BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2012 7:22 am  #21

Re: Canon Quiz: Character Development - Ends June 15th

Tantalus wrote:

Have you ever heard of any normal foods? You know, like pizza, hamburgers, lasagna, fruit, vegetables... 

Hamburgers? How american!
I only eat beefburgers! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 14, 2012 8:16 pm  #22

cheesburgers!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 14, 2012 9:05 pm  #23

Cheeseburgers?
What actually is a cheeseburger? Isn't it just like a burger with cheese on top...?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 14, 2012 9:08 pm  #24

Okay, everyone, deadline for quiz answers is tomorrow evening (approximately 30 hours from now). Haven't seen much participation so far (I hope that means everyone's holding out on their answers to the last minute).

Let's have a good representation for the ol' canon, ya hear?

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 15, 2012 1:36 am  #25

well here is mine.   I  did the best I could.   It was an exciting journey,  having to read some of the old tales again.   Thank you for a wonderful quiz!!   And I  hope you will explain the Bonus question fully.  Sorry to say,  but this kitty was clueless about that!!   

1. Every story has a beginning. What words did Dr. Watson first hear Holmes say?

A---In  Study in Scarlet,  Holmes greeted  Watson,  shook his hand,  and said,  “how are you? You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.��   

2. Ladies (especially), what colour are the eyes of our detective friend (bonus points if you tell the story in which this information is found)?

A---Holmes has grey eyes.  Don’t know what story,  sorry!!   

3. Each story (or nearly so) gives us a glimpse into Holmes' special deductive powers. What brilliant deduction is the very first one that, through Watson's eyes, we get to see?

A---  In Study of Scarlet, Watson is amazed by Holmes’s discovery of a new test for blood stains,  whether they are old or new.   A haemoglobin test,  or something. 

4. Most of the stories have Dr. Watson as narrarator. Four of them do not. Which are they, and, for those, who relates each drama?

A--The Adventure of the  Blanched Soldier  and The Adventure of the Lion’s Mane were both narrated by Holmes;   “The Mazarin Stone��   and “His Last Bow��   were narrated in the third person,  we don’t know by whom.   

5. Easily, the most popular image of Sherlock Holmes is with his deerstalker hat, Inverness cape, and calabash pipe. In which canon story do we first see Holmes portrayed in this manner?

A---I think it was The Boscombe Valley Mystery.   

6. No one would call Dr. Watson an immoral man, but we do see hints of one particular vice in stories such as "The Dancing Men" and "Shoscombe Old Place". What weakness do these stories (and perhaps one or two others) suggest or show?

A---Dr. Watson is a gambling man…he likes to bet on horses sometimes…he sometimes spends his army pension unwisely. 

7. The best-known illustrator of the stories that appeared in The Strand magazine was a relatively unknown artist. Name the man who gave Holmes his handsome, scholarly, dignified aura.

A--- Sidney Paget 

8. All good things must come to an end. What is the last case (chronologically) that we see Holmes and Watson solving as one unit? 

A--- His Last Bow  was the story.     

9. Related to Holmes retirement, Dr. Watson tells us that Holmes has removed to the Sussex Downs, and occupies himself primarily in two fields of study. What are these two fields?

A--- beekeeping and writing a book upon the subject.  He also  used his retirement to study philosophy and agriculture.   

10. Yikes! Almost done... Watson leaves the rooms at 221B Baker Street at one point, and then returns to live with Holmes again later. Why did he come back, and why did he originally go?

A---After they solved the mystery in The Sign of Four,  in 1887, Watson married Mary Morstan.  Then,  after she died  (1893)  He came back to live with Holmes when he found Holmes alive and well  in the Adventure of the Empty House  (1894)   

11. Moriarty, arch-nemesis of Holmes, never actually meets Dr. Watson. He gets all his information about the professor from Holmes. What is unusual about the way Holmes introduces Watson to Moriarty in the canon? I suspect this question might be hard to follow. I can't make my meaning more clear without giving away the answer. PM me if you wish, and I'll give any hints that I can.

A---In  “The Final Problem��   Holmes appears at Watson’s consulting rooms late at night, and asks Watson to draw the curtains closed.  He then tells Watson the tales of Moriarty,  and that Moriarty was after him, armed with something they called an ‘air-rifle’ back then.    

Bonus: Hidden within the questions themselves is a clue as to what Holmes himself might think of this quiz. Can you find it? Note: If you think you know, feel free to post your answer, but please give us a ***Spoiler*** alert so as not to ruin the fun for others.

A---Sorry,  I have no clue as to this one.      

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 15, 2012 1:43 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 15, 2012 3:53 am  #26

Thanks, kitty! Do you want to know how many you have correct, or shall we wait 'til I post the answers?

June 15, 2012 4:39 am  #27

Tantalus wrote:

Thanks, kitty! Do you want to know how many you have correct, or shall we wait 'til I post the answers?

I want to wait until you post the answers.    Then you may pour my master  a proper cup of tea  and tell me.

Molly--  yes cheeseburgers are hamburgers disguised  with cheese...thus the name cheeseburgers.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 15, 2012 4:41 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 15, 2012 8:27 am  #28

Yeah yeah, I'm posting soon.
I had all the answers and forgot to save the document, so all I have is # 1 , grrrr.
So I just have to retype it out again.
*sigh*

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 11:54 am  #29

I am going to post now, though I cannot be sure of one of the answers.

1. 'I've found it! I've found it! '

2. Grey (Gray for American readers).

3. Study in Scarlet deduction about Doctor Watson himself, Afghanistan etc.

4. The Blanched Soldier and The Lion's Mane (Sherlock Holmes narrates), His Last Bow and The Mazarin Stone (third person).

