BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 9:14 pm  #1

The Empty House

So did anyone else get the references to The Empty House in this episode?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 13, 2014 9:27 pm  #2

Re: The Empty House

A literal empty house and John used instead of the wax mannequin. Neat 

My personal preferential penchant was the A.G.R.A reference regarding Mary's past, more The Sign of four than The Empty House.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

January 13, 2014 10:10 pm  #3

I really do need to read the original canon.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 14, 2014 11:50 am  #4

And an assassin with a gun.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 14, 2014 10:21 pm  #5

Yes I've been wondering if/when Adair is going to show up. There were so many canon nods both overt and subtle. They're amazing in how they can do that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 14, 2014 10:32 pm  #6

Oh, are we doing canon references here? 

What about... the entire Milverton plot. 

-runs away-

January 16, 2014 9:20 pm  #7

John in place of the was dummy was glorious.

It does get a bit confusing, as the references for "The Empty House" appear in this episode as well as "The Empty Hearse" (my absolute favorite there was the old man in John's office with the Tree Worship book).

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

January 16, 2014 9:31 pm  #8

Tantalus wrote:

John in place of the was dummy was glorious.

It does get a bit confusing, as the references for "The Empty House" appear in this episode as well as "The Empty Hearse" (my absolute favorite there was the old man in John's office with the Tree Worship book).

Yes; that one was very much for people who know and love the original stories. It's a brilliant moment to treasure...

January 16, 2014 10:04 pm  #9

Well, technically, yes, but true canon diehards disregard Mazarin Stone--it's just too pathetic.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

January 17, 2014 12:24 am  #10

Have you noticed that in the original story ACD actually compared Milverton's safe with a dragon?

"I knew that the opening of safes was a particular hobby with him, and I understood the joy which it gave him to be confronted with this green and gold monster, the dragon which held in its maw the reputations of many fair ladies. "

So in HLV the safe is Magnussen's Mind Palace, which is blown away by Sherlock, a proper dragon slayer! XD

January 17, 2014 2:31 am  #11

silverblaze wrote:

Oh, are we doing canon references here? 

What about... the entire Milverton plot. 

-runs away-

HeH

In the canon doesn't it start something like ...relate to you this adventure....blah..but holding some things back and protecting...

Anyway..maybe in canon.,, Sherlock did shoot CAM....because why what a coincidence? That in the middle of the night just after SH/JW break in ...A mystery lady arrives...and coincidentally they just have time to burn out the dragon/safe...
Hehe Watson telling fibs..to protect themselves?

Board footera