BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2014 9:09 pm  #161

Re: Mary

Mrs. Watson wrote:

I have a question: where has John being living during those months? With Mary or back at Baker Street?

Back in Baker Street, is the assumption...

January 14, 2014 9:12 pm  #162

Yeah, it was a few months. It's not enough. For starters, it is a too conditioned relfexion, it would even cause it null consent. John has been so hurt that he may be afraid of being alone. Mary is the mother of his child. She is all he has now, since he can no longer trust that Sherlock is not going to mess things and him up again. Mary is now a good person, or so it seems, but the fact is that there are many reasons to think that she may not be. For God sake that relationship is going to shake. Right now it's unhealthy: John almost had no choice, and I can't see where he's going to get his confidence on Mary back from... and when things settle down, and they're in the couch watching telly as the girl plays around and there's no suspense at all, then he will be able to fully consider if that's what he wants: not knowing.
I just think choosing as he did is just unhealthy, for him, for Mary and for the baby.

❈-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------❈
The only respect that opinions deserve is their free questioning.  

January 14, 2014 9:16 pm  #163

And this is why I think something will happen to Mary that will make her either find some sort of redemption, or finish what she had started. It's not possible that she just stays that way, playing housewife at home, but likewise I would find it weird if they were to just kill her by accident or illness (basically, randomly).

Maybe she'll leave, for some reason?

I do see your point about Sherlock, and I do think John now sees both of them as similar - they have both betrayed and hurt him, and he took both back but is going to be wary (like he was with Sherlock and still is to some extent, he is going to be the same with Mary).

January 14, 2014 9:29 pm  #164

Mary will turn out to be an ethical person. I don't think she just killed for money, she judged every situation and only killed the really dangerous ones. Didn't she say she killed people like CAM? No one here is so harsh on Sherlock for killing CAM. Double standard anyone? 

January 14, 2014 9:29 pm  #165

Well they better get on the same page, if they are about to raise a child...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 9:40 pm  #166

Mrs. Watson wrote:

I watched HLV last night again and at the end (farewell scene) when Mary says "I will keep him in trouble" and Sherlock hugs her and says "That's my girl" it's so obvious that Sherlock really like her and that she really likes him. I love that. They are obviously not very sane people (not sociopaths but nor completely normal, sane people either) so they understand each other and like each other not matter what.

I agree with that. The conventional morality that most people tend to obey by is very much based on emotions (they are processed by same part of the brain and seem to be closely linked). If the emotional reasoning is not your forte (be it by choice or design) than thare is a good chance that your morality is going to be a bit different to what is considered 'normal'.

It seems to me that Sherlock came to a conclusion that shooting him was a logical thing to do at that moment in time and he is consequently 'OK' with it. He had easier job forgiving Mary as they think in similar way.

January 14, 2014 9:42 pm  #167

silverblaze wrote:

Mary will turn out to be an ethical person. I don't think she just killed for money, she judged every situation and only killed the really dangerous ones. Didn't she say she killed people like CAM? No one here is so harsh on Sherlock for killing CAM. Double standard anyone? 

but if that was the case, then why doesn't she want John to read the file?

if all she was doing was ridding the world of baddies, even if that meant murders, she wouldn't have a problem with John seeing it. Especially after she shot Sherlock - she could have said, yes I shot him, but that's not what I usually do, I save the world usually, look!'

Right?

January 14, 2014 9:43 pm  #168

besleybean wrote:

Am I the only person worried that she will die in childbirth? Possibly with the baby.

January 14, 2014 9:47 pm  #169

I am not worried about it, at all!
It would be sad and a tragedy and I would dread the effect on John and Sherlock...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 9:47 pm  #170

belis wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Am I the only person worried that she will die in childbirth? Possibly with the baby.

I'm afraid she will. Not sure if this would be the most "elegant" way to get rid of her. But I can't think of another solution right now. She just can't disappear to Colombia, can she?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 14, 2014 9:47 pm  #171

belis wrote:

besleybean wrote:

You're not the only person.

But they would have to include that in a story arc and not make it just random - but I have no doubt whatever they do they'll do it with a good reason.

Last edited by Ozma (January 14, 2014 9:48 pm)

January 14, 2014 9:49 pm  #172

besleybean wrote:

I am not worried about it, at all!
It would be sad and a tragedy and I would dread the effect on John and Sherlock...

maybe that'll be the thing that fixes their relationship completely...

January 14, 2014 9:51 pm  #173

Swanpride wrote:

Well, it is not like John is totally okay with the situation. He said himself that he is still angry, will most likely stay angry and that this anger might boil to the surface from time to time - but he wants to be with her. And she is ready to accept this, if he just gives her this chance.

I am not sure that John is being entirely truthful in the conversation he has with her before she passes out due to the laced tea; John may not have dumped the original memory stick in the fire, and he may not have Sherlock's blind spot when it comes to motherhood.

Sherlock grew up accepting that his mother had abandoned her career as a mathematician in order to have children; she sacrificed something she was absolutely passionate about for the sake of her children. His reaction to Mary's pregnancy is, I think, greatly influenced by that fact; John may be rather more sceptical. Indeed, John may now be driven by the need to ensure that Mary does not simply disappear, taking his child with her; what other way is there to ensure that it does not happen?

January 14, 2014 9:53 pm  #174

Cos she loves him and wants to be with him?

January 14, 2014 9:56 pm  #175

In canon John is a widower. The writing's on the wall for Mrs Watson, methinks,

January 14, 2014 10:05 pm  #176

silverblaze wrote:

Well, there's actually a big difference, at least in my country, the fact that you're being payed for killing makes the action a lot more reprehensible, which leads to a higher penalty (a lot more years in jail). It's one of the three differences (along with premeditation and treachery or malice -viciousness, I don't know how english people say it) that takes homicide from murder. Both thins are regrettable, but the last is not only that, it's heinous. One can at some point understand the sudden decision to kill CAM, but in no way can I understand killing the innocent for money.

Last edited by Amy Airiel (January 14, 2014 10:36 pm)

❈-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------❈

January 14, 2014 10:11 pm  #177

Ozma wrote:

ok, so I have a few things to say about this:

- I agree that we don't know whether Mycroft knows it was her, everybody can think whatever they want, but frankly what has been said is true that you want it or not - the investigation would start straightaway, and there are just too many details and clues which make it pretty clear there was only ONE person who could have shot him. Again, Mycroft isn't stupid.

To me, though, the fact that Mycroft knows was given away by the scene at the parents' house- with Mummy Holmes going 'If I find out who it is I will go monstrous' and then the camera cuts to Mycroft's face - and his face right then says 'You are bringing them tea right now...'

I continue to think Mary's motives, John's decision to take her back like nothing happened (actually, he thinks it's a 'privilege' to still stay with her!!!) but most of all, Sherlock's efforts to push them back together ABSURD.
The noble thing to do - walk away - was there as an option, but Mary went - oh no, nononono, I finally got married, you ain't taking this away from me! So she stays, and Sherlock not only knows that she has been killing people for money for YEARS, but she has also just promised him she would do ANYTHING (and she proved it) to keep John with him - this anything not meaning she would try to be a better person but, it seems, anything to cover up anything that John might not like. And this is LYING.

The fact that it was done out of love cannot possibly make you think it's ok?? I love Cumberbatch, what am I going to do, go and kill his next girlfriend if she isn't me?? Ah, no, right, I can't because I am not a trained assassin and that's not what I am used to - but if I were it would be fine. WHAT?!

Anyway, Sherlock knows all this, but works very hard to push them back together and basically ensure his best friend stays with a woman who is dangerous. What best friend would do that? Especially when, at the beginning when John found out, he seemed to have pretty much made his mind up about leaving Mary - his moral compass was still working there.

