BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2014 4:42 pm  #41

Re: Blood???? Sherlock gets his coat back, and turns and says to Mycroft..

My pennyworth. It is clearly 'Blud' to my rather Londonish ear...( is that even a word?) I can hear the difference when he says it. Slang, especially South London originating in the Afro-Caribbean community but now quite widespread. In this context I think Sherlock is using it to slightly rile his brother. Mycroft, being just so particular in his speech would, I think, just hate this word being used. It might also be used by Sherlock for him to suggest how much time he has spent undercover. Finally, it possibly relates to his homeless network who are likely to use street slang (argot).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 10, 2014 7:30 pm  #42

It's not just London street slang, it's more widespread than that. I knew what he meant immediately and I'm from way up north in Manchester (where we also have gangs )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 10, 2014 7:34 pm  #43

And so it's time for me to wheel out my favourite comment again: this forum is an aboslute education!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2014 7:51 pm  #44

anjaH_alias wrote:

Bro, surely. Same number of syllables and also "getto slang" here. Or "dude". Or "Schatz" .

Yeah, "Schatz" would be good. 

But to get a feel for the word; it'd have similar connotations had he said "bro", only this word is more local, am I correct? 

January 10, 2014 10:50 pm  #45

Yep Boss you do have a few up there too don't you (not personally, just geographically).

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 11, 2014 7:09 pm  #46

BTW, poor actor who has to dub Benedict in Sherlock. 

January 12, 2014 4:43 am  #47

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

And what's going to be really interesting--and funny/ironic--is that when PBS shows it in the US, Americans who don't watch it with subtitles on will think the word is "blood" (as I did) and never know that's not actually correct because the meaning is basically the same. . 

Hehe---I'll let you know what my  tv captioning says  when it airs.   Good thing to watch for.   I'm  not British, nor am I german,  but I know a little bit of brit slang,  (thanks to Harry Potter)   and I  have NEVER  heard  or seen the word  BLUD.  what a perfectly nonsense word.    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

January 18, 2014 7:21 am  #48

Is it actually possible that Gatiss put in the "blud" remark without being aware of the secondary meaning, that of an evil fairy in slavic mythology? The fairy, "blud," means "wanderer" - "an injurious fairy causing disorientation" - and leads people aimlessly round and round.

There is so much attention to detail and so many subtle references/double entendres in the Sherlock series, that I can't imagine Gatiss wasn't aware of the double meaning (or Sherlock, for that matter). In my opinion, it was a portmanteau-sort-of compliment-insult by Sherlock, meaning: 

a) English slang "blud" - meaning "bro," or "mate" - which, as someone pointed out, is in keeping with Sherlock's former use of street slang, "laters," which sounds so tongue-in-cheek coming from him.

b) The alternate sense of the slang word, "blood" - like, blood brother. Sherlock and Mycroft are blood. 

c) The evil slavic fairy causing disorientation and leading a person round and round aimlessly. Mycroft had said shortly before the "blud" comment that he had learnt Serbian, and that it has a Slavic root. Can the fact that there is a slavic fairy of the same name (and spelling) be coincidence? If so, it's a very lucky one. Mycroft is the master puppeteer and has a hand in everything. At the end of "A Study in Pink," Sherlock agrees with Watson's idea that Mycroft was a "criminal mastermind." And Sherlock hates being controlled by his brother (in previous episodes, he stubbornly refuses to help Mycroft). Mycroft hates "leg work," so he demands that Sherlock follow up on cases for him. As soon as he gets him shaved and cleaned up, he sends him off to uncover a terrorist network. Like an evil slavic fairy directing the actions of people around him.

In addition, I think it notable that Mycroft referred to Sherlock twice before as "brother" in the scenes leading up to the "blud." Mycroft had also told Sherlock that a "small thank you wouldn't go amiss." Sherlock refused to thank him. But right before Sherlock says "blud," that girl agent whose name I can't remember (Anthea? Not her real name) said, "welcome back, Mr. Holmes." But Sherlock said "thank you -" and turned to his brother to say, "blud." To me, it seems fairly conclusive that Sherlock was simultaneously thanking Anthea for her comment, and Mycroft for rescuing him; but at the same time as he is thanking him and referencing their blood relation, he can't resist inserting a little Slavic dig that only Mycroft would pick up on, IN ADDITION to the street-slang meaning of "bro."

So clever, I almost can't believe it. Even without the Slavic part, it is clever. Gatiss is a genius. I admire the heck out of him. And I absolutely love his posh-Eton-boy smug attitude. 

