BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2012 11:46 am  #21

Re: New Look

Maybe A Study in Pink could have pink, you know, for the girlie girls (or boys for that matter).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2012 1:55 pm  #22

I love what you've done with the place!

I'm also very proud of your CSS skills and well balanced design, very nice indeed!

As for those who don't like it - that's understandable, change always invokes a response like that - give it a couple of days and see how you feel.

As for the team, there should be an option to allow members to see the forum in at least one other format, adding a link at the very bottom of the page or on the menu at the top would allow them to see the same content, but with a different overall style (Perhaps the old one).

You really have done some classy work here!!

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 13, 2012 3:14 pm  #23

whoaah.. what a wonderful background! :D I thought I was wrong put some address.. but actually not. hehe..

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

June 13, 2012 5:24 pm  #24

I  just noticed the mag glass and the minature sherlock face!!   adorkable!!   do  you have a watson face?  if so,  what could that signal?   PLEASE  don't ues pink.   I  noticed one member has used the color read for their siggy line,  and it doesn't show up too well on my end.   so   pink----

Also,  where it says index, suggestions, questions & tech help>> new look  right above when I post in the white box...the blue part of the background is interferring with the words,  but I can still see it.   so  that's  ok.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 13, 2012 6:12 pm  #25

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

We've got new Sherlocky icons now.

If there's new messages it'll have the magnifying glass next to it, otherwise it'll have a mini Sherlock.

Ooo, a mini-Sherlock. Not being sarcastic. I'm just imagining how cute a mini-Sherlock would be.

June 13, 2012 6:58 pm  #26

Uh, wow, what a surprise!
I guess I like it. I like how it's inspired by The Art of Deduction!
But I admit I have to get used to it...

I think the white colour on grey is a bit harder to read, though.
The Sherlock/magnifying glass icons are rather lovely!

June 13, 2012 7:23 pm  #27

theCuriousOne wrote:

whoaah.. what a wonderful background! :D I thought I was wrong put some address.. but actually not. hehe..

Curious One, it is so cool because your Sherlock .gif makes it seem like he is looking up at the new digs here and checking them out. I think he approves but he would never let us know that, strict contrarian that he is

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 13, 2012 9:31 pm  #28

Yes, yesterday I too thought I'd clicked into the wrong place.  Then, as a newbie, it was like, "Oh no! I just figured out how this site worked and now they're changing it on me?" Well, luckily it seems to work the same way so that's okay.  My eyes are feeling a bit more tired than usual was I click my way around today - but that's probably because I've been on here so much over the last couple of days I'm now a zombie.   Well, I for one don't actually care what the place looks like as long as I can see it well enough to get my Sherlock fix with my new Sherlockian friends. 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 14, 2012 9:40 am  #29

Thanks guys...it was fun messing around with the CSS although took me around 3 days to figure everything out properly. I will try and make a dummy site that people can go to with the old simple design on...not sure how it can be done but will certainly look into it.

Also, now I know how to do it I'll be able to try out different designs and maybe rotate them every 6 months or something...so if anyone has any ideas just let me know...I know someone has already suggested pink, lol.

I'm already dreaming up a Christmas design based on John's Christmas jumper!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 14, 2012 9:43 am  #30

So you are making ANOTHER site where we send the dummies huh?

WHo gets to choose who goes?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 14, 2012 9:48 am  #31

I guess it'll be like a link or a button that people can click on...so the choice will be entirely theirs!

June 14, 2012 11:53 am  #32

Very good look... Maybe bigger fonts here and there but great !

by,
Nütek

June 14, 2012 10:39 pm  #33

sherlockskitty wrote:

I  I  noticed one member has used the color read for their siggy line,  and it doesn't show up too well on my end.

I believe (!) that was me.  Yeah, I noticed the red didn't show up so I've played with different colors to see what works well.  Currently, it's a shade of purple--NOT pink.   

I'm getting used to the new background; enlarging the font size has really helped.

On another note: the new magnifier and Sherlock icons are great!

And I think having the option to toggle back and forth between this design and another one would be nice and is very thoughtful, if it's not too much trouble.

Thank you very much, SH, for all the time you've spent on this.  Clapping!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 15, 2012 12:39 am  #34

Not sure about the boardhost, but it is generally possible to have several different "themes" and users can select which one they want in their settings. That would be good to have a high-contrast or the old theme for those who find this one had to read but have this one as the default.

I love it, by the way!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 20, 2012 1:30 am  #35

SH I'm a bit sad at the moment...the background image won't load properly for me and so the background is white. I have to select the text to read it.

Has something changed in the last day or so? It's possibly my work fricken IT filter isn't loading the image for some reason.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 20, 2012 2:13 am  #36

well  i've been  having trouble  too  with this new look.  when I first click to get into here,  I get the white background,  THEN  it'll go  to the black design.   Also,  sometimes,  the gif files won't loop at all.   they won't loop  unless I right click,  and then they'll stop looping after the pull down menu is gone.   I'm  talking abt ALL  of  the moving files.  ALL  of them.  I  have uploaded to IE8,  but that obviously doesn't help.   I've done whatever I can do,  without spending money.   The gif files work  sometimes,  but most times they don't.   I  didn't have this prob when we had the old set-up.   sorry  to be such a downer,  SH,  I  know you put a lot of hard work into this.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 20, 2012 2:14 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 20, 2012 3:49 am  #37

Do you have & regularly update your Flash player etc?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 20, 2012 4:14 am  #38

I've not had any problems from my end...

I'm not really a technical person but I guess you could try emptying your cache or clearing out Temp files. And I suppose if you generally have a lot of stuff on your computer that might slow it down...and if you have a lot of tabs open on your browser.

June 20, 2012 4:22 am  #39

Yes, a lot will depend on your computer's size, etc.
I use a free program called Secunia PSI; it checks that everything is updated & working properly; sometimes a few updates get 'missed' even though they are supposedly automatic.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 20, 2012 4:23 am  #40

yes  I  just updated my flash player today to number 11.3 .257   just did that today.    SH,  what win  op system do you have,  and what browser do you use?   I  have win xp 32 bit,  and IE8  which i just got last nite.   thanks.   and both your gifs have stopped looping and   I  can't fix it,  no matter what I do.  also  when I type,  the letters are slow in typing  and scrolling is jerky.  and I usually have just one window open,  and i  delete my cookies  almost every day.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 20, 2012 4:24 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera