BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2014 2:18 pm  #1

Delete my posts and account

~~Please delete all my posts and my account. I won’t change my mind, so please don’t try to persuade me to stay.
In canon Sherlock Holmes knew the danger of a biased judgment. Hence his ambition to keep himself at a distance and tell John that “whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold reason which I place above all things.”
BBC Sherlock plays clearly with fan’s emotional responses. The important clues are either hidden behind emotional moments or hidden in plain sight so obvious that nobody can see them because of their position exactly in front of it.
My problem with this kind of game or experiment is 1. That I can see it clearly 2. That I began to play at first 3. That I am right now in danger to be a part of it and no longer able to distance myself 4. That I don’t know where I am getting myself into with this kind of mind game or experiment.

January 5, 2014 2:41 pm  #2

Re: Delete my posts and account

? Can't follow you...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 5, 2014 3:06 pm  #3

?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2014 7:02 pm  #4

Also? Put in a request to the Boss (Sherlock Holmes) if you wish to delete your account etc. Your view of Sherlock seems more like Derren Brown's productions and I am, therefore, confused. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 5, 2014 7:05 pm  #5

You serious? You are leaving this fandom? Now that the series has just started again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 5, 2014 7:33 pm  #6

Take it easy Be and best of luck out there!

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

January 5, 2014 7:46 pm  #7

We are sad to lose you, Be.  For me, this show is a happy, wonderful, clever entertainment which I enjoy thoroughly. Because of it I have made many wonderful friends; however, I understand if there is something about it that is upsetting to you and/or is pulling you in or down to a place where you don't want to be. If you are having trouble distancing yourself from it then you are doing the right thing for yourself by leaving it (and us) behind.  We will miss your contributions. - Go and be at peace. Best wishes....

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 5, 2014 8:22 pm  #8

Vio con dios.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2014 11:21 pm  #9

Peace! Good luck.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 5, 2014 11:28 pm  #10

I understand what you're trying to say but...

1. This whole thing should be fun and not taken too seriously. It's called "playing the game" for a reason.
2. We are all too close to it, yes, which makes it difficult to step back and judge things at times, but that's also PART of the fun...it's a mental challenge, a game. To try and see the clues and figure things out.

But yeah...if you're not enjoying it anymore then that's your choice.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 6, 2014 12:25 am  #11

Thank you for mentioning and explaining your reasons, Be.
Don't know what else to say. Sad you're leaving, I liked your posts (the few I've had the time reading so far). It's just, what you said, got me thinking, makes sense to me. just wanted to say thank you for sharing your reasons.

"It is what it is."

January 10, 2014 12:13 am  #12

Wow, this is a case of Deja Vu, folks. I had a member on my own sciene fiction message board (All Sci-Fi) who was offended by some things a few members said to him in PMs, and he asked to have his membership deleted.

I posted a couteous reply expressing my sincere regrets for any offense caused by me or the other members, and then I honored his request by removing him from our members list.

I've regretted doing that it ever since.

What I should have done was simply neglect to mention his request to be removed from the members list and left him on the roll. If he was really leaving and not coming back to the board, he'd never know I hadn't deleted his membership! And more importantly, if he ever changed his mind, he could come easily.

I burned his bridges and made it impossible for him to return without rejoining the board as a new member and feeling even more self-conscious about the whole situation than he would have otherwise.

Why am I saying all this?

Because I noticed that the dissatisfied and outspoken Mr. Be is still on the users list.  I urge you to leave him right there, along with all his posts -- which you couldn't possible delete because it would make a mess of all the threads he started or contributed to.  I'm sure he thought of that and knew you couldn't actually grant that request anyway.

So, I think you've done everything possile to encourage Mr. Be to reconsider his displeasure with this fine board and the amazing TV series to which it's devoted.  Frankly I couldn't make heads or tails of his reasons for objecting to the Sherlock series.   It seemed to have something to do with . . . his feeling that . . .

Oh, hell, I give up.

Hopefully this dedicated fan of Sherlock Holmes will reconsider his need to severe ties with the board and come back soon.

As I said in an earlier posts, a good debate is like fencing practice.  You don't have to win to get a good workout.  (Hmmmm.  I think I'll make that my new signature! )

Last edited by Bruce Cook (January 10, 2014 12:14 am)

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 10, 2014 2:24 am  #13

Thanks Bruce for your thoughts on this subject. It's something that the Boss has given some consideration to.

Be, if this is what you want you'll need to PM the Boss. Posting a thread like this seems deliberately attention seeking to me.

Anyway, it's in Be's hands to contact SH and let her know what she wants so I'm going to close the thread now.

Last edited by Wholocked (January 10, 2014 2:24 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 10, 2014 4:03 pm  #14

My final contribution on this is...if someone wants to disengage with the forum then it seems quite simple...they just don't log on and engage with it anymore. It is unlikely that anyone will PM them after. Simples!  I also agree about deletion of their posts ruining whole threads. Once in the public domain, unless offensive, illegal or similar, there they stay.

Board footera