BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2014 2:57 pm  #21

Re: Little Archie

Slightly OT: And him singing in AOC is not so bad either. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 8, 2014 2:58 pm  #22

I really enjoyed Archie's interaction with Sherlock it was really sweet. Especially when Sherlock replies "maggots", and Archie is like "Coooool!", I love Sherlock's face at this moment!

Interesting thing, that episode... I mean.... :

* Sherlock tells Archie "I don't know, i'll ask one", implying he doesn't consider himself as an adult.

* At the end, Sherlock tells Mary and John that they already are the best parents, "Look at all the practice you've had. Well, you're hardly going to need me around now you've got a real baby on the way", aknowledging he probably often acts like a child/baby around Mary and John.

* On the other hand, he tells Mycroft "I'm not a child anymore!" when Mycroft asks him "Remember Red Beard?" (which could be an allusion to something from Sherlock's childhood) and yet, the way he protests, and the way he insists to know the reason behind Mycroft's moment of silence, remind me very much of a little child.

I find all this very interesting.

Because out of these 4 (Archie, John, Mary, Mycroft), and even I see John as a kind of reference for Sherlock (through the seasons, he has more or less taught him what's good or bad etc), Mycroft is the only one who is very close to a "parent figure" for Sherlock (which isn't surprising at all for a big brother actually): he cares a lot about him, always keeps an eye on him, and often adresses him like he would address a child (i.e the sheet scene in Buckingham: a scene in which Sherlock had been very stubborn and childish, actually;  when he tells him not to deal with Irene anymore "Yes Sherlock, you will".... etc etc) and he's the one to whom Sherlock says "I'm not a child" (and yet keeps acting like one most of the time, and I do think, even if he would never admit it, that he enjoys having a big brother who looks after him and treats him like a child)

Anyway, all this: Archie, which could be the very picture of how we imagine Sherlock as a child, and all those allusions to him being (or not being anymore) a child (well, acting like one at least), Mycroft possible allusion to Sherlock's childhood... well, I really don't think it's all a coincidence...

What if it plays a part in next episode?

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 8, 2014 3:01 pm)

Just like old times...

January 8, 2014 3:01 pm  #23

SusiGo wrote:

Slightly OT: And him singing in AOC is not so bad either. 

Just was surprised his voice was softer during the singing than I thought it would be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2014 3:04 pm  #24

He can change his pitch of voice. Just think of Martin Crieff. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 8, 2014 3:08 pm  #25

Well... yes... but we are totally OT now. And you as a moderator. ts ts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2014 3:10 pm  #26

Swanpride wrote:

So what? You don't need to do the act to get your semen in a woman.

Well, that's no fun at all!

Having read too much Parentlock fic my first reaction when I saw little Archie was "HAMISH"!! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 8, 2014 3:12 pm  #27

tonnaree wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

So what? You don't need to do the act to get your semen in a woman.

Well, that's no fun at all!

Having read too much Parentlock fic my first reaction when I saw little Archie was "HAMISH"!! 

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2014 3:28 pm  #28

I see you have managed to return to subject. And in such a scientific and serious fashion. 

January 8, 2014 3:35 pm  #29

LOL. I feel like my serious comment in the middle of the page is totally out of place

Just like old times...

January 8, 2014 3:48 pm  #30

Sorry, Punch Me, your comments are very good and I actually started this as a serious thread. Got somehow out of hand. 

January 8, 2014 3:56 pm  #31

Mary Me wrote, that we haven't seen little Archie before, and that the kids from the abduction were called Max and Claudette.
Thanks, Mary, that puts that little idea of mine to bed. I remember Claudette, but I can't remember, where the name of the boy was mentioned. It's good, that you found that out, because I got one very clear screenshot from the little boy of TRF, and he looks VERY much like Archie, only 2 years younger, but with the same brown curly hair, just a little shorter. But even, if it is the same little actor, that doesn't necessarily imply, that he plays the same character. They could've just used the same kid, especially since Max is just seen for one second, when they are eating the chocolat.

January 8, 2014 5:36 pm  #32

I loved Archie and think that they did 'bond' over likeness.  However, the one thing that stood out for me was that John thought it would be a good idea to leave a child in Sherlock's care unsupervised, considering the last time Sherlock was talking to children (prior to the RF) was in Scandal and he told them people didn't go to heaven they just died.

Even if John trusts Sherlock in a lot of things, I'm surprised he didn't see potential pit falls and ensure he was close by, but Sherlock seems not only to be in the flat by himself with Archie, but also picked out of everyone to talk 'conformity' into him.  Does Sherlock actually strike you as the person to do this??

I have no idea who decided Sherlock was best for the job, who dropped him off and left him in a flat with dead body parts in it, or who decided Sherlock was better left alone - quite frankly they deserve to have a boy obsessed with body parts - they brought it on themselves by introducing him to Sherlock.  LOL

Mxx

January 8, 2014 5:54 pm  #33

@Mirthxx

I think that Sherlock had the contact details for Archie's mom and he called her. She might have been having tea with Mrs. Hudson for all we know. I'm not sure if John would have left a kid alone with Sherlock but since he doesn't live at 221B anymore... 

January 8, 2014 6:06 pm  #34

Mrs. Watson wrote:

@Mirthxx

I think that Sherlock had the contact details for Archie's mom and he called her. She might have been having tea with Mrs. Hudson for all we know. I'm not sure if John would have left a kid alone with Sherlock but since he doesn't live at 221B anymore... 

ahhh yes.  I was forgetting that.  LOL.  Yeah, can see Sherlock overhearing a comment and thinking 'I'll fix that' and calling the mother himself. 

Mxx

January 8, 2014 6:42 pm  #35

Mirthxx wrote:

ahhh yes.  I was forgetting that.  LOL.  Yeah, can see Sherlock overhearing a comment and thinking 'I'll fix that' and calling the mother himself. 

Mxx

Well, it would among his duties after all 

January 8, 2014 6:48 pm  #36

Mrs. Watson wrote:

Mirthxx wrote:

Mxx

Well, it would among his duties after all 

Yes, I think the whole thing was arranged by Sherlock himself.  It fits in with his meeting with Mary's ex as a potential usher.  He seemed to be "vetting" everyone who was going to have anything to do with the wedding.

And it's totally adorable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 8, 2014 7:01 pm  #37

At first I thought little Archie was Billy....the pageboy from the canon. Moreover Archie was the pageboy at the wedding (I think). Maybe we may see him in the future. And surprisingly we didnt see any "Toby" in this story (the dog in the Sign of Four). Later maybe.

I will NEVER fire a gun IN my mouth when I'm planning on Stayin Alive! 

The clue that everyone missed?

January 8, 2014 7:16 pm  #38

I think that's a coincidence. Billy suits Archie's character.....little guy with a big curious and inquisitive mind...

January 8, 2014 7:23 pm  #39

The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone:

"That will do, Billy," said he. "You were in danger of your life then, my boy, and I can't do without you just yet. Well, Watson, it is good to see you in your old quarters once again. You come at a critical moment."

"So I gather."

"You can go, Billy. That boy is a problem, Watson. How far am I justified in allowing him to be in danger?"

"Danger of what, Holmes?"

"Of sudden death. I'm expecting something this evening."

"Expecting what?"

"To be murdered, Watson."

January 9, 2014 1:53 am  #40

Archie was great.  I was curious as to why the writers chose "Archie" for the name of the character so I looked it up online.  Interestingly, Archie means: Genuine, bold, brave.  I wonder if there's any significance to that, then?  The description certainly fits Sherlock, imo.  I don't know the canon much so if the name was a reference to someone in a story, it totally went by me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera