BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 6:33 am  #41

Re: The other brother - my head just exploded

I wonder how they gonna translate "the other one" in German, because they will have to use either a male or female form at least.

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 15, 2014 8:09 am  #42

zeratul wrote:

I wonder how they gonna translate "the other one" in German, because they will have to use either a male or female form at least.

haha, the translators are going to love that

January 15, 2014 8:22 am  #43

Ozma wrote:

zeratul wrote:

JOHN: Sehen Sie, Sherlock, dies ist der größte und wichtigste Tag meines Lebens.
SHERLOCK: Nunja...
JOHN: Nein, im Ernst! Wirklich, und ich möchte da oben mit den beiden Menschen sein, die ich am meisten liebe und die mir am meisten bedeuten.
SHERLOCK: Klar.
JOHN: Mary Morstan ...
SHERLOCK: Ja.
JOHN: Und...
JOHN: ... Sie.
SHERLOCK: Sie haben Mary bereits erwähnt.
JOHN: Was? Nein, nein, ich meine...Sie!
SHERLOCK: Ja, sie, ihre Verlobte, Mary, ich verstehe.
JOHN: Nein, Sherlock. Ich rede von Ihnen!
SHERLOCK: Es gibt mehr als eine Mary?
JOHN: MEINE GÜTE, SHERLOCK. SIE, SIE LIEBE ICH!
SHERLOCK: Ja, deshalb heiraten Sie sie doch, oder nicht?
JOHN: *Herr im Himmel, gib mir Kraft*

(stolen from http://semioticsofdeduction.tumblr.com/post/72860009500/meanwhile-in-german-tv-probably-oder-an-adventure-in)

January 15, 2014 8:41 am  #44

Oh, my, this is hilarious.  I just hope it will not be like that!!

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 15, 2014 8:45 am  #45

"Ich liebe Sie" is wonderful. Can't wait for June.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 15, 2014 9:39 am  #46

Yay. That will be so awesome.   What angers me the most that on German Wikipedia the article about Sherlock says, that it's quite fitting that they address each other formally. QUITE FITTING? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?     Sure, it's so common to address each other with and first names and live together and save each other's lives, but still use "Sie". Very, very common. Very fitting. Suuure. 

January 15, 2014 9:55 am  #47

The Doctor wrote:

Ozma wrote:

zeratul wrote:

JOHN: Sehen Sie, Sherlock, dies ist der größte und wichtigste Tag meines Lebens.
SHERLOCK: Nunja...
JOHN: Nein, im Ernst! Wirklich, und ich möchte da oben mit den beiden Menschen sein, die ich am meisten liebe und die mir am meisten bedeuten.
SHERLOCK: Klar.
JOHN: Mary Morstan ...
SHERLOCK: Ja.
JOHN: Und...
JOHN: ... Sie.
SHERLOCK: Sie haben Mary bereits erwähnt.
JOHN: Was? Nein, nein, ich meine...Sie!
SHERLOCK: Ja, sie, ihre Verlobte, Mary, ich verstehe.
JOHN: Nein, Sherlock. Ich rede von Ihnen!
SHERLOCK: Es gibt mehr als eine Mary?
JOHN: MEINE GÜTE, SHERLOCK. SIE, SIE LIEBE ICH!
SHERLOCK: Ja, deshalb heiraten Sie sie doch, oder nicht?
JOHN: *Herr im Himmel, gib mir Kraft*

(stolen from http://semioticsofdeduction.tumblr.com/post/72860009500/meanwhile-in-german-tv-probably-oder-an-adventure-in)

LOL... Brilliant!

Can't wait to watch the German version...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 15, 2014 10:08 am  #48

Hera wrote:

Yay. That will be so awesome.   What angers me the most that on German Wikipedia the article about Sherlock says, that it's quite fitting that they address each other formally. QUITE FITTING? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?     Sure, it's so common to address each other with and first names and live together and save each other's lives, but still use "Sie". Very, very common. Very fitting. Suuure. 

they do the same in the Italian version. I will NEVER, EVER watch that crap. Apart from the fact that I would never want to not hear the original voices FOR THE WORLD (Benedict's, come on!!) they change the dialogues and make them address each other formally... oh, please.

