BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2014 5:25 pm  #41

Re: German air date

Clueing_for _looks wrote:

It's quite funny to see a bunch of Germans discussing in English about German TV 

Right. And honestly I'm awaiting the day of a German board meet up where everyone continues talking English.
Didn't happen so far though...

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 9, 2014 5:31 pm  #42

Mattlocked wrote:

It's quite funny to see a bunch of Germans discussing in English about German TV 

Right. And honestly I'm awaiting the day of a German board meet up where everyone continues talking English.
Didn't happen so far though...

No problem, Mattlocked! It will happen the moment when there would be just one member among us who doesn't understand German.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 9, 2014 5:31 pm  #43

We can try it on Sunday.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 9, 2014 6:24 pm  #44

Btw, coming back for a second to the dubbing: I really can't wait to see what they'll come up with in the "John asks Sherlock to be his Best Man"-scene. Best Man. Trauzeuge. Just think about it. Doesn't really work. Could be dangerous.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 9, 2014 6:26 pm  #45

And the "Best Man - best friend" - thing won't work, either. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 9, 2014 6:29 pm  #46

The whole scene won't work the way it does in the OV. I already see myself explaining a lot to my boyfriend...

And "clueing for looks" - can't wait to hear the German version of that one.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 9, 2014 6:31 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 9, 2014 6:52 pm  #47

Er weist nach Hinsuchen. 
Er hint nach Weissuchen. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2014 7:17 pm  #48

Er spur nach Suchen? 

Last edited by stoertebeker (January 9, 2014 7:17 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 9, 2014 7:24 pm  #49

Horrible...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 9, 2014 7:33 pm  #50

Yeah, wordplay must be a nightmare for every dubbing director. I feel a bit sorry for them. I suppose they'll rewrite the dialoge of the best man scene.

Maybe we'll open a thread after German airing and collect the horriblest dubbing parts .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 9, 2014 7:54 pm  #51

SolarSystem wrote:

Btw, coming back for a second to the dubbing: I really can't wait to see what they'll come up with in the "John asks Sherlock to be his Best Man"-scene. Best Man. Trauzeuge. Just think about it. Doesn't really work. Could be dangerous.

I would use a mix of "Bester Mann" und "Trauzeuge"

How will they handle: F... cough! 

January 9, 2014 9:18 pm  #52

How will they handle: F... cough! 

Yes, yes! That was another one where I thought 'oh my, what are they gonna do with that?!'.

stoertebeker wrote:

Er spur nach Suchen?

"Er spurt nach Suchen" wouldn't even be all that bad...

January 9, 2014 9:26 pm  #53

In all fairness - I am a translator myself but fortunately I have only to deal with the written, not the spoken word AND pictures. But it is often difficult and the German dubbing is not so bad after all (apart from the du/Sie thing). English poses some really tricky problems - e.g. that you usually don't know the sex of a person introduced as teacher/doctor/cousin, etc. A fact that is often employed to surprise the audience/readers or to create comic effects. In German you always have to make decisions. 
When watching a film or reading a book I always keep thinking "What would I make of this?" This was my first thought on the Best Man scene. Must be a sort of Berufskrankheit. 
Sorry for going OT but I though I love and prefer the original - where would our cultural exchange be without translations? Rant over. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2014 9:37 pm  #54

Susi, I didn't mean to say that dubbing is bad in general, I would say that the result is usually okay. But you mentioned some of the general problems yourself: some things just get lost in translation, some things don't work at all... and just think about the fact that you sometimes have various German voices for the same actor (Benedict for example, Sherlock and Khan have different voices). Things like these make it really difficult for me sometimes to concentrate on movies/tv shows...

January 9, 2014 9:42 pm  #55

I agree. These are really two different subjects - translating as such and dubbing (including the annoying fact that totally different people have the same voice or the same person has different voices). 

March 22, 2014 9:48 pm  #56

Bevor airing series 3 on Pentecost, ARD will show a rerun of series 1 and 2. They start on Good Friday (18/04) and continue with one episode each Friday. This is principally a good idea and reasonable due to the long period between series 2 and 3. BUT guess which time the episodes will air?!? 11:30pm! This is ridiculous!! What a silly programme planning! 

Last edited by stoertebeker (March 22, 2014 9:49 pm)

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 22, 2014 10:06 pm  #57

They have still not understood what a jewel they have bought. It has always aired very late. No wonder that it is not as successful over here as in some other countries. 

March 22, 2014 10:17 pm  #58

And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they showed the episodes of S3 similarly late... probably something around 10:30pm or even 11:00pm...

March 22, 2014 10:31 pm  #59

My thought exactly. They show all sorts of rubbish at 8.15 pm and if they have something really good they hide it late at night. 

March 22, 2014 10:48 pm  #60

I just don't understand. Somebody, anybody at the ARD must have heard by now how popular and successful Sherlock is in UK and around the world! Why on earth do they ignore it. If the series is not suitable for their regular target audience (60+) then they shouldn't have brought it! 

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

Board footera