BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2014 7:22 pm  #21

Re: Why did Sherlock leave the wedding early, looking so sad and dejected?

What do you mean: beforehand? It was played on the wedding, short before the baby deduction and "oh what a night". Bruce Cook thought it was not played at all.

January 8, 2014 7:28 pm  #22

Thanks. Super, my comment makes much sense now in the middle of nowhere. People shouldn´t delete when there were already answers

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 8, 2014 7:29 pm)

January 8, 2014 7:31 pm  #23

He was leaving to go "have dinner" with Miss Adler...  And probably even dance after...

I will NEVER fire a gun IN my mouth when I'm planning on Stayin Alive! 

The clue that everyone missed?

January 8, 2014 8:06 pm  #24

My first thought on his leaving was that he remembered he's still Sherlock Holmes and such events like wedding are not for him and never have been.. And, he did what he had to, so as not to make John feel bad and disappointed, but after it's all already done he could leave. He has his own paths ;)

The Road goes ever on and on...

January 8, 2014 8:14 pm  #25

I think, Sherlock looked isolated, maybe a little lonely, in deep thoughts, but not heartbroken or sad. And I didn't get the impression, that, when he said, he liked dancing, that he had disco dancing in mind. Also, the bridesmaid was a pretty lousy dancer IMO. She could've never satisfied him. He's a perfectionist.  So, I wouldn't make too much of the bridesmaid dancing with someone else. especially, since Sherlock had kinda picked the guy for her. He was harmless, grateful and available, according to Sherlock. So, she thanks him, and he thanks her by giving her the flower, for putting up with him and being nice and intelligent company. When he looked at that pavillon full of light out of the darkness, I rather had the impression of an alien watching another species.

January 9, 2014 10:20 am  #26

I think.....
Sherlock beleives that Mary's baby is not John's, or at least she's not sure if it's John's or someone else's.... eitherway Sherlock figured out she's been cheating.
Something in her reaction gave it away I think..... Also why was her ex floating around the wedding? That didn't really add anything to the story other than providing a little comical moment for Sherlock to play the over protective big brother.

Mary's done the dirty. Sherlock figured it out. I *think*.

January 9, 2014 10:24 am  #27

Mrs. Hudson also said about her best friend that she went home alone, now Sherlock, appearently Watson's best friend is also going home alone. Perhaps he really thinks it's the end of an era.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 9, 2014 10:57 am  #28

I don't mind the reaction concerning the baby. Everyone would be at least a bit shocked in such a situation. A baby is a huge change in everyones life especially when it's not planned.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 9, 2014 1:48 pm  #29

hfswgsoh wrote:

I think.....
Sherlock beleives that Mary's baby is not John's, or at least she's not sure if it's John's or someone else's.... eitherway Sherlock figured out she's been cheating.
Something in her reaction gave it away I think..... Also why was her ex floating around the wedding? That didn't really add anything to the story other than providing a little comical moment for Sherlock to play the over protective big brother.

Mary's done the dirty. Sherlock figured it out. I *think*.

I just can't see this.  I think if Sherlock even suspected the baby wasn't John's he'd have rained chaos down on all of them.  No way he'd lie about something like that to John.

Last edited by tonnaree (January 9, 2014 1:48 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 9, 2014 1:54 pm  #30

He does have his own suspicions, though.

Sorry, had to edit so that I wouldn't be misunderstood.

Last edited by Ozma (January 9, 2014 1:55 pm)

January 11, 2014 9:54 am  #31

Wholocked wrote:

As for why he left early I thought that was rather obvious. Having done what was needed he found himself no longer needed by anyone, the woman who knew he loved to dance was dancing with someone else, John & Mary had each other. No-one needed him and he was feeling very lonely. Plus the sudden realisation, I think, of just how much on the 'outside' of John&Mary he really was hit him about then. And that he didn't really 'fit' in with the crowd of people either.

I also think his line "You won't need me around anymore now that you have a real baby on the way" is indicative of his feelings just then. John has just married and has a baby on the way. Where does Sherlock fit into that kind of life?

So he left. 

i second this.. but its just so sad to see sherlock alone n leaving like that

January 11, 2014 11:18 am  #32

Oh I think there may be more to it than that, I think he may know he has a new enemy to deal with...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 11, 2014 12:40 pm  #33

Watched it again last night.   I honestly had to turn away in the last few minutes.  It just hurt too much.

This show has beat my emotions into a pulp and it's going to get worse!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 11, 2014 12:43 pm  #34

Yep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 2:38 pm  #35

it is very weird in a way. The last series when John finds out that Mary is the most dangerous spy and assassin possible even almost killing Sherlock he needs to get explained that this is what you get when you secretly look for it (You always get what you are looking for).
This is where SH as the story becomes revealing and real. It tells the real and true story about human relation ships. Without all the paint and gloss. Without the pomp and circumstances. Completely naked and really painful for their characters. In fact some of the scenes are more like theater screen plays and the actors are characters on stage. Some scenes the time stands still but at a point far from being boring and repetitive instead at the climax with a lot of tension where the outcome is simply unpredictable. (Because SH himself has to figure it out still.)
Back to John W - he refuses to watch the file about Mary to find out the truth instead he passes the ultimate test of trust and most importantly unconditional love (ok, apart from the demands on the naming of the child...etc).
And SH witnessing this begins to understand what life with true love can be about. Before he was convinced people fall in love simply because they are not bright enough to see the real person behind a masquerade. Now that John got to know the real uncovered Mary in a very evil and cold blooded way, he still does not give up on his love.
And this wins SH over. SH goes by logic at all times, even in case of love. And in a strange way he is right - as always.
By executing the bad guy in front of the police he picks the only ending which will allow John and Mary to get on with their lives. Even at the costs of his own. Very consequent. SH reflects a character with no fears. But throughout the series we find out that is only because most of those fears people are haunted by are not worth a thought. Most of what these people are afraid to lose can be easily replaced. Until he is threatened to lose John, his own life or John himself is threatened to lose Mary herself.
I would go as far as saying SH is a bit like a modern version of Shakespeare. What both have in common is the deep message and a fundamental statement in the end.
This is thanks to great performances of the actors as well as great direction and script writing.
I can' t wait to re-watch the last episode on I-player again. Because it will allow me to pay attention to some details I have missed out inevitably.
Another thing SH and Shakespeare have in common is the attention to detail. These days there are far too many sloppy productions.

After all it is just movie theater!

January 13, 2014 7:02 pm  #36

Yes well, I don't think John would have been as keen on forgiving Mary, if Sherlock hadn't initiated the whole process and basically told him to give her another chance.

Sherlock played a HUGE part here because John was going to react impulsively.

I think, if we are talking about witnessing unconditional love, it's the other way around - Sherlock showed John what unconditional love is.

January 14, 2014 4:05 pm  #37

I didn't think he looked sad or dejected, I thought he looked thoughful.
And he had that fantastic 'swinging his coat' on moment that I had on a 7sec replay loop ...

His work at the wedding was done. He had other things to think about, most likely the telegram that he'd read out to Mary, her reaction to that must have been one for him to store away until he had to consider it ...

"To Mary, lots of love poppet, oodles of love and heaps of good wishes, from Cam. Wish your family could have seen this..."

January 19, 2014 3:19 pm  #38

lindyhopper883 wrote:

I think he was also dissapointed that after making everyone else happy, he was alone. He helped the bridesmaid (who was actually quite nice to him!) and put a lot of energy into making it a special day for John/Mary, and was even polite to Tom. But really, his entire role at the wedding was to be "useful".  

I think you are right here. What could he possibly do? What could the writers make him do after the case was solved and John and Mary were dancing? He acted his role out and possibly felt out of place afterwards. So he left.

January 27, 2014 5:05 am  #39

Swanpride wrote:

But this were not the flowers of the bride...well...perhaps it was, in a way.

Seriously this whole thing looks like a threesome wedding, and not just because John and Sherlock turned up in partnerlook. First Mary, John and Sherlock are greeting the guests, with the bridesmaids behind them, then Sherlock and John tell each other how much they are in love, then Sherlock makes a lifetime vow and then he throws "his" boquet.

Oh, brilliant. And by the way, there is some fanfic (generally based in canon, at least, what I've read is) where Mary is...shall we say...a very willing accomplice and participant in "Johnlock."  I could totally see this Mary doing that.

But the ending sort of subverted all that, with a suggestion that Sherlock was really pretty heartbroken. (Incidentally, in canon, Watson announces that Mary has accepted his proposal...and Sherlock reaches for his cocaine. Strong suggestion of heartbreak.)

By "partnerlook," I assume you're referring to the scene where they're drunk and sort of on top of each other.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (January 27, 2014 5:08 am)

January 27, 2014 5:40 am  #40

It wasn't exaclty a happy note to end on, espescially since the end of a sherlock episode is always sad cuz u want it to go on forever.

Board footera