BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2014 9:56 pm  #1

Canadian Sherlockian Borderline Insanity

I'm not really sure where to start, but I guess at the beginning would be best.

I found Sherlock about two years ago after the Fall, and I ignored it.  Couldn't get into it and at the time I wasn't interested in anything.  Last year around this time, I was suicidal and commited several times into hospital for crisis care.  During the spring I had no friends, no family and I moved to a new town and didn't know anyone.  I decided to watch Sherlock again on netflix and holy shit did my perspective change.  I've always been a Sherlock fan, I've read the books in grade school, Mouse Detective, HOUSE MD, RDJ Sherlock - BBC Sherlock was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Now, I've been very careful how I've tried explaining this because people don't believe me.  Sherlock is such a fantastical character, people often tell me it's impossible to relate to him in any way.  The problem is, I relate to him in a very real way.  People often don't like me because I rub them the wrong way, I don't do it on purpose, I just ... I have very little patience for people who say and do stupid things.  I'm not a genius in ANY sort of way, in fact, I dare call myself a bit slow.  It doesn't stop me from trying to pay attention and try to make sense of things, ask questions, get things wrong - at least I try!  That's what annoys me the most.  Sherlock gives credit for people trying, he appreciate intelligence in others in his own way (asks advice on who considers experts in their genre), but very few people can appreciate him.

I can personally relate to his boredom, always have to have something to do.  I have Borderline Personality Disorder, BiPolar AND I have Aspergers.  Boredom for me is a very serious problem.  I have done a lot of crazy things because I was bored, like learning HTML/CSS when I was 13 (I'm 26 now, and I learned through decoding websites, not tutorials), advanced mathematics and physics, computer programming, and just about anything else I could get my hands on that I thought was interesting.  People often have a hard time talking to me because they can't appreciate how my mind works, and when I tell them what I know, they unknowingly insult it.  They try to act like their clever (I'm not a clever person... just well read), or challenge me at something I have little knowledge about, or tell me to do something useful.  They don't see me for who I am and it goes over everyones head.  It's frusterating and it's lead for people to believe I can be a very cold person.

When I watched the show, I fell in love with it.  It gave my brain something to do, I would pick it apart, try to catch little things to make sense of the ending.  I had a thousand theories (although I never shared them because most have been said), and its just such a fun celebral show.  Of course I also ended up falling in love with Sherlock, as the character not Benedict, himself.  That by the way, is annoying when that happens.  Falling in love with a character is brutal but in your mind and emotion it's real, so I've just sorta accepted it and left it at that.  Season 3 came out (no spoilers) and it happened again, and now I'm back to being ruined for men.  Just as well, the last guy I spoke to was an idiot and my tongue was a bit sharper than I thought. 

Every now and then, I can see Sherlock's perspective on how he views things, just a glimpse of his genius.  It's caused me a couple of migraines when I try to focus on it too much.  Again, no spoilers, the wedding was a big one.

The biggest problem I have is how obessed I am with this show.  It's literally taken over my life.  I can't shut up about it right now, Series 3 has taken over my thought processes.  My music tastes have changed dramatically, so has my wardrobe.  I've taken a liking to wearing scarves - I've even got a beautiful blue casmere and silk one for Christmas.  I warn people not to mention Sherlock if they haven't seen any of the new episodes (if any at all), and if they do watch it - be very careful because I will go on tangants.  My social skills have taken a small nose dive, but luckily for me - my dad was the same way about Star Trek and my younger brother is Ninja Turtles and comic books - so being an obessed nerd runs in the family.  My mom face palms a lot during the holidays when we're together.

Of course, there's good things too.  I've learned the memory technique.  Took me a few months to build, but it's come in handy for a lot of things.  I have so many subjects, it's nice to know that I can recall on them when I need to if I don't have the option of looking them up.  I live in the moment, and for a very long time that was impossible for me.  Sherlock rarely gets anxeity over anything, and it's not just because he 's smart enough to solve any problem that he comes up against.  He lives in the now, prepares for the future, and uses the past.  It helped me over come my anxeity and depression. Helped me discover who I was as a person, and not worry about what people thought about me.  I learned to appreciate what was around me, live in the now, not worry about tomorrow or yesterday.  I started getting out more - volunteering my time at the library and local church (not religious, just needed community).  I learned that just because I was hard to get along with, doesn't mean that people can't love me, and I can't love them. 

I did the opposite of Sherlock and went seeking for community.  I didn't want to be alone.  I knew making friends would be very difficult, but I didn't put my mindset to that.  I started doing things that I loved.  Wondering how I could put my knoweldge into use.  I even found myself a flatmate who, bless his heart, has a lot of patience with me.  He currently went to his girlfriends house for the weekend to AVOID the last episode of season 3.  Avoiding spoilers - but mostly avoiding me because I am going to be an absolute train wreck of emotion and livid deductions and pulling everything apart.  He even went so far as to make sure I remembered to eat while he was gone (put a sticky note on my tea pot that he left me leftovers because he knew I wouldn't remember). He's even learned how to avoid me talking about Sherlock by getting me into a subject we're both good at. He will tease me though, get me on a tangant because it amuses him, but it's not malicious.  

This is what I mean though, by having it take over my life.  Without it though, I wouldn't be here. It gave me something to look forward to.  The huge hiatus made me WANT to keep going.  It gave me a goal!  Knowing about the actors, and who they were and the work they've done - kept me going.  I began to look forward to watching them in other places.  Being IN the fandom, and connecting to hundereds of other fans, and talking to them, has kept me going.  Knowing how Benedict felt when he went from a nobody to a super star in a matter of a year - gave me hope.  It changed who I was so drastically, so immensely, I'll never be the same again.  I no longer fear challenges.  I no longer look at the mirror and despise what I see.

I just wanted to find others who might understand what I'm talking about when I talk about Sherlock.  I'm looking back at this going "what the frick frak" because I don't know how to shut up.  SORRY!

Cheers...
*runs away*

January 11, 2014 10:10 pm  #2

Re: Canadian Sherlockian Borderline Insanity

Wow, what an introduction. It is interesting to see how Sherlock affects so many people's lives for the better. I hope you will have fun around here. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 11, 2014 10:14 pm  #3

Wow - that was quite an introduction!
So happy to read that Sherlock is having such a positive influence on your life.
And yes - you've found the right place. Many of us are feeling like you about Sherlock.
Looking forward to reading more from you.
Welcome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 11, 2014 10:18 pm  #4

I just figured I'd warn people about my insanity with this show.  

I'll also take the above comments as a compliment, I'm very bad for long posts like that.  I'm always worried I'll come off sounding like an arrogant sod, or a complete idiot, or even worse - ordinary.  

January 12, 2014 6:02 am  #5

HI! I think you and I are going to get along splendedly.  I think we have a lot in common.  A bit of your post reminded me of myself.  I have Aspergers as well.  So, cool.  Welcome, and stuff.  

January 12, 2014 8:02 am  #6

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your open introduction! I'm sure you will enjoy your time here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 12, 2014 12:27 pm  #7

Welcome to Sherlockiantodeath. That was some introduction and I hardly know what to say except that I can understand how your brain works only too well, we share both personality traits and some diagnoses.

If you're obsessed with Sherlock you have certainly come to the right place. Though I would say that giving warning about the show's addictive characteristecs to people here is a bit belated, it is faaaar to late for all of us. Not that we care, we love our obsession and Heaven help any who tries to take it away from us .

Once more, welcome to. Have fun

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 12, 2014 7:51 pm  #8

Hi Sherlockian! I'm very happy you joined us. Your introductory story is very compelling.  Thank you for being so open and honest about yourself.  I think you will find many "Sherlocks"  here who will have a lot in common with you intellectually, mentally and emotionally and to whom you can relate.  But you will also find many "Johns" who will be compassionate and welcoming and will accept you for who you are and will support you when you need it.  Welcome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 12, 2014 7:54 pm  #9

Hi, welcome here and enjoy! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 20, 2014 7:41 pm  #10

Hello!  I've been away from the forum for a bit, but catching up and noticed your intro…  Just wanted to chime in my own 'greets' and say wow, that was a great little thing of you to write!  Can certainly appreciate feeling awkwardly 'obsessed' with it.  Glad to see more people having such a connection to it, and look forward to discussion…  see ya!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 21, 2014 4:37 pm  #11

Sherlock influenced and changed my life for the better too and believe me when I say that I can relate to A LOT of what you said in your introduction. This show has helped me in ways I couldn't really hope to put into words so I'll always be greatful for that and yeah...Sherlock is mah homeboy, as they say. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 22, 2014 10:46 pm  #12

How did I manage to miss your introduction? I am (nearly) always fashionably late...well late anyways. Welcome to the forum. Have fun here!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera