BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2014 12:09 am  #21

Re: The other brother - my head just exploded

All we know about this third Holmes brother at the moment is that 1) he exists/ed, 2) he's probably dead now (Mycroft's quote, plus the way neither of the brothers ever talks or mentions him) 3) his death was in some way a result of Mycroft's lack of "brotherly compassion". 

And I agree, 4) he was probably named Sherrinford. Or she... could be a sister too, no?

January 14, 2014 6:54 am  #22

All boys would fit my head canon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 7:37 am  #23

Tried to look around the Holmes Christmas House to see if there were any pictures of a third brother, but the only photos are behind John when he first comes into the living room, and they are blurred.  *pout*

Guess, we will just have to wait and see if one turns up.  There is the chance that Moriarty's 'return' is instigated by the third brother, hence the timely mention, depending on how and why he departed from his siblings.

Mxx

Last edited by Mirthxx (January 14, 2014 7:37 am)

January 14, 2014 3:14 pm  #24

They're getting quite far away from the canon in giving Sherlock another brother. Parents were already quite a leap, though obviously canon Holmes must have had parents at some point. That's why I'm still not entirely convinced that Mycroft didn't make it up. 

But why the hell not, canon Holmes never spoke of his family and only introduced Watson to Mycroft when he really needed. Maybe, in this alternative universe, the reason why he never speaks of them is a terrible family secret. 

So this brother, let's call him Sherrinford, somehow gets himself killed due to Mycroft's actions. Might explain why Mycroft is so protective but it makes nonsense of the whole Redbeard thing. Why would you refer to a dead pet to teach a lesson about detachment if there was a dead child? 

January 14, 2014 4:33 pm  #25

Because he died before Sherlock was born or when he was tiny?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 5:00 pm  #26

besleybean wrote:

Because he died before Sherlock was born or when he was tiny?

That would be possible if there was a huge age difference between Sherlock and Mycroft but their conversation in TEH showed otherwise. How could Mycroft be responsible if he was still little himself? 

(There is a huge age difference between the actors though. That's a bit confusing.)

January 14, 2014 8:40 pm  #27

Swanpride wrote:

"The other one" might not be Mycrofts brother but the last agent they send on the mission. Just saying.

That'd solve it. 

January 14, 2014 8:47 pm  #28

Well I think a blood brother is different to a comrade...

January 14, 2014 9:06 pm  #29

I think the other one clearly implied 'the other brother', as in, their third sibling.

January 14, 2014 9:24 pm  #30

I agree with Ozma...and hating to beat a dead horse, but the issue of the similarities bwtween the canonical Moriarty and Mama Holmes are still tantalizing: A missing brother, the genius mathematician, "The Dynamics of Combustion," "So, you're the sane one" to Papa Holmes..."

Besides, on a practical level, Andrew Scott became famous through SHERLOCK (although I first noticed him in the wonderful JOHN ADAMS miniseries with Paul Giamatti). They would not bring him back ( or I cannot imagine his agent allowing him back) for just a teaser cameo in HLV.

No, I would bet the farm that we will be seeing lots more of Andrew Scott in Season 4 (the Sherlolly shipper in me is imagining scenarios where Moriarty/Moriarty's twin brother fixes his mistake from Season 2), the missing Holmes brother will be a major plot device, and Mama Holmes is revealved to be..well...something more.

AND-another point. In the canon, isn't there a lot about how Moriarty mainitains a respectable facade in public? Can't be much more respectable in public than a mid-60's seemingly benign housewife who goes to a matinee of Les Mis. Well, that is if Mama Holmes is the real Moriarty.

Last edited by audreyhorne (January 14, 2014 9:26 pm)

January 14, 2014 9:28 pm  #31

I don't think so...

January 14, 2014 9:30 pm  #32

Swanpride wrote:

"The other one" might not be Mycrofts brother but the last agent they send on the mission. Just saying.

Ohhh could be. 

January 14, 2014 9:32 pm  #33

But we have just been saying: flesh and blood is not the same as a colleague...

January 14, 2014 9:39 pm  #34

Er, I didn't think that was ever at issue!

January 14, 2014 9:40 pm  #35

Swanpride wrote:

Yeah, but we can read this part also as a reminder that the undercover assignment is hardly an act of mercy if Sherlock will most likely die during it.

but Myc was going to save him! Mofftiss were trolling us again!

January 14, 2014 9:43 pm  #36

Well only if he got the others to agree to his plan!

Lazarus is go!

January 14, 2014 9:49 pm  #37

The lady that signed the papers was one of CAM's victims. Sure she doesn't really think Sherlock needs to die for killing CAM. She must think CAM got what he deserved. 

January 14, 2014 10:02 pm  #38

Swanpride wrote:

But she also said that Mycroft's plan was hardly merciful.

exactly, so maybe, with a little more convincing...

January 15, 2014 2:46 am  #39

When Mycroft mentions "the other one", he says it very off hand as if all his staff know about the other brother, and that what happened to him is common knowledge.  I can't imagine that Mycroft's staff would know about a 3rd Holmes brother and Sherlock would not.  So it seems that Sherlock must be aware he has a third brother, and the issue is simply why he hasn't appear edin the plots yet.  I really don't think it's Moriarty.   Also if there is a third Holmes brother I petition that he should be played by Tom Hiddleston.  Just to make me happy.  

January 15, 2014 6:27 am  #40

Oh I can think of another candidate; Ben Wishaw!
How about Matt Smith?
Actually, all the ones we've mentioned are too young!

Board footera