5. The Boscombe Valley Mystery.

6. Guessing betting (on billiards).

7. Sidney Paget.

8. His Last Bow.

9. Beekeeping and writing a definitive work on investigation.

10. Watson leaves when he marries and returns when his wife dies.

11.(oops) Dr.Watson is introduced, as it were, to Moriarty by Sherlock Holmes suggesting they go on holiday out of the country.

Bonus: the initial letter of each question makes up the word 'ELEMENTARY'.

I really enjoyed researching this quiz. Brilliant job by the setter.

Last edited by Davina (June 15, 2012 1:18 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 15, 2012 12:26 pm  #30

Ok, here goes. (omg, fancy having to do this TWICE! Right here on the desk... ooops never mind)

1. I’ve found it! I’ve found it

2. Grey eyes
- The Adventure of the Retired Colourman
- The Problem at Thor Bridge
- The Three Garridebs

3. You have been in Afghanistan, I perceive.

4. The Blanched Soldier & The Lion's Mane which Holmes narrated  and The Mazarin Stone and His Last Bow which were written in the third person tense.

5. WE don't read about him ever having all three items. We do read about him wearing an earflap cap in Silver Blaze. In the illustrated versions we first saw an illustration with him wearing these items in The Boscombe Valley Mystery.
He often has his pipe in many stories, firstly in A Study In Scarlet.

6. DR Watson gambles & plays billiards at a club.

7. Sidney Padget

8. His Last Bow

9. His time in retirement was divided between philosophy & Bee Keeping. With Bee Keeping, his studies led him to write a book called "PracticalHandbook of Bee Culture with some observations upon the Segregation of the Queen."

10. Watson left Holmes' flat when he married Mary Morstan in 1888. She dies during 'the Hiatus' when Holmes was presumed dead. He moves back in 1894 after Holmes' return after Holmes encouraged him to sell his practice in Kensington.
He again moved out just before " The illustrious Client" (1902) story & was living just around the corner. At this time he also married again.

11.  (I have no idea what you mean so I will say what I find unusual about this)
Holmes first (in chronological sequence) describes Moriarty to Watson during the start of the Valley of Fear. This story was written after we read about Moriarty's death in The Final Problem, however it was retelling an old story. He described him very well, which was odd as at that time Holmes had never met Moriarty but knew all about him. He also stated that he had spoken of Moriarty to Watson before this but ther eis no record of that in the canon.
Furthermore, it was 'odd' that in The Final Problem Watson had never heard of Moriarty. So some major 'continuity errors' were made by ACD. Lucky you lot weren't around then!

Spoiler time with bonus question .......

Bonus question - The first 10 questions hide the word ELEMENTARY in their first words. However the 11th has M.
I'll go out on a limb here, the first 3 words of #11 are Moriaty Arch Nemesis ... m a n?
I'll say 'Elementary Man'.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 1:18 pm  #31

Ooh, some good research (or, I suspect, just plain, good ol' knowledge) going on here. Look for the results in around 12 hours or so...

June 15, 2012 4:39 pm  #32

Great answers!!!   Oh  darn it,  I may  have missed the first one.   Plus the bonus question. I'm glad tho to have competition.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 15, 2012 5:26 pm  #33

Right...here's my contribution:

1. "I've found it, I've found it" was what Watson first heard Holmes saying

2. Sherlock's eyes are grey, but I don't know what story it's from

3. The first deduction would probably be "You have been in Afghanistan I percieve" from A Study In Scarlet

4. The 4 stories that don't have JW as narrator are The Blanched Soldier, The Lion's Mane (both narrated by SH), the Mazarin Stone and His Last Bow (both in the 3rd person)

5. Silver Blaze features the deerstalker and cape as traditionally the deerstalker was a hat worn in the country. I'm pretty sure it's the ONLY Canon story that features it, the cape, deerstalker and pipe image was basically invented by William Gillette.

6. Watson enjoys playing billiards, investing in stocks and shares, and gambling on horse and dog racing

7. Sidney Paget is the illustrator of all those amazing drawings

8. When you said chronologically I was a little confused as to whether you meant, the last story in the canon, or the last case in the SH world...So the last story in the canon is Shoscombe Old Place but the last case would be His Last Bow. (I think... )

9. According to The Last Bow, Sherlock's retirement hobbies are "bees and books"

10. Watson leaves Baker Street when he gets married, and returns after his wife dies.

11. I don't know if this would be classed as particularly unusual or not...But Holmes arrives at Watson's practice, proceeds to close all the blinds because of snipers and then asks "You have probably never heard of Professor Moriarty?"

I know the secret code thingy as well...Is everyone else posting it or are we sending it through PMs?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 15, 2012 5:32 pm  #34

You can go ahead and post it here, or PM, whichever shade of pink you prefer...

June 15, 2012 10:41 pm  #35

OK then....

ELEMENTARY

June 15, 2012 10:47 pm  #36

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

OK then....

ELEMENTARY

Ah yes, but there is a question # 11 remember.
That makes it tricky.
(Oh. I also know that because I messages Tanty about that one, lol) There's definitely more to it.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 11:02 pm  #37

Oh. Ohhh. *sudden SH realisation moment* That's clever. Is it clever? Why is it clever?

June 15, 2012 11:17 pm  #38

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Oh. Ohhh. *sudden SH realisation moment* That's clever. Is it clever? Why is it clever?

Well according to the source it's actually "cheesy" So now we have that clue, what can we deduce before he gets back with the answers???

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 15, 2012 11:28 pm  #39

I know what it is. 

And yes, it's cheesy....

....and not canon.

June 16, 2012 3:00 am  #40

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I know what it is. 

And yes, it's cheesy....

....and not canon.

Very good, boss. Your powers of observation are quite keen. Or you're a good bluffer...

Board footera