BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 8:57 pm  #41

Re: Why all the fuss about the cliffhanger?

Series two didn't really end with a cliffhanger though...did it. We all knew Sherlock was not dead didn't we? It was more of a teaser ending. How did he survive? Only series one had a cliffhanger ending and this was, in my opinion, not exactly brilliantly resolved. Likewise I do feel that the solution to how Sherlock survived was just completely evaded by the script writers this time around. I know they went through some of the  theories but really.....!? They need to be careful of their audience/fan base. You can do this to them once but you shouldn't be making a habit of it or you will alienate folk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 13, 2014 9:07 pm  #42

Ozma wrote:

I am sorry for lying about Moriarty not being (somehow) back.

We had been told to.

So Andrew was at the Q&A?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 13, 2014 9:11 pm  #43

he wasn't at the Q&A, he was just at the screening - at the back with the other actors.

January 13, 2014 9:27 pm  #44

Ah, okay. But somehow I knew Moriarty would turn up, even when you said sort of no...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 14, 2014 6:51 am  #45

I have nothing to be ashamed of and before anybody else points it out to me, I shall 'fess up!
I've never expected to se Moriarty in anything but flashback(or I suppose Mind Palace!) scenarios.
So I was totally taken aback(but delighted) at the end.
We'll see what happens...

Last edited by besleybean (January 14, 2014 6:52 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 10:36 am  #46

The more I think about the ending, the less I like it. It feels more and more... construed to me. As if they thought 'well, we gotta end this with a real Bang, so let's think of something probably nobody saw coming'. (I didn't see it coming, did anybody...?)
Can I just say: in my opinion they had the perfect ending right there. Sherlock being on the plane, the plane is in the air, Sherlock looking out of the window - that's it. We would have been left with a sad feeling, asking ourselves how and when he will make it back. This might not have been as 'thrilling' as (sort of) bringing Moriarty back (which to me isn't all that thrilling, btw). And it also might have been a bit similar to the cliffhanger in TRF, but not quite.
Yes, there would have been another reunion at the beginning of series 4, but it would have been different. Or am I on the wrong track here?

January 14, 2014 10:50 am  #47

I am actually happy that it didn't end with Sherlock heading away in the plane, because that would be the exact same ending as last time: Sherlock practically dead, and everyone wondering how he might come back (as it would be necessary for the series to continue).

The Game is On!

January 14, 2014 10:55 am  #48

Well, last time we knew for sure that he wasn't dead.
But I know, there are similarities. I just... no, this Moriarty thing just isn't my cup of tea, although I'm pretty sure it doesn't really have anything to do with Moriarty anyway. So now we wonder: who is behind this? Which is kind of... not getting us anywhere, because it's either Mycroft or someone we don't even know yet.

January 14, 2014 11:07 am  #49

SolarSystem wrote:

Can I just say: in my opinion they had the perfect ending right there. Sherlock being on the plane, the plane is in the air, Sherlock looking out of the window - that's it. We would have been left with a sad feeling, asking ourselves how and when he will make it back. This might not have been as 'thrilling' as (sort of) bringing Moriarty back (which to me isn't all that thrilling, btw). And it also might have been a bit similar to the cliffhanger in TRF, but not quite.

I totally agree. Sherlock had to be sentenced to something... even if it "is Sherlock Holmes" and his brother "is" the British goverment.
And... do I really need Moriarty back again? Hmm... not sure about that...
I missed some more emotions from John's side at the goodbye. I didn't expect this from Sherlock, but John...

Last edited by gently69 (January 14, 2014 11:12 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 14, 2014 11:12 am  #50

gently69 wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

I totally agree. Sherlock had to be sentenced to something... even if it "is Sherlock Holmes" and his brother "is" the British goverment.
And... do I really need Moriarty back again? Hmm... not sure about that...

Well, I don't really think we will get Moriarty back, it will be someone else... or maybe it really was staged by Mycroft. But it's not Moriarty.
As for a more emotional John: there is a thread here somewhere about that, maybe you wanna have a look at the opinions there?

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 14, 2014 11:14 am)

January 14, 2014 11:58 am  #51

I am not really satisfied with the Moriarty ending either. But I do not think that everybody would think of "White Collar" which I have never watched. And I suppose I am not the only one. It just seemed a bit construed. 
On the other hand the ending with the plane flying away for me would have seemed very final. Which I would not have liked either. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2014 1:50 pm  #52

I've never seen "White Collar", either, and I honestly believe that almost every thinkable ending has been done before in some tv show or other.
The ending has to fit the episode, and I just feel that they somewhat inelegantly stuck this ending to the episode.

January 14, 2014 1:56 pm  #53

SolarSystem wrote:

I've never seen "White Collar", either, and I honestly believe that almost every thinkable ending has been done before in some tv show or other.
The ending has to fit the episode, and I just feel that they somewhat inelegantly stuck this ending to the episode.

I don't think it's inelegant....I think it was their way of closing this chapter of Sherlock's story, at least for now, and showing that there will be more adventures which will move on from that. It's a bit like a way of going back to the 'old' Sherlock - although of course he is more experienced now.

It honestly left me feeling excited and helped cheer me up a bit.

January 14, 2014 1:59 pm  #54

I guess it's just a matter of taste then, because I can't help myself, I think it's inelegant. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see what they'll do with it in series 4, but right now... no, I don't really like it and think it's the weakest series ending we've had so far.

January 14, 2014 2:52 pm  #55

SolarSystem wrote:

The more I think about the ending, the less I like it. It feels more and more... construed to me. As if they thought 'well, we gotta end this with a real Bang, so let's think of something probably nobody saw coming'. (I didn't see it coming, did anybody...?)
Yes, there would have been another reunion at the beginning of series 4, but it would have been different. Or am I on the wrong track here?

I agree, Solar. completely!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 14, 2014 4:43 pm  #56

We don't know Moriarty is back!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 5:09 pm  #57

besleybean wrote:

I'm not convinced. 

January 14, 2014 6:07 pm  #58

besleybean wrote:

Just to make it absolutely clear: I didn't say that he's back. I only said that I don't like the ending. In my opinion Moriarty is dead.

January 14, 2014 6:38 pm  #59

SolarSystem wrote:

I totally agree. I really thought it would end there. But I am still glad they made the plane come back. Because the episode was just so full of tension, that at the very end I badly needed something to ground me... and the joke about the 4 minutes did that, I don't know, that was the moment when I started breathing again ;) I was grateful for it. maybe it was part of the reason they did it like this?

I would have liked more time to process Sherlock being a murderer, though. As someone mentioned in another thread, there is no time to process this. If that plane wouldn't have turned, there would be loads of questions how this murder could affect Sherlocks work, what it says about his morals, what makes him do it, etc. Now it feels - at least to me - that there was a very easy quick way out, and no room to think about the impact. With Moriartys appearance, the focus shifted immediatly.

"It is what it is."

January 14, 2014 7:29 pm  #60

I like the ending. I like the fact that they change tack after ending with huge cliffhangers for two series. It's nice to have a happy ending for a change. 

Board footera