January 18, 2014 8:45 am  #49

Excuse me?
Do you mean Mycroft?
Mark went to a comprehensive school in Darlington, County Durham.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 9:21 pm  #50

besleybean wrote:

Excuse me?
Do you mean Mycroft?
Mark went to a comprehensive school in Darlington, County Durham.

Yes, Google searches are a wonderful thing. But I was referring to Mycroft's on-screen persona. And as a pre-emptive strike, I'll just add that no, I did not mean Mycroft literally attended Eton. 

January 18, 2014 9:23 pm  #51

Actually I knew anyway, cos he lived in the next town to me!

January 22, 2014 8:48 pm  #52

Oh, and to make things even more confusing, the subtitles on the Blu-ray say "blood" and not "blud". Hmmmmmm......

January 22, 2014 11:25 pm  #53

TeeJay wrote:

Oh, and to make things even more confusing, the subtitles on the Blu-ray say "blood" and not "blud". Hmmmmmm......

Completely whacked that he meant blood, like blood brothers, to me. Also almost as completely whacked that he meant blood, like the red stuff in his veins. ???  But I guess Gatiss said he meant the blood brothers thing?  Either way, in my American opinion, it should be spelled blood. I've never seen it or heard of it as blud-- that doesn't spell anything, except phoenetically. Very very strange, whichever and however.

January 22, 2014 11:29 pm  #54

Chalotte wrote:

...So clever, I almost can't believe it. Even without the Slavic part, it is clever. Gatiss is a genius. I admire the heck out of him. And I absolutely love his posh-Eton-boy smug attitude. 

I don't know. IMO, there comes a point when someone can be too clever for the room. If 75%+ of the viewing audience either doesn't get it or thinks it's nonsense, what pray is the sense of writing it in the first place, having the actors act it, or not leaving it on the editing room floor?

January 23, 2014 6:41 am  #55

Maybe it's covered on a DVD commentary?!

January 23, 2014 12:18 pm  #56

Sadly, there are no DVD commentaries for season 3.

It could very well be that the "blood" in the DVD subtitles is a misspelling. As far as I know, the way this works, is that the DVD publisher hires a company to do subtitles for any given DVD release. They then pick whoever usually does the subtitling in their company to listen to the DVDs and write out the dialogue to the best of their ability. I don't think these subtitles usually get proofed by anyone involved in the writing of the show, so it may very well be that the writers meant to spell it "blud" (which seems to be a typically British term) but that the DVD subtitler figured it would be spelled "blood".

And going back through the answers in this thread, it seems Gatiss confirmed via Twitter that it should be spelled "blud", so I guess there we have our answer. The DVD subtitling people didn't know better, and just spelled it like they thought it would be spelled, namely "blood".

Last edited by TeeJay (January 23, 2014 12:26 pm)

January 23, 2014 12:27 pm  #57

TeeJay wrote:

Sadly, there are no DVD commentaries for season 3.

It could very well be that the "blood" in the DVD subtitles is a misspelling. As far as I know, the way this works, is that the DVD publisher hires a company to do subtitles for any given DVD release. They then pick whoever usually does the subtitling in their company to listen to the DVDs and write out the dialogue to the best of their ability. I don't think these subtitles usually get proofed by anyone involved in the writing of the show, so it may very well be that the writers meant to spell it "blud" (which seems to be a typically British term) but that the DVD subtitler figured it would be spelled "blood".

Obviously, not being a native English speaker, I can't speak to why exactly they would say "blood" rather than "blud", but to me it also made sense to say "blood" in a metaphorical sense, meaning as brothers they're bound by familial blood.

However, weighing all the arguments against each other, my own interpretation is that the writers meant "blud" rather than "blood" because it seems to make more sense in the context of the scene. But unless Mark Gatiss speaks to it specifically, we will probably never know.

Gatiss confirmed it was 'blud' on his twitter account. Its spelt  blud on the BBC site; and most brits would be familiar with the term.

January 23, 2014 12:45 pm  #58

dartmoordoggers wrote:

Gatiss confirmed it was 'blud' on his twitter account. Its spelt  blud on the BBC site; and most brits would be familiar with the term.

Thanks, I actually realized that and have since edited my post you quoted.

Do you happen to have a link to the Gatiss tweet?

January 23, 2014 5:01 pm  #59

Well I don't know what circles Mark mixes in, but it ain't familiar to me!

January 23, 2014 5:10 pm  #60

besleybean wrote:

Well I don't know what circles Mark mixes in, but it ain't familiar to me!

Nor me, and I live in central London. Clearly I have a lot of work to do on updating my street cred...

Board footera