Absurd.

And also, because I can't wrap my head around it - I cannot possibly believe she had no other options but to shoot Sherlock. So let's think: she is standing there, threatening CAM for god knows what reason when she could have just shot him like she had intended to do, and then Sherlock shows up.
If she had said to him, Sherlock, I need your help! that's all it would have needed - surely Sherlock wouldn't have gone - no no, I need to call the police, you bad woman!
He would have kept his mouth shut, even with John, if that was what was needed until the case was resolved. He's done much more than that  in the episode, you can't tell me he wouldn't have.

But no, she doesn't do this - she shoots him. Because he was a witness. Yeah. So, you don't want Sherlock as a witness, but you happily let CAM - and I repeat, CAM! A blackmailer who already has all sort of dirt about you - see that you shot Sherlock, and walk away. REALLY?! CAM IS A PREFERABLE WITNESS?!?
And don't even get me started on the fact that CAM could have told John straightaway if he had wanted to (why didn't he?) - so the 'I shot you so he wouldn't find out' seems like a moot point to me in that context.
I am not saying that she should have shot CAM because then John would have been implied etc, but shooting Sherlock!? To me she deliberately chose the most complicated option.

And I am also hearing that 'she shot Sherlock because otherwise he would have told John'; this, to me, implies she wanted him dead, because surely once he wakes up he sure as hell IS going to tell John then, so that makes your attempt to keep it under wraps useless, anyway. Right?

So many plot flaws, I just can't get my head around it. To me, this was an orchestrated trolling manouvre from Moffat, who wanted us to believe she was going to be out of the picture when actually she wasn't going to be. I love Sherlock but Steve has got to stop making things MAYBE happen, shout wolf when there is none, and start making shit happen FOR REAL.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Also-- the fact that Mary was there, warning Sherlock not to tell John what she'd done, was a big tip off. This is not a person with anyone's best interests at heart than her own. Sure , she loves John-- in the most most selfish way possible. 

January 14, 2014 10:24 pm  #178

Swanpride wrote:

accidentally beats his wife to dead....

this just gave me shivers...

January 14, 2014 10:32 pm  #179

Mouse wrote:

I talked about this a little in another thread, but I think they've basically made Mary into another Sherlock. Here's how I see it:

1. She has sociopathic tendencies (evidenced by the fact that, though she seems fond of Sherlock, she was willing to almost kill him to protect herself; plus, she used Janine to get close to CAM)
2. She loves John deeply - obviously, something about him attracts her
3. John is attracted to her supposedly because she is brilliant and "dangerous"

So is that why Sherlock encouraged John to forgive her? Because he sees Mary as being like himself? "Hey, we're allies...we both love John Watson, we'd both kill and die to protect him. He's ours and we'll share him because we both make him happy, and he'll love and look after both of us and we'll all be happy."

In addition to how twisted this is, I don't want Mary to stay around because I don't want a second Sherlock. I like the one we already have, thank you very much! I liked her in the first two episodes...she seemed like a smart, sensible, funny person, a strong normal woman for a change on the show. I would have been happy to have her stay around if she had been a supporting player like Lestrade, but with her mysterious past and super!spy skills they seem to be setting her up to be a major player, and frankly I'm not much interested in "The Sherlock, John and Mary Show."

this is EXACTLY how I feel.

Thank you.

January 14, 2014 10:35 pm  #180

Swanpride wrote:

I am sure the assassins who took out Osama bin Laden would be happy to know that you consider them more reprehensible than someone who accidentally beats his wife to dead....

That's dogmatism. Someone who repeatedly beats his wife to death is committing murder with malice. Not to mention that Osama Bin Laden was a murderer sought in a legal system very different from mine, with a legal and judicial process that has nothing to do with it. Please, I beg you not to write things that can be misinterpreted, and get informed before doing so.

Board footera