BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 7:43 pm  #21

Re: Drugs: Do you believe Sherlock?

You aren't sure, you think you are and tell yourself, but deep down within you you know Moffat is sitting there smirking, and anything can be.

Terrifying prospect.

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 13, 2014 7:44 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 13, 2014 7:50 pm  #22

Mattlocked wrote:

You aren't sure, you think you are and tell yourself, but deep down within you you know Moffat is sitting there smirking, and anything can be.

Terrifying prospect.

hahaah, TOUCHE'!!!! lol

January 13, 2014 7:57 pm  #23

I don't think that at all.
I think the Sherlock individuals are a hardworking team, who hope their best effrots are appreciated,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 8:00 pm  #24

Of course they are. But you cannot deny they like teasing us.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 13, 2014 8:05 pm  #25

besleybean wrote:

I don't think that at all.
I think the Sherlock individuals are a hardworking team, who hope their best effrots are appreciated,

yes, but come on. They were quite OBVIOUSLY lying and confusing everyone with their tweets yesterday, making everyone purposely believe the person dying was a character they cared about...

It's all part of the experience! And they work hard at it

January 13, 2014 8:11 pm  #26

As I have said elsewhere, I have no problem with them doing that, it's their show.
FANS doing that, I could have done with out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 3:38 am  #27

I wonder if drugs are going to come back again some time. I agree with those who say that Sherlock is not a druggie, at least in this episode. (Also, cocaine is one of those drugs that allows people to be very "normal" at the same time). However, I think there is some interesting back story here! Both John and Mycroft allude to past substance abuse. John says Sherlock should have called and Mycroft says somethign along the lines of "This is the first time your substance abuse has interrupted our parents like dancing". The writers never really tied up the issue of Sherlock and drugs so maybe it'll come back. 

January 14, 2014 4:20 am  #28

I don't think he was taking cocaine. CAM's "pressure points" list included Opium (which is a canon callback I know). I think he was in a heroin den.

Also, others have pointed out there is a difference between a user and an addict. 

Obviously Mycroft and John see it as an addict having a relapse; Sherlock clearly doesn't see it that way. It's a means to an end for him; he's setting up a 'pressure point' for CAM to find, and has no intention of continuing his usage beyond that point. It's just unfortunate that John found him there (although John didn't actually find him, Sherlock got his attention. He could have gotten away with it - interesting that he chose to draw John's attention to his presence).

Last edited by Wholocked (January 14, 2014 4:31 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 14, 2014 7:03 am  #29

He possibly knew he'd done enough.

January 14, 2014 12:18 pm  #30

Sherlock's drug past has always been one of the most interesting things about his character so I'm pleased to see it addressed on screen. In this adaptation his drug of choice isn't cocaine but the family of opiates - specifically opium - "the perfect drug" - and morphine as CAM knew, probably even heroin in a pinch (he was almost definitely high on heroin when John found him), and others in the family - codeine, thebaine, etc. They are all drugs that induce a warm, relaxed, happy if not blissful state and it's clear to see why someone like Sherlock, blessed and in some ways cursed with an hyperactive brain function, might have once been addicted to them.

Last edited by shezza (January 14, 2014 12:23 pm)

January 14, 2014 2:11 pm  #31

I wanted to believe that Sherlock had not actually taken any drugs but I changed my mind when he slammed Mycroft against the wall and said "don't appal me when I'm high."  Sherlocfk was kinda scary there.  This also makes me wonder if Molly was fibbing when she told everyone else he was clean.

But I agree with the idea that Sherlock thinks he can just use once or twice and it not be a problem since it's for a case.  He has a very strong will and tends to ignore the danger to himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 14, 2014 4:32 pm  #32

If a modern Sherlock wanted to use drugs to sharpen his mind he'd be using Ritalin. Apparantly some scientists do this though I'd be surprised if the Moftiss knew this. (People, don't do this, btw, it's not healthy.)

I thought he didn't use because he tested negative and in 'The man with the twisted lip' he also only pretends to use, and freaks out Watson in the process. But we know Moftiss like to subvert the canon.

I don't understand why Molly would be lying, though. Kinda goes against the slapping thing. And he could just say that to Mycrof to threaten him, he was really angry after all. 

January 14, 2014 4:51 pm  #33

Oh I think she found traces.

January 14, 2014 4:56 pm  #34

besleybean wrote:

Yup!

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 14, 2014 5:04 pm  #35

Criosdan wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Yup!

But why would she lie?

January 14, 2014 5:07 pm  #36

silverblaze wrote:

If a modern Sherlock wanted to use drugs to sharpen his mind he'd be using Ritalin. Apparantly some scientists do this though I'd be surprised if the Moftiss knew this. (People, don't do this, btw, it's not healthy.) 

Everybody who watched Desperate Housewives knows 

... and agree, why would she?

Last edited by Harriet (January 14, 2014 5:08 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 14, 2014 5:37 pm  #37

Molly didn't lie, I thought it was obvious that she said "Clean!!!" in a sarcastic/exhasperated way. Like "Yeah, clean, as if!". She was absolutely furious.

January 14, 2014 5:47 pm  #38

Yeah, it was more like "Like hell he's clean SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP"

Having thought about this a little more though, I think Sherlock was genuinely doing it for a reason and was in control of the usage. It's just that Mycroft and John panic about him way too much. Kind of like my parents, really.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 14, 2014 6:04 pm  #39

Swanpride wrote:

Can you blame them? Sherlock is not exactly big on self-preservation. And there are more dangers to drugs than just the drugs itself. What if he gets a bad batch and poisons himself?

I'm sure he probably has trusted suppliers/dealers who provide him with top quality stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 14, 2014 7:13 pm  #40

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yeah, it was more like "Like hell he's clean SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP"

Having thought about this a little more though, I think Sherlock was genuinely doing it for a reason and was in control of the usage. It's just that Mycroft and John panic about him way too much. Kind of like my parents, really.

Right, can't believe I missed that then. I guess sometimes knowing the canon can be a disadvantage. They only ever seem to 'suggest' that he's using, maybe that's all they're allowed to do because of the time slot or something? 

And I agree that he was in control, or at least believed he was. 

Board footera