BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2012 8:50 pm  #1

Hardware: Answering the call for a new topic?

If there was something already posted about this, I didn't see it. Sorry.

Martin was his usually charming self in this Britcom (everyone knows that term, right?). I don't think it was on for very long. I saw a few episodes here in the states. Maybe someone else can add more?

Is a hardware store called an ironmonger's or something like that in England?

I know I've said this somewhere else, but I'd only ever seen MF do comedy before Sherlock. Of course, Sherlock has plenty of that, but Martin just kills me in his grief scenes in the last episode of Sherlock -- just the right combination of emotion and military bearing.

July 24, 2012 9:48 pm  #2

Re: Hardware: Answering the call for a new topic?

I don't believe I'd ever even heard of Martin Freeman before we (very accidentally) saw "A Study in Pink," but I am now attempting to make up for lost time with DVDs.  Hardware is apparently available only as a Region 2 DVD -- but region-free players are available, including a lot of the DVD players on laptop computers.  Amazon.com has the DVD, but it may be cheaper (even counting shipping to the US) from Amazon.co.uk.

There are twelve half-hour (minus commercials) episodes.

July 24, 2012 10:22 pm  #3

Yes we do call a hardware store an ironmonger's here the UK although I will sale that ironmoger's are increasingly rare nowadays as they cannot compete with the big chains of DIY stores. Basically an ironmonger's will sell things like hammers, nails, buckets, spades, paint, brushes, etc.

The other thing I will mention is that 'store' is not used that often in the UK. We tend to use the word 'shop' instead. We sometimes have 'department stores' which are never called shops but as I said usually 'store' is not used. You might hear the word 'store'  with animal feed places but not general shops. We don't have liquor stores either. We used to have 'off-licences' where people could buy alcohol (we don't use the word liquor really except people might say 'hard liquor'). But since the licensing laws were relaxed most people buy alcohol in supermarkets or in pubs or clubs and a lot of off-licenses, which are just like North American liquor stores, have bitten the dust.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2012 11:09 pm  #4

Davina wrote:

Yes we do call a hardware store an ironmonger's here the UK although I will sale that ironmoger's are increasingly rare nowadays as they cannot compete with the big chains of DIY stores. Basically an ironmonger's will sell things like hammers, nails, buckets, spades, paint, brushes, etc.

The other thing I will mention is that 'store' is not used that often in the UK. We tend to use the word 'shop' instead. We sometimes have 'department stores' which are never called shops but as I said usually 'store' is not used. You might hear the word 'store'  with animal feed places but not general shops. We don't have liquor stores either. We used to have 'off-licences' where people could buy alcohol (we don't use the word liquor really except people might say 'hard liquor'). But since the licensing laws were relaxed most people buy alcohol in supermarkets or in pubs or clubs and a lot of off-licenses, which are just like North American liquor stores, have bitten the dust.

Thanks. I will keep this in mind next trip.

We do use "shop," but not as often as store.  It's more for boutiques and other smaller establishments, as in "She opened a little dress shop."  Or when someone is trying to be quaint. In fact, it is a kind of a joke here to call something an "olde shoppe," or "ye olde shoppe."

Board footera