BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 12:38 am  #1

Redbeard

After much debating on the forum over the past week, we finally got to find out who Redbeard was/is...it's Sherlock's childhood dog!

I was really really happy with that actually, but I was wondering...what do you guys think happened to Redbeard? Obviously something bad that Sherlock was upset over, which is why Mycroft uses it as a sort of reminder for him not to get too attached or emotionally involved with anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 13, 2014 12:41 am  #2

Re: Redbeard

Redbeard got put down.

So heartbreaking, I just can't....

January 13, 2014 1:01 am  #3

I like that the Redbeard explanation was something simple and human.  Sherlock wasn't always as shut down as he has been as an adult.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 13, 2014 1:03 am  #4

Yeah, Sherlock says "They're putting me down, too, boy".

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 13, 2014 1:17 am  #5

Christ Moffat, after everything else, now the doggy that has been put down.

Why are you so cruel.

January 13, 2014 1:20 am  #6

Sorry, but "put down", does that mean you take the dog to the vet because he is ill or wounded, so that the vet euthanize it?

Just like old times...

January 13, 2014 1:21 am  #7

It means to be put to sleep...

January 13, 2014 2:40 am  #8

Yep. So, based on the previous conversation, Sherlock got "too involved" with Redbeard and became distressed when he lost him as a child, presumable.

Awww poor Sherlock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 13, 2014 2:42 am  #9

Wait--Redbeard was a dog?!?  I totally missed that.  Yet another reason to watch HLV again, this time with subtitles.  I feel like I missed a lot of the dialog in this episode, and I'm a native English speaker. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 13, 2014 8:42 am  #10

Lol, what? But....he called him as the dog was running towards him?

January 13, 2014 11:08 am  #11

I liked the idea of Redbeard, the dog of Sherlock

♥ I AM SHERLOCKED ♥
                                                              and I ship Johnlock harder than Mrs. Hudson ;-)

January 13, 2014 12:21 pm  #12

I thought Redbeard was a teddybear with a pirate patch so got that wrong!  LOL.

However, it was from childhood and taken away and Sherlock cared too much, but then again how many of us DIDNT guess that!  LOL.

When he reverted to the little boy ruffling Redbeards fur, I thought the dog was going to get ripped away from him, maybe like it had when he was little and that nearly brought a tear to my eye.  The thought of that little boy, so happy and engrossed in his dog, suddenly being bereft.

Mxx

January 13, 2014 12:58 pm  #13

I also had to watch it twice until I got it. Have no idea why I missed it, I guess it just was all too much when I watched it at first. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 13, 2014 1:37 pm  #14

sj4iy wrote:

Yeah, Sherlock says "They're putting me down, too, boy".

This is when I got really emotional for a moment, hearing him say that!

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

January 13, 2014 1:40 pm  #15

Oh, I certainly cried.

January 13, 2014 2:18 pm  #16

Mirthxx wrote:

I thought Redbeard was a teddybear with a pirate patch so got that wrong!  LOL.

However, it was from childhood and taken away and Sherlock cared too much, but then again how many of us DIDNT guess that!  LOL.

When he reverted to the little boy ruffling Redbeards fur, I thought the dog was going to get ripped away from him, maybe like it had when he was little and that nearly brought a tear to my eye.  The thought of that little boy, so happy and engrossed in his dog, suddenly being bereft.

Mxx

Fine bit of acting from the young Moffat.

Last edited by dartmoordoggers (January 13, 2014 2:18 pm)

January 13, 2014 2:59 pm  #17

I wonder why CAM explicitly referred to Redbeard. How did he know how important Redbeard was to Sherlock (and still is, actually)? 

January 13, 2014 3:12 pm  #18

I'm a major animal lover, have had both dogs and cat my entire life. Redbeard was just...heartbreaking, poor Sherlock 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 13, 2014 3:18 pm  #19

I just love the fact that that was SM's son. He looks the part and he can act really well, amazing. 

About CAM, well I guess I'd find it rather creepy if a supervillain knew a painful childhood memory of mine. Think that'd rather upset me. 

January 13, 2014 4:48 pm  #20

Yes, but that was Sherlock thinking of it himself, at that particular moment...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera