BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 7:29 pm  #1

Sherlock's second brother.

Mycroft was conversing with an MI6 agent and it went like this 

MI6 person: "If this is some expression of familial sentiment..."

Mycroft: "Don't be absurd. I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion... you know what happened to the other one."

What do you guys think of this?

The universe is rarely so lazy for coincidences to occur.

January 13, 2014 8:20 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock's second brother.

Ok I know I am going to be in a minority here but

Please, please do not let it be moriaty who is the other brother

didn't work on the x files and won't work here. 

It COULD be a general fanfic universe reference because a third Holmes brother does pop up in Doctor Who and other places and he is generally a bit off the wall, iirc. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 13, 2014 8:44 pm  #3

beekeeper wrote:

Ok I know I am going to be in a minority here but

Please, please do not let it be moriaty who is the other brother

didn't work on the x files and won't work here. 

It COULD be a general fanfic universe reference because a third Holmes brother does pop up in Doctor Who and other places and he is generally a bit off the wall, iirc. 

Agree. Chris Carter had to backtrack fast on that one

January 13, 2014 9:07 pm  #4

Hmm could it be Billy?

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 13, 2014 9:09 pm  #5

Sherrinford Holmes...

A nice and subtile nod for the more crazy Holmesians like myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 13, 2014 10:13 pm  #6

zeratul wrote:

Hmm could it be Billy?

Never even thought of that! But keeping in mind his skills and where Sherlock found him ("you know what happened to the other one") and that he has no purpose at all (or shall we say not yet has a purpose).... This sounds kind of convincing!
Maybe Sherlock and Brother3 were both drug addicts and, to save his fave brother, Mycroft told Sherlock that Brother3 had died and then did everything he could to get Sherlock out of the gutter (successfully). Though, there is a problem: Wouldn't Sherlock recognize his own brother? Maybe he did disappear a bit earlier

January 13, 2014 10:19 pm  #7

Hanka wrote:

zeratul wrote:

Hmm could it be Billy?

Never even thought of that! But keeping in mind his skills and where Sherlock found him ("you know what happened to the other one") and that he has no purpose at all (or shall we say not yet has a purpose).... This sounds kind of convincing!
Maybe Sherlock and Brother3 were both drug addicts and, to save his fave brother, Mycroft told Sherlock that Brother3 had died and then did everything he could to get Sherlock out of the gutter (successfully). Though, there is a problem: Wouldn't Sherlock recognize his own brother? Maybe he did disappear a bit earlier

Ahem... And they are both called William?
Because Sherlock's 1st name is William too. I know ACD called both brothers James Moriarty, but I think Mofftiss is trying to make a better work than him (whose continuity can only be compared with Glee's)

January 13, 2014 10:23 pm  #8

I had the same thought due to Billy's deductive skills. But he was at the christmas event with Mycroft and Ma & Pa Holmes. Somebody would have recognize him if he was a the lost son.
But speeking of Billy, I don't know what to think of this guy. He is obviously intelligent and a good observer. I can not really make a sense why Sherlock bought him to his parents. Sherlock is a chemist, he could easily druged the punch himself. Why was Billy there?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 13, 2014 10:24 pm  #9

I think Sherlock feels sorry for him and didn't want him to spend Xmas alone

January 13, 2014 10:48 pm  #10

stoertebeker wrote:

I had the same thought due to Billy's deductive skills. But he was at the christmas event with Mycroft and Ma & Pa Holmes. Somebody would have recognize him if he was a the lost son.
But speeking of Billy, I don't know what to think of this guy. He is obviously intelligent and a good observer. I can not really make a sense why Sherlock bought him to his parents. Sherlock is a chemist, he could easily druged the punch himself. Why was Billy there?

He had to keep an eye of the drugged after Sherlock and John were brought to CAM.

January 14, 2014 3:48 pm  #11

I for once hope the Moftiss will not take lessons from Chris Carter. Good writer but a terrible plotter which eventually destroyed the show. 

Back to the brother thing. In canon, Mycroft is Sherlock's only family he ever speaks about. Doesn't mean there isn't another brother but it's pushing it a bit. Neither Billy nor Wiggings were ever related to Holmes, Wiggings was one of his homeless children, Billy was his assistent in later stories when Watson wasn't there. If the Moftiss create a new brother it's probably gonna be someone else, maybe Sherrinford. 

January 14, 2014 4:27 pm  #12

Mrs. Watson wrote:

Hanka wrote:

zeratul wrote:

Hmm could it be Billy?

Ahem... And they are both called William?
Because Sherlock's 1st name is William too. I know ACD called both brothers James Moriarty, but I think Mofftiss is trying to make a better work than him (whose continuity can only be compared with Glee's)

Why both? It's William Sherlock Scott Holmes and Bill Wiggins, if I remember correctly.

I think silverblaze's reference to the canon is quite helpful. 'Billy' will probably be a mix of both - a homeless guy who later becomes Sherlock's assistant when John's busy parenting. Maybe John will get jealous, who knows?

January 14, 2014 4:47 pm  #13

Hanka wrote:

Billy' will probably be a mix of both - a homeless guy who later becomes Sherlock's assistant when John's busy parenting. Maybe John will get jealous, who knows?

I quite like that idea. Billy will move in with Sherlock, get off the drugs and become his assistant. 

I like that idea the most because I know it will annoy the johnlockers. 

January 14, 2014 4:52 pm  #14

zeratul wrote:

Hmm could it be Billy?

I dont think so, but your comment somehow started me to think about Molly's new boyfriend. Wow.

January 14, 2014 4:55 pm  #15

Hanka wrote:

zeratul wrote:

Hmm could it be Billy?

Yeah. Billy also says that he would inherit Sherlock's property after he dies. it was to be funny, but no one can take chances of categorizing some dialogue as funny and not important in this detailed tv show.

January 14, 2014 4:58 pm  #16

Wiggins is the smartest boy of the Baker Street irregulars, he is sort of the official spokesperson for the group of children. He is portrayed as someone on who Holmes relies and who he uses for 'legwork' as Mycroft would say it.

I think this Wiggins has the same role. Probably they merged the role of Wiggins with Billy indeed because in this day and age, there aren't too many bell boys anymore.(which Billy is, more than Holmes' assistent, he is described as a very young lad)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 14, 2014 7:00 pm  #17

Jacco111 wrote:

Wiggins is the smartest boy of the Baker Street irregulars, he is sort of the official spokesperson for the group of children. He is portrayed as someone on who Holmes relies and who he uses for 'legwork' as Mycroft would say it.

I think this Wiggins has the same role. Probably they merged the role of Wiggins with Billy indeed because in this day and age, there aren't too many bell boys anymore.(which Billy is, more than Holmes' assistent, he is described as a very young lad)

agreed

January 14, 2014 11:26 pm  #18

Well, they wouldn't write in a bell boy, would they? He'd have to have something else to do. 

January 16, 2014 9:27 pm  #19

I said (I think) way back when TRF first came out, that there was something of recognition between Sherlock and Moriarty when on the rooftop, and that possibly it was a familial connection. I never was convinced it was an unknown brother, but now, who knows?

I personally don't think we'll see Billy again. Of course, I know just as much as the rest of you about it, but it's fun to offer conjecture.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

Board footera