BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2014 2:17 am  #41

Re: Pressure Points

The pressure point CAM could be thinking about exploiting is the same thing Kitty the reporter tried to use in TRF. "You and John Watson, just platonic?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 14, 2014 3:26 am  #42

Ozma wrote:

I think we had our logical explanation...

Pressure points are those things that elicit reactions in people, right?

Well.. Sherlock is leaving on a suicide mission, John won't see him for 6 months, but possibly ever again.
What's John's reaction? NOT.EVEN.ONE.LITTLE.TEAR.

Here you go. No pressure point for Sherlock there.

I agree. I got the feeling that Sherlock cares a lot more for John, than John cares for Sherlock. I mean, he didn't see him for a month, didn't ask about what happened during the hiatus, he certainly wasn't at Sherlock's side in the hospital....they've become distant. At least, for John. 

January 14, 2014 4:34 am  #43

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Ozma wrote:

Well.. Sherlock is leaving on a suicide mission, John won't see him for 6 months, but possibly ever again.

I agree. I got the feeling that Sherlock cares a lot more for John, than John cares for Sherlock. I mean, he didn't see him for a month, didn't ask about what happened during the hiatus, he certainly wasn't at Sherlock's side in the hospital....they've become distant. At least, for John. 

Er...he most definitely WAS at Sherlock's side in the hospital. We see that several times. He's there when Mary arrives and tells her Sherlock's first word was 'Mary'. He's there when Lestrade arrives and tells him that's Sherlock's on morphine and babbling. He never seems to leave the hospital.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 14, 2014 4:36 am  #44

Wholocked wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Ozma wrote:

Er...he most definitely WAS at Sherlock's side in the hospital. We see that several times. He's there when Mary arrives and tells her Sherlock's first word was 'Mary'. He's there when Lestrade arrives and tells him that's Sherlock's on morphine and babbling. He never seems to leave the hospital.

Cool then. I'm getting my second watching in, tonight--  that makes me feel better.... :-(

January 14, 2014 9:41 am  #45

I think, it's crucial to understand what pressure point really means. (Which I don't entirely, but I'm trying.)

The thing is, it's not about caring. It's not about who you love the most, because it's not about life-saving. (The bonfire scene being an exception, an experiment.) CAM is not a murderer. If he was, Sherlock would be John's pressure point, too, i'm sure.  

Pressure points are about black-mailing people.

Can you imagine John paying money or deviating from his moral compass so a secret of Sherlock's can stay in the dark, no matter how much he cares about him? Because I can't. He would simply tell Sherlock about the black-mailing and they would try and stop it together. John believes Sherlock to be almost invincible and if he ever makes a mistake there's Mycroft to sort it out. That's what John  basically thinks - and what's also basically true.

Furthermore, John isn't really aware of the fact that Sherlock has his secrets. Remember when he didn't believe Sherlock to be taking drugs? Even if, John thinks that Sherlock doesn't care, whether his secrets get out in the open. John might care, but since TRF John knows that Sherlock doesn't.  Additionally, Sherlock doesn't have many people that are important to him... or so John thinks. So,  there just isn't  a whole lot potential for black-mailing John with Sherlock, which means there is no real pressure point.

I guess, CAM stores only the "best" pressure points, not in a "who do you love the most?"-sense, but in a practical sense. You can surely black-mail John much easier with information about Mary und Harry than with information about Sherlock. (See above.) 

Sherlock on the other hand seems to have several equally good pressure points. Sherlock would do almost anything to stop Moriarty and see what he's done for Irene Adler. He clearly has an addiction to drugs, which he can only control by playing detective.  I'm not sure about Redbeard and the hounds.

January 14, 2014 11:22 am  #46

Everyone assumes Sherlock shoots CAM 'just' to protect John and 'Mary'. Has anyone else considered that he may have killed him to protect all those others people but also HIMSELF?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 14, 2014 11:29 am  #47

Davina wrote:

Everyone assumes Sherlock shoots CAM 'just' to protect John and 'Mary'. Has anyone else considered that he may have killed him to protect all those others people but also HIMSELF?

Definitely! He even said something like "people who are different." I don't remember the exact words, I guess I have to watch it again.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 14, 2014 12:18 pm  #48

omegasazalfa wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

beekeeper wrote:

I don't think Moftiss will have made a mistake regarding Sherlock not being John's. I think that is a huge deal. I think it shows how much things have moved on for John. And that bit at the end where he goes off...getting married and having a baby changes you. There is no way on this earth that any half decent father or mother would put their relationship with Sherlock above their kid. One thing I think Mofatt stands out for writing realistically and well is parental emotions.

She's only pregnant at this stage, do you really think there will be a baby?

I agree, Sherlock's not a pressure point for John, at least not any longer, and he can never have priority as opposed to the mother of John's child. That's why their good bye scene was so sad for me. It becomes plain as day in this episode that Sherlock is actually in love (though, the hints were there in the last episodes). But when faced with it, John can't return it, at least not with a pregnant wife on his side.
That's why John is so distant, sighs when having to remain in private with him at the extremely embarrassing good bye scene, can hardly look Sherlock in the eye. He is visibly relieved when instead of Sherlock's apparent love confession he hears only a joke with baby names. Because what could he say to that? I agree he's not good at expressing tender emotions but I've felt more an embarrassement of maybe guilt and inertia in this case. And Sherlock understands it, doesn't press it, just steps aside to let the "happy family live", even if heart-broken.

During the 2. season John seemed more obsessed with Sherlock than the other way round, but maybe he "greived out his feelings" for 2 years and went on. He's had several opportunities (and now also reasons) to dismiss Mary since Sherlock's return but he's never opted to, not even to postpone the wedding, made Mary pregnant instead. Though he still cares and misses Sherlock as a very special companion of his, he never wanted to sacrifice his future new life with Mary. And now with a baby on the way, he would never make a sacrifice for him on account of losing his family.
I might be wrong but that's what I thought about pressure points...

I agree with every word.
Sherlock seems to be in love with John - and in the 3 season he understands this fact. No matter, what kind of love. Thoughts about John force him to life - and that is enough. Mycroft asked him "not to be involved", because it will bring pain, to try to be alone again. But it's too late.
John needs Sherlock, but he is not his pressure point - no more. Sherlock's death was too much for him, it was more, than Sherlock could imagine. He didn't forgive Sherlock yet! He is trying to protect himself and his life from the pain. He even did't call Sherlock for a month after the wedding! He is trying to build a "normal life". That is why Mary's past is a shock for him: she is also "not normal", that's the thing he doesn't want to accept! He is upset that both of his friends are sociopathes. He also tries to move away from the close relationship, doesn't want to face it. When Magnussen tells that John is Sherlock's "princess" and pressure point - he doesn't show any reaction, doesn't look at Sherlock, instead of it, he is angry, that Magnussen put him in fire! He thinks, he has done his choose. He chose Mary, his child and "normal life". He doesn't want to return the feelings to Sherlock, because he is afraid of the pain, cannot sacrifice for him (oh yes, he can - but doesn't want now!). He understands it, feels guilty, that is why he doesn't look in Sherlock's eyes and looks relaxed only after the joke about the name for the child. 

Though, I don't think it's a fatal choice. It's just a crisis. He needs Sherlock more than he thinks. He must understand and accept himself - and then something can change. I think, Sherlock understands it. So does Mary.

Last edited by atlantiana (January 14, 2014 12:20 pm)

January 14, 2014 2:14 pm  #49

Criosdan wrote:

Davina wrote:

Definitely! He even said something like "people who are different." I don't remember the exact words, I guess I have to watch it again.

He shot CAM to protect/avenge anyone CAM had every threatened.  Remember how much Sherlock hated CAM.  I mean HATED.  CAM's particular brand of evil "turned his stomech."

Last edited by tonnaree (January 14, 2014 2:16 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 14, 2014 4:41 pm  #50

But I still feel this was for John and Mary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 5:07 pm  #51

tonnaree wrote:

Criosdan wrote:

Davina wrote:

He shot CAM to protect/avenge anyone CAM had every threatened.  Remember how much Sherlock hated CAM.  I mean HATED.  CAM's particular brand of evil "turned his stomech."

And don't forget Mycroft. CAM was trying to get to him through Sherlock and he would have succeeded. With Mycroft in his power, CAM would have control of the whole nation. Sherlock was saving the country. 

January 14, 2014 7:27 pm  #52

besleybean wrote:

But I still feel this was for John and Mary.

Oh yes.  I say he did it for all the victims, but for John and Mary most of all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 15, 2014 12:09 am  #53

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I got the feeling that Sherlock cares a lot more for John, than John cares for Sherlock. I mean, he didn't see him for a month, didn't ask about what happened during the hiatus, he certainly wasn't at Sherlock's side in the hospital....they've become distant. At least, for John. 

Well, yeah!    John has lots of friends--well, people he knows and can hang out with...he's "normal," to all outward appearances, anyway.  But Sherlock only has one friend: John.  So the gap in his life caused by Sherlock's absence, while devastating at first, eventually dulled and can be filled in a way by being around other people he gets along with.  But Sherlock doesn't have other people he can hang out with, so he feels the absence of John more deeply.  That's why Sherlock shows emotion in the farewell scene but John doesn't.  Sherlock needs John but John doesn't need Sherlock to be happy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 15, 2014 12:14 am  #54

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I got the feeling that Sherlock cares a lot more for John, than John cares for Sherlock. I mean, he didn't see him for a month, didn't ask about what happened during the hiatus, he certainly wasn't at Sherlock's side in the hospital....they've become distant. At least, for John. 

Well, yeah!    John has lots of friends--well, people he knows and can hang out with...he's "normal," to all outward appearances, anyway.  But Sherlock only has one friend: John.  So the gap in his life caused by Sherlock's absence, while devastating at first, eventually dulled and can be filled in a way by being around other people he gets along with.  But Sherlock doesn't have other people he can hang out with, so he feels the absence of John more deeply.  That's why Sherlock shows emotion in the farewell scene but John doesn't.  Sherlock needs John but John doesn't need Sherlock to be happy.

Reading this legitimately made me feel really, really sad. I'm big on the bromance between the two, but I understand after what Sherlock did to John, John would feel more distance from him.

January 15, 2014 12:20 am  #55

Tetrisash wrote:

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Reading this legitimately made me feel really, really sad. I'm big on the bromance between the two, but I understand after what Sherlock did to John, John would feel more distance from him.

but this could be temporary, and if you think about it, it is also understandable. I do feel what you feel, and I was too upset by John's behaviour, so I'm not saying it's normal - it's not.
But perhaps it was indeed John trying to protect himself from possibly experiencing heartbreak again because of Sherlock - and remember, Sherlock has just now begun to really work hard to earn John's complete forgiveness and trust back. So maybe once John realises that, things will be better...

January 15, 2014 12:28 am  #56

I think that by HLV John has completely forgiven Sherlock. His composed reaction at the goodbye scene I think is due to three things:

a) he's a married man with a kid on the way. Like y'all are saying, he's moved on. He has other responsabilities now, and he has "a new game" to play (namely fatherhood). It's Sherlock who hasn't moved on (how could he?).

b) He doesn't know Sherlock's in mortal danger. Even if Sherlock outright tells him it's unlikely they'll ever see each other again, that must be small fries in comparison with the grief he felt after he saw his best friend jump to his "death" two years earlier. He's probably thinking that Sherlock will reappear, like he always does.

c) There's his wife and Mycroft looking on.

January 15, 2014 12:33 am  #57

shezza wrote:

I think that by HLV John has completely forgiven Sherlock. His composed reaction at the goodbye scene I think is due to three things:

a) he's a married man with a kid on the way. Like y'all are saying, he's moved on. He has other responsabilities now, and he has "a new game" to play (namely fatherhood). It's Sherlock who hasn't moved on (how could he?).

b) He doesn't know Sherlock's in mortal danger. Even if Sherlock outright tells him it's unlikely they'll ever see each other again, that must be small fries in comparison with the grief he felt after he saw his best friend jump to his "death" two years earlier. He's probably thinking that Sherlock will reappear, like he always does.

c) There's his wife and Mycroft looking on.

I think the fact that Mary, and especially Mycroft are there looking at them is one of the main things for John. As we've seen in TEH, in the underground scene, John found it hard but still forced himself to say the words he wanted to say to Sherlock - because they were alone. So much so that he even made him swear not to tell anyone once he found out they were safe.

At the airport they are not alone, and even though probably Mary and Mycroft are unable to hear them, they can still see them and this is a problem for John.

January 15, 2014 12:42 am  #58

Yes, I mean he couldn't (and wouldn't) start crying there on the spot. Maybe a hug would have been nice, but then again Sherlock himself - who by all counts seemed the most emotional one of the pair (what irony LOL) - only extends a hand. It's the proper, dignified thing to do.

I mean, it's like a scene between two people who've already told each other everything. They are both completely aware by HVL of just how much they care about each other. What can you add to that? Nothing.

January 15, 2014 2:21 am  #59

shezza wrote:

I mean, it's like a scene between two people who've already told each other everything. They are both completely aware by HVL of just how much they care about each other. What can you add to that? Nothing.

Which is why, although at first I wished for a hug, later I felt that they'd already done that and there was no need to do it again.  They'd already said all there was to say.  A handshake is a formal gesture and also kind of just going through the motions (I'm tempted to write [e]motions!).  It can have as much or as little meaning as one wants.  It can also signify an agreement to something, a contract, as in "shake on it."  So maybe the handshake between Sherlock and John had the meaning of they will always be friends, they will never forget, they are bound to each other. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 15, 2014 2:41 am  #60

Actually, when I watched the tarmac scene the first time, I wasn't that affected by it (perhaps because I knew what was coming).  However, on rewatching it, I found myself crying.  The emotion for both men was bubbling right underneath the surface and neither of them wanted to say anything about it because it might just explode they didn't want to break down.  That's how it felt to me.

Last edited by sj4iy (January 15, 2014 2:42 am)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

Board footera