January 15, 2014 10:16 am  #49

Going back to the '3rd brother question', several Holmes' scholars have deduced that there must have been a 3rd, older, brother. In 'A Scandal in Bohemia' Sherlock Holmes is adressed as 'esq.' or 'esquire' this lead several scholars to believe that the Holmes family was a family of land owners and that the oldest brother must have been the heir to the estate and is still running it. They took Sherrinford as his name, since that was the name that was first used by Conan Doyle as the name of Sherlock Holmes.

The name 'William Sherlock Scott Holmes' was first suggested by Phillip José-Farmer, who created a speculative family tree for the Holmes family (infamously making Holmes an ancestor to Spock...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 15, 2014 11:08 pm  #50

Guys there's a thread here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4169&p=1 discussing the German air date and German translation/dubbing. Can we please keep this thread on the topic of the potential third brother?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 16, 2014 12:12 am  #51

With regards to the thoughts of the third brother.  Mycroft says "You know what happened to the other one" to the people in the room.  As if they should and do know.  This suggests that whatever happened has to be recent, most definitely over puberty, or how would these people even know about him.  Also, no confusion from anyone in the room, if anything that is an air repugnant, like the memory of the other one is bitter. 

What ever happened, (although it's implied Mycroft allowed it to happen) it's quite legendary, enough that everyone in the room knows about it.  This is worth bearing in mind when figuring out his backstory. 

It maybe that whatever happened, was the catalyst that pushed Sherlock into drugs.  I could be wrong, but I don't believe Sherlock has said yet, why he turned to drugs.  We just presumed it was the boredom.  Maybe it was the events surrounding the third brother??

ooh, just realised.  He said he is not prone to brotherly compassion.  This could equally mean that something happened TO the other brother, but Mycroft did not seek revenge or to resolve it outside the law because he is not prone to brotherly compassion.  It could also be the source of the 'feud' between him and Sherlock, the thing that made Sherlock convinced Mycroft doesn't really care.  We have by now, presumed the fued is just year upon year of sibling rivalry, but it could be something a lot darker and deeper than we imagined.

Mxx

Mxx

Last edited by Mirthxx (January 16, 2014 12:19 am)

January 16, 2014 1:34 am  #52

You know? I hope the next series explains this other brother. I am really intrigued.

January 16, 2014 11:11 am  #53

I don't think they should bring up the other brother again. Some things are better left to the imagination.

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 16, 2014 1:52 pm  #54

Jacco111 wrote:

Going back to the '3rd brother question', several Holmes' scholars have deduced that there must have been a 3rd, older, brother. In 'A Scandal in Bohemia' Sherlock Holmes is adressed as 'esq.' or 'esquire' this lead several scholars to believe that the Holmes family was a family of land owners and that the oldest brother must have been the heir to the estate and is still running it. They took Sherrinford as his name, since that was the name that was first used by Conan Doyle as the name of Sherlock Holmes.

The name 'William Sherlock Scott Holmes' was first suggested by Phillip José-Farmer, who created a speculative family tree for the Holmes family (infamously making Holmes an ancestor to Spock...)

But why wouldn't the older brother be Mycroft? Was this before he entered the scene? 

January 16, 2014 2:17 pm  #55

I heard it was the fathers secret love child. Seems he had an affair with an exotic dancer who did a bit of typing for a drugs cartel on the side. 

January 16, 2014 2:58 pm  #56

dartmoordoggers wrote:

I heard it was the fathers secret love child. Seems he had an affair with an exotic dancer who did a bit of typing for a drugs cartel on the side. 

Thanks for making me spit out my coffee!   lmao

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2014 3:02 pm  #57

Mmm, didn't the Moftiss have an affair-like backstory that they subsequently dropped? Maybe Mycroft got rid of the 'evidence'. Though I don't think he'd do that, he's cruel but not that cruel. 

January 16, 2014 4:47 pm  #58

Cruel?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2014 8:50 pm  #59

Well, he's not exactly the nicest man you could ever meet, is he? But murder seems a bit out of his range to me. 

January 16, 2014 8:51 pm  #60

Quite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera