BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2014 5:08 pm  #321

Re: The theory he told Anderson - The actual answer??

ruthinks, that's a VERY good question, lol! They have at least placed SOME clues in the episodes. That's why we are all theorizing like mad . And they definitely encouraged us to look. The problem is, that sometimes it's very hard to tell, if some thing is a genuine clue, a decoy or just a mistake or continuity error on their side. It's fiction after all. Some of us, not all though, feel atm, that they placed many, many clues in TRF, and hardly resolved any. That's, why we are especially unsure right now, what is a clue, and what is just weird or a mistake. And you are right, some speculations are well over the top. And, as some of us said, the show is very clever, but maybe not as clever as we think it is. Which is our mistake, not theirs.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 7, 2014 5:09 pm)

January 7, 2014 5:27 pm  #322

Flashforward would work for me too. I didn't remember the exact wording that he used, so well, flashforward it is, then. Doesn't change anything else. 

Misleading theme... interesting, but that doesn't mean it's misleading in every single instance. I find it too vague for that. The point could just as well be that he HAS mislead everyone, not that he's doing it right now. And Moftiss just like to troll. 

And yes, people are overanalyzing it. Massively. We see patterns where none exist all the time and we love it. Moftiss are only encouraging the madness. The show invites analysis by its very nature. Personally I prefer the simple solution. Theory 3 is the one, end of story, occam's razor. 

January 7, 2014 5:48 pm  #323

Ha, ha, silverblaze, can't we just agree to disagree on that? I really like your argument concerning dramaturgy, but, as I wrote, my dramaturgy leads me down a different path. And occam's razor ( which IMO isn't a very good yardstick for this show ), would tell me, that this absurd jump into this ridiculously blue pillow can't be it, lol! Mofftiss had two years time to come up with something more plausible. I really think, we will never know... and that's, what they aimed at.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 7, 2014 5:50 pm)

January 7, 2014 5:55 pm  #324

sherlocked wrote:

I really think, we will never know... and that's, what they aimed at.

They just wanted to leave room for further theories, fan fiction and stuff. After two years of outrageous and incredibly detailed theories on the fandom's part they knew they couldn't satisfy everyone.
I believe that theory 3 was the one they always had in mind as true solution but that they just decided to present it in a way that would leave said space for further interpretation. Those who really wanted an explanation should just be satisfied with the last one because I think it's what Moffat and Gatiss always had intended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 7, 2014 6:08 pm  #325

I beg to differ, Mary. Many of us feel, that theory No 3 isn't a very good explanation for many reasons. Has nothing to do with not meeting my own theories, btw. I wasn't even wrong in all points, lol! And, by keeping it vague, they opened up the possibilty to insert other theories. I'm going here by, what Mofftiss said themselves about theory 3 after the airing of TEH: 'It's a plausible one, but why would he tell Anderson?'. Why would they plant the seeds of doubt, if they wanted to make clear, that theory No 3 is the only correct one? So, since nothing can be proven one way or another, it really comes down to personal preferences. If you like theory No3, consider the case resolved, if not, feel free to reject it.

January 7, 2014 6:11 pm  #326

sherlocked wrote:

If you like theory No3, consider the case resolved, if not, feel free to reject it.

That's what I mean. 
I consider the case solved because honestly, I don't want to put up with the Reichenbach mystery again.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 7, 2014 6:14 pm  #327

Yep, it's so 2 years ago!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 7, 2014 6:15 pm  #328

That's perfectly fine with me, Mary  . And let me tell you: if nothing more comes forward in the next episode, I won't busy myself any longer with the mysteries of TRF, either. Enough is enough.

January 7, 2014 6:49 pm  #329

So to those who believe the Anderson explanation just ponder about these few points:
1. Moriarty's people had to see the fall NOT WATSON
2. Moriarty made the fake call about an injured Mrs. Hudson to get Sherlock alone. I'm 100% positive cause he texts Sherlock right after that he's waiting on the rooftop. And no he didn't see watson leaving the building cause there was no time ,also it's canon (Doyle's ). In short, Watson wasn't supposed to be there on the street at all. Rewatch the scene, Sherlock sees Watson's cab driving up so he calls him to prevent him to come closer to whatever it was that was set up on the street.
3. Lazarus as clockwork implies that Sherlock's homeless network are a bunch of highly trained professional stuntmen or magician assistants or circus workers or a troupe of improve actors. As opposed to what they really are which is Sherlock's personal CCTV, basically just spies and informants. Also such a stunt needs rehearsal , when did Sherlock and his 25+ accomplices practice?
4. And to people saying it was planned maybe months in advance with Mycroft d The person who mattered the most and made it all happen was, as we all know ,Molly, and do you know when Sherlock came to ask her help? The night before , maybe not more than 12 hours.
5.the rubberball nonesense: So apparently there's atrick to cut off peripheral circulation in your arm, One of your arms. What if Watson took the radial pulse from the other one? Also that's not how you confirm death, the radial pulse is for quick assessmrnt of heart rate, rythym and volume are best assessed from the brachial and carotid arteries. Watson wasn't devastