BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2014 11:41 pm  #1

Reusing dialogue

Did anyone else notice they reused quite a few lines from TRF, and repeated several lines within the episode? How do you feel about it? Like it? Hate it? Depends on the line?

Personally, I like some of the things they included, but for the most part I think they relied on it too heavily (such as the conversation about needing Molly) and it just came off as.... cheesy. On this count, I'm disappointed in them.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back." -- The Prestige

"Just one more thing, one more thing, one more miracle, Sherlock, for me, don’t be … dead. Would you do that just for me?" -- John (s2e3)

January 3, 2014 8:21 am  #2

Re: Reusing dialogue

I really like the "How would you know" in the Sherlock/Mycroft deduction scene. And there is one moment I cannot recall exactly when John says "not really my area" which reminded me of Sherlock in ASiP. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2014 8:31 am  #3

SusiGo wrote:

I really like the "How would you know" in the Sherlock/Mycroft deduction scene. And there is one moment I cannot recall exactly when John says "not really my area" which reminded me of Sherlock in ASiP. 

"How would you know." - to me it seemed a bit like tit for tat. I love it!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 3, 2014 8:38 am  #4

And we can wonder if both of them were right. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2014 8:44 am  #5

I have seen them reusing lines I know from Sherlock (which I saw first) in "Coupling", "Jekyll" and "Doctor Who" so far. Same words, same intonation, even if spoken by another actor. It is a bit annoying, but probably human to quote yourself.

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

January 3, 2014 8:57 am  #6

kete wrote:

It is a bit annoying, but probably human to quote yourself.

Annoying? Maybe for someone so well-versed in the authors' entire work canon. I like it when I can tell the author just by the language style. It's like meeting old aquaintances.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 3, 2014 3:27 pm  #7

Quoting oneself can be quite unconscious, I do it a lot when I write texts, repeating words etcetera. But those seem deliberate. 

January 3, 2014 4:20 pm  #8

SusiGo wrote:

There also was John saying "it wasn't working for me" after he had shaved off The Moustache, and we all know that that's what Molly said about her lipstick in ASiP. I actually loved those little quotations.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 4, 2014 1:12 am  #9

I agree there were definitely good moments-- good lines included to honor or acknowledge highlights of previous episodes (you all have provided prime examples). But, for example, there was also at least one scene where he said effectively "Moriarty was wrong. There was another person who mattered. The person he thought mattered the least was actually the one that mattered the most. That person was you, Molly Hooper." That's practically the same thing as what he said in TRF, and there were other scenes (I need to rewatch) where it's just basically the same conversation or set of lines all over again. One liners are awesome, but I wasn't so happy with entire conversations or monologues being used almost verbatim.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back." -- The Prestige

"Just one more thing, one more thing, one more miracle, Sherlock, for me, don’t be … dead. Would you do that just for me?" -- John (s2e3)

January 7, 2014 10:08 pm  #10

Can quote episode or anything, but I recall Gatiss using a line from Dr. Who in Sherlock.
(No, it wasn't dinosaurs on a space ship lol).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

January 8, 2014 1:11 am  #11

SusiGo wrote:

And there is one moment I cannot recall exactly when John says "not really my area" which reminded me of Sherlock in ASiP. 

That reminded me of Graham...Gavin...Greg Lestrade in TRF saying, "Not my division."  (Or was it "our"?  Must rewatch!)  Not a direct quote, more like an echo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera