BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2014 3:07 pm  #1

Jealous?

In TEH Sherlock hears John in his head during his examination of the skeleton. One of the things he hear is "jealous?" I don't understand what it's supposed to mean. 
Does it make any sense to you? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John : Intelligent, fine. Let's give smart ass a wide berth.
Sherlock :  I'll just be myself.

January 5, 2014 3:11 pm  #2

Re: Jealous?

This actually bothers me since the beginning and I would be really glad if somebody comes up with a convincing explanation!

Thanks for opening the thread, Sanaz!

The Game is On!

January 5, 2014 3:11 pm  #3

Maybe Sherlock is a bit jealous of Molly who proves to be quite observant and clever here? ("Male...forty to fifty years...")

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 5, 2014 3:15 pm  #4

Or Sherlock is missing John and jealous because of Mary?

> Don't take it personally, please. <

edit: foreign-language-problems: grammar, orthography, wrong vocables, breaks

January 5, 2014 3:29 pm  #5

Marva wrote:

This actually bothers me since the beginning and I would be really glad if somebody comes up with a convincing explanation!

Thanks for opening the thread, Sanaz!

I would've forgotten it if you haven't bring it forward yesterday. 

I don't think Sherlock is Jealous of Molly for her competence. He's not that kind of person. He likes intelligence in people. 
Being jealous of Mary is far-fetched but more plausible. Maybe he misses how in sync John was with him during investigations. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 5, 2014 3:32 pm  #6

I also had the idea that Sherlock might be jealous of Mary. But only because this seems to be the most likely explanation, not because I think it as a very good or very convincing one. Is there anything else that indicates that he could be jealous of her? Something directly from the episode, not only a deduction like 'she is the most important person in John's life now, so of course he must be jealous'?

The Game is On!

January 5, 2014 3:35 pm  #7

He can be jealous of John not being there without being jealous of Mary.  He has no reason to be jealous of her, because it's John who is keeping himself away- not Mary.  He's jealous that John is getting on with his life without him.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 5, 2014 3:38 pm  #8

I watched it several times and i didn't see anything indicating jealousy towards Mary. 
In this scene we see that Molly gets in his way. Something John never did. Maybe that's why he suddenly feels Jealous, but it's all speculation. 

January 5, 2014 4:37 pm  #9

Sanaz wrote:

I watched it several times and i didn't see anything indicating jealousy towards Mary. 
In this scene we see that Molly gets in his way. Something John never did. Maybe that's why he suddenly feels Jealous, but it's all speculation. 

That´s exactly what I thought. Molly works a little bit like Sherlock, focussed on the same things. They even speak out the same conclusion together ("not older than 6 months" or so), she excuses before for coming into his way, he forces himself to let her do this generously etc. She is very much the same, and this is probably not helpful for him. I interpreted that "jealous" therefore also towards Molly, who is nearly so quick like him in that scene .

January 5, 2014 4:48 pm  #10

But I would think that all the things that come into his mind have at least a tiny bit to do with John. I have no definite proof for this, but maybe it's a bit like sj4iy said: Sherlock might be jealous of John and also of Molly for getting on with their lives. I would think that Sherlock has already seen the ring on Molly's finger - a bit later he congratulates her on it. He probably has seen it immediately, don't you think? So John as well as Molly have gotten on without him.
I have to admit though that jealousy isn't exactly an emotion I would expect of Sherlock... then again, he is kind of insecure after his return, which could explain why he might feel kind of unusual emotions...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 5, 2014 4:51 pm  #11

I just thought Sherlock was imagining that John would have said "jealous" if he was there. Teasing him.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 5, 2014 4:51 pm)

January 5, 2014 5:02 pm  #12

SolarSystem wrote:

But I would think that all the things that come into his mind have at least a tiny bit to do with John. I have no definite proof for this, but maybe it's a bit like sj4iy said: Sherlock might be jealous of John and also of Molly for getting on with their lives. I would think that Sherlock has already seen the ring on Molly's finger - a bit later he congratulates her on it. He probably has seen it immediately, don't you think? So John as well as Molly have gotten on without him.
I have to admit though that jealousy isn't exactly an emotion I would expect of Sherlock... then again, he is kind of insecure after his return, which could explain why he might feel kind of unusual emotions...?

Did you detect anything particular to base your speculation on? My problem is that "jealous?" is very much out of context and character and we get no explanation later on. 

January 5, 2014 5:45 pm  #13

Hasn't the word "jealous" been used before in Sherlock and in the context of John saying it to Sherlock? Something about the way it sounds rings a bell...

All the voices he hears in his head are supposed to be John speaking to him, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 5, 2014 5:50 pm  #14

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Hasn't the word "jealous" been used before in Sherlock and in the context of John saying it to Sherlock? Something about the way it sounds rings a bell...

All the voices he hears in his head are supposed to be John speaking to him, right?

Yes, it´s John speaking to him, as a sign, how much he misses and needs his comments. And him in person. Most of them are more or less direct quotes from episodes before. "Jealous" not, I think, I was asking this myself as well.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 5, 2014 5:51 pm)

January 8, 2014 8:29 am  #15

I think it's John "dogging" Sherlock.....  Molly says.."you're on to something" Sherlock says "maybe" and John says "show off".... because he is.
Molly says " male 40-50...." and Sherlock steps in, Molly says sorry, Sherlock says "no, be my guest"...
Then Molly starts to run down the info she has collected... and Sherlock holds his tongue... until... he can't stand it, and probably is worried if he doesn't chime in, that he won't be able to say "I knew that" after the fact.... and says "6 months old" in unison with Molly... gotta keep his power trip going.
Then John dogs him about forgetting to "turn up his collar"  and such... all the things that Sherlock remembers, and Hates and Loves about John....
Just my humble opine

January 8, 2014 11:45 am  #16

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

The only time I remember I heard this word yet is when Irene Adler says it to John (overheard by Sherlock, probably).

And yes, I also understood it that way that he imagines John speaking to him.

The Game is On!

Board footera