BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 6:34 am  #61

Re: Pressure Points

It was also a bit public, neither accepting it really was goodbye...
I thought Sherlock may actually be going to tell John about Irene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2014 12:35 pm  #62

Swanpride wrote:

To be honest, the first time I thought that Sherlock's hands were cuffed behind his back - I was totally surprised when he suddenly gave John his hand.

So was John.

January 15, 2014 12:47 pm  #63

Ozma wrote:

shezza wrote:

I think that by HLV John has completely forgiven Sherlock. His composed reaction at the goodbye scene I think is due to three things:

a) he's a married man with a kid on the way. Like y'all are saying, he's moved on. He has other responsabilities now, and he has "a new game" to play (namely fatherhood). It's Sherlock who hasn't moved on (how could he?).

b) He doesn't know Sherlock's in mortal danger. Even if Sherlock outright tells him it's unlikely they'll ever see each other again, that must be small fries in comparison with the grief he felt after he saw his best friend jump to his "death" two years earlier. He's probably thinking that Sherlock will reappear, like he always does.

c) There's his wife and Mycroft looking on.

I think the fact that Mary, and especially Mycroft are there looking at them is one of the main things for John. As we've seen in TEH, in the underground scene, John found it hard but still forced himself to say the words he wanted to say to Sherlock - because they were alone. So much so that he even made him swear not to tell anyone once he found out they were safe.

At the airport they are not alone, and even though probably Mary and Mycroft are unable to hear them, they can still see them and this is a problem for John.

In a lot of ways John is even more emotionally stunted than Sherlock. With very few exceptions, his emotional range seems to be humor, irritation and anger. Boy, can he do anger. But those are emotions hetero males are allowed to freely express in our culture without any implication of Teh Gay. Because God knows, John is not even the slightest bit gay. Nope, not a bit, because he'll be sure to tell you, and, oops, here comes that irritation again!

January 15, 2014 12:52 pm  #64

I agree. It's fascinating to me how Sherlock seems fairly at ease with expressing emotions through crying - which for male heroes in particular (but also for females) is one of the biggest signs of weakness. He still doesn't appear weak, let's make it clear, but he doesn't seem afraid to show tears, or red eyes.

john, instead, fights it constantly. Like he fights all other 'weak' emotion - ie. the desire to hug Sherlock

Last edited by Ozma (January 15, 2014 12:53 pm)

January 15, 2014 2:10 pm  #65

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Well, yeah!    John has lots of friends--well, people he knows and can hang out with...he's "normal," to all outward appearances, anyway.  But Sherlock only has one friend: John.  So the gap in his life caused by Sherlock's absence, while devastating at first, eventually dulled and can be filled in a way by being around other people he gets along with.  But Sherlock doesn't have other people he can hang out with, so he feels the absence of John more deeply.  That's why Sherlock shows emotion in the farewell scene but John doesn't.  Sherlock needs John but John doesn't need Sherlock to be happy.

There is a similar observation regarding their counterparts in canon.This makes Sherlock Holmes' character more poignant.

Last edited by holmes23 (January 15, 2014 2:17 pm)

January 15, 2014 3:15 pm  #66

Ozma wrote:

I agree. It's fascinating to me how Sherlock seems fairly at ease with expressing emotions through crying - which for male heroes in particular (but also for females) is one of the biggest signs of weakness. He still doesn't appear weak, let's make it clear, but he doesn't seem afraid to show tears, or red eyes.

john, instead, fights it constantly. Like he fights all other 'weak' emotion - ie. the desire to hug Sherlock

Yes, but, to be fair, he believed he was gonna die. 

January 15, 2014 3:21 pm  #67

silverblaze wrote:

Ozma wrote:

Yes, but, to be fair, he believed he was gonna die. 

no absolutely. But John also believed he was going to die, and still didn't cry, or at least not as openly as him.

January 15, 2014 4:22 pm  #68

Ozma wrote:

no absolutely. But John also believed he was going to die, and still didn't cry, or at least not as openly as him.

That's where we differ. I think Sherlock was succesfully vague about the mission and John didn't know it was a suicide mission. 

January 15, 2014 5:17 pm  #69

I think this too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2014 9:30 pm  #70

Quick remark on Sherlock's pressure points. How can CAM know about Redbeard ? I mean the other pressure points could be 'relatively' publicly know due to John's blog and maybe some press reports, but how could he know about his pet when he was a child ?
Could it imply a connection with Mycroft who is one of the few knowing Redbeard (and having made a recent reference to it in TSOT) ? Could this potential connection be the reason why Mycroft wants to keep Sherlock away from CAM ?
I had the feeling that the way Mycroft used this reference in TSOT is relatively similar to CAM's use of it in HLV. Just one word to destabilize Sherlock.
What do you think ?

'The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes'

January 15, 2014 9:34 pm  #71

I just assumed CAM had ways of finding  out...ooh, from Richard Brook's article?!

January 15, 2014 9:54 pm  #72

Easier way: CAM and Mycroft are big chums, aren't they? 

January 15, 2014 11:37 pm  #73

How is it that Sherlock is not one of John's pressure points?

January 15, 2014 11:39 pm  #74

Victoire wrote:

Quick remark on Sherlock's pressure points. How can CAM know about Redbeard ? I mean the other pressure points could be 'relatively' publicly know due to John's blog and maybe some press reports, but how could he know about his pet when he was a child ?
Could it imply a connection with Mycroft who is one of the few knowing Redbeard (and having made a recent reference to it in TSOT) ? Could this potential connection be the reason why Mycroft wants to keep Sherlock away from CAM ?
I had the feeling that the way Mycroft used this reference in TSOT is relatively similar to CAM's use of it in HLV. Just one word to destabilize Sherlock.
What do you think ?

oh, totally. It seems Redbeard can turn into a precious weapon for whoever knows what it means to Sherlock.

January 16, 2014 1:50 pm  #75

LoveBug54 wrote:

How is it that Sherlock is not one of John's pressure points?

That is exactly my big problem... So sad. I don't like john in HLV. So distanced...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 16, 2014 1:56 pm  #76

If I remember right this has been discussed before in exactly this thread. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 16, 2014 2:31 pm  #77

What's so difficult about this? CAM wanted to get to Mycroft. He worked out that Sherlock was his pressure point. In order to blackmail Sherlock he looked for his pressure point and found it with the bonfire scene. John. Then he looked at John, and found his assassin wife. 

January 16, 2014 2:38 pm  #78

Moreover, John was the only readily available pressure point. 

Redbeard is a dead childhood dog; drugs and a past case (the Hounds) don't offer as much blackmailing potential and Irene is presumed dead (nobody, not even the MI6 knows she's still alive); and Moriarty, he's dead too. John was the only one who could be exploited, and his pressure point had her own BIG pressure points herself.

Last edited by shezza (January 16, 2014 2:44 pm)

January 16, 2014 3:18 pm  #79

Redbeard was there for the creep factor. Imagine how you'd feel if a supervillain knew such a personal and painful childhood memory of yours. Yuck. 

January 19, 2014 4:04 am  #80

I think Sherlock is not listed as a pressure point for John because John sees Sherlock as essentially invulnerable (what with the returning from death, genius and apparent lack of emotion).  Someone you love can't be used against you unless they can be got at.

That would also be a factor in John's reticence at the farewell, along with recent severe and prolonged emotional trauma and a general trouble with expressing his emotions.

Board footera