BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2014 11:08 pm  #21

Re: German air date

Well, after all, it is not their baby 

Last edited by Harriet (January 8, 2014 11:08 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 8, 2014 11:12 pm  #22

At least on ARD their will be no commercial breaks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 8, 2014 11:16 pm  #23

Harriet wrote:

Pleasure, I knew you little snob would love it

'Little snob'...?! I think it's time for you to go on holiday again!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 8, 2014 11:19 pm  #24

When Sunday's airing has come and gone, I have the big problem, that I cannot talk about season three for almost 6 month with the few friends around me, who do follow Sherlock. Why do they need half a year anyway to finally air it here? And the early summer date is totally wrong. People doing outdoor stuff and things...

January 8, 2014 11:23 pm  #25

SolarSystem wrote:

Yes, 2 hrs. here with you and I feel in dire need of a loong vacation 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 8, 2014 11:27 pm  #26

I second the moron thing. I don't know, but I often get the feeling that German tv is much much much more conservative than British tv. They hardly take risks. They never try something new. (I also think the language barrier adds to the problem, too.)

In Germany we have a very distinct line between entertaining stuff and serious stuff. Simplified: If something is meant to be entertaining, it won't really deal with serious topics, and if something is meant to be serious, there will be no fun in it. (Of course, there are exceptions.)  Sherlock is both and that's a problem. It doesn't fit in.  

I also think the potential audience for Sherlock has vanished before they could even attempt to draw it to the tv. I don't know anyone my age who watches something like Sherlock, Game of Thrones, The Wire, Breaking Bad... on tv. They all buy DVDs or simply have a Netflix account (or download). Dubbing is not popular among people who like these programmes, I guess. So why would they watch it dubbed on tv?

So, I guess, there's just not really a tv audience for Sherlock.

January 8, 2014 11:42 pm  #27

Hera wrote:

I second the moron thing. I don't know, but I often get the feeling that German tv is much much much more conservative than British tv. They hardly take risks. They never try something new. (I also think the language barrier adds to the problem, too.)

Right! And if they for once try something new and creative it's banned into night programme or only shown on regional programme, current example "Der Tartortreiniger".

Hera wrote:

I also think the potential audience for Sherlock has vanished before they could even attempt to draw it to the tv. I don't know anyone my age who watches something like Sherlock, Game of Thrones, The Wire, Breaking Bad... on tv. They all buy DVDs or simply have a Netflix account (or download).

I watched the second series of Game of Thrones on TV, but that was a hugh mistake. I mean, they showed all 10 episodes on one weekend! On sunday evening I didn't know any more who was who  .

Last edited by stoertebeker (January 8, 2014 11:53 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 8, 2014 11:55 pm  #28

Hera, what you say about the potential audience in Germany, is correct, but it doesn't help, that it takes half a year, until they finally air it.  The ov dvds have been out for quite a while by then. Even non experts in the English language can at least try out their luck with English subtitles.  And those, who don't speak or understand English at all, are not the audience, the show is aimed at. Myself, I have to say, that I hardly watch tv anymore. Only occasionally documentaries, life sports and the news, that's it. Even the news I can get online 24/7.

January 9, 2014 6:43 am  #29

Well, did I expect anything else? No not really and if they stick to the "Sie", it would be more than ridiculous. After all what happened. Don't know exactly but I think I am on holiday at this time anyway. Will record it then. Just for curiosity and my husband. His English isn't that good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 9, 2014 7:41 am  #30

I watched all the episodes in English and German because my family wanted to watch the dubbed version (and yet they loved it). 
I do not understand why they show it at this time of year on holiday weekend where half the country is going to Dutch beaches or whatever. It is really a shame that countries all over the world get the series before it airs in Germany. So there basically remain only random viewers or older people who do not watch DVDs or on the Net and who according to my experience do not like "Sherlock" anyway. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2014 8:01 am  #31

Do you know whom to contact to write a comment about that? I have so much time in one of my three jobs...

January 9, 2014 8:04 am  #32

Talking about "Sie" or using surnames:
Do you remember the scene in TBB when John needs cash and finds the scratch mark on the kitchen table? I  think you can hear John calling Sherlock "Holmes" because he wants to express his resentment. As if he said "What did you do again?" and Sherlock answers with a shrug.
I expected to see them calling each other Holmes and Watson in TEH for some minutes when John is really annoyed after Sherlock's return and unable to understand why Sherlock did it.
Would be a nice reminder of old times. And could have been quite funny if Sherlock would have played along with that.
Perhaps the situation will occur some time in the future.

January 9, 2014 8:11 am  #33

SusiGo wrote:

I watched all the episodes in English and German because my family wanted to watch the dubbed version (and yet they loved it). 
I do not understand why they show it at this time of year on holiday weekend where half the country is going to Dutch beaches or whatever. It is really a shame that countries all over the world get the series before it airs in Germany. So there basically remain only random viewers or older people who do not watch DVDs or on the Net and who according to my experience do not like "Sherlock" anyway. 

Well, Susi... it seems they (ARD) made the experience that "Sherlock" didn't reach a audience rate which is good enough to justify any further efforts. And why? Because they already started it in a wrong way, airing it in the late Sunday evening... when everybody prepares for the next working week...
I understand that it doesn't fit in their Saturday evening concept and that Sunday primetime mostly is occupied by Tatort.
But even primetime weekdays would have been better.
ARD weren't interested to promote Sherlock right from the start.

Last edited by gently69 (January 9, 2014 8:15 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 9, 2014 8:34 am  #34

The thing about their evening concept is that they haven't changed it in probably 30 years or so. It's always the same. To be honest, it would have come as such a surprise to me if they had decided to air Sherlock on, let's say, Wednesdey evening.
But well... the dubbing doesn't work that well anway (well, what's new?). When I watched TEH again yesterday there were at least three moments where I thought 'Oh my, they'll completety mess this up with the dubbing, it just won't wor-k.'

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 9, 2014 8:43 am  #35

I just read this and I can't believe it.
The ARD will wait until June to show Sherlock?
I feel so sorry for my Mom and my husband. They want to know how Sherlock survived but they don't speak English. I thougt Sherlock series 3 would air around April? that really sucks

January 9, 2014 8:46 am  #36

Well, that way I don't have to worry that the baby might decide to be born while Sherlock airs ... Hubby is quite relieved about that one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 9, 2014 9:36 am  #37

Harriet wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Yes, 2 hrs. here with you and I feel in dire need of a loong vacation

After long and serious consideration as well as consulting a certain Consulting Detective (no jeaulousy, please!), I have decided to take that as a compliment.

January 9, 2014 9:39 am  #38

Jeau-lousy, right, says it all 

January 9, 2014 9:57 am  #39

Oh, go on vacation, will ya?!

January 9, 2014 3:58 pm  #40

It's quite funny to see a bunch of Germans discussing in English about German TV 
Alas my daughter does not understand the ov so she needs German dubbing - and she she loves it anyway. 

Last edited by Clueing_for _looks (January 9, 2014 3:59 pm)

Board footera