reltionship is the most important thing to her in the world: doesn't that mean automatically that Sherlock is still a huge danger for Mary? One that she maybe wants to get rid of sooner or later? She was also not happy in the slightest when Sherlock returned in the end.

Good questions, Marva. I also believe, no matter if the memory stick in the fire is a clue or a continuity error, that Sherlock copied that stick. But remember, Mary gave John that stick on her own accord, and she's as clever as Sherlock. So she must know, that Sherlock will probably read it. Maybe she even wants Sherlock to read it, because there's info on that stick, which might be important for Sherlock. So, she must think, there's something on it, which would cause John instantly to fall out of love with her. This could be something about the way, she met John, like her seeking him out for a purpose, but then falling in love with him. Sherlock assumed correctly, that Janine wouldn't want to see him anymore, when she realizes, that he used her. So Mary could initially have made contact with John for a purpose, too. Actually, it's very likely, that they didn't end up just by chance. So, Mary could assume, too, that John will fall out of love with her, when he learns, that he was used at least initially. But she might think, that the knowledge of that detail wouldn't turn Sherlock against her. And if Sherlock knows about that detail, he wouldn't necessarily conclude, that Mary is still dangerous. Though she might be a formidable adversary in season 4, if she has the slightest fear, that Sherlock might potentially wreck her marriage.

January 16, 2014 5:18 pm  #39

I'm pretty sure Sherlock would have read the information on the stick. Even if John kept it hidden, or attempted to, we know by now that he can't keep ANYTHING secret from Sherlock.

Seeing as Mary gave up her old live five years ago though, I honestly do think that her and John met by chance and her love for him is genuine. I think the information on the stick will involve things that she's done in her career, possibly the amount of people she's killed and some of the methods she's used, things she believes will put John off her for life (but in reality, probably wouldn't)

As for whether Sherlock took a copy, that would depend on whether he knew John was planning to throw the stick onto the fire or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 16, 2014 5:36 pm  #40

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I'm pretty sure Sherlock would have read the information on the stick. Even if John kept it hidden, or attempted to, we know by now that he can't keep ANYTHING secret from Sherlock.

Seeing as Mary gave up her old live five years ago though, I honestly do think that her and John met by chance and her love for him is genuine. I think the information on the stick will involve things that she's done in her career, possibly the amount of people she's killed and some of the methods she's used, things she believes will put John off her for life (but in reality, probably wouldn't)

As for whether Sherlock took a copy, that would depend on whether he knew John was planning to throw the stick onto the fire or not.

I agree that Sherlock would certainly have taken a copy, even if it resided solely in his mind palace, and it's possible that John took one as well. It would be very useful in divorce and/or child custody proceedings.

I am less convinced that Mary was living a normal life; London is one of the most expensive cities in the world and it is simply impossible to live here with your sole income as a part time nurse. So Mary is getting money from somewhere; the question of where will be solved in Season 4.

Or not...

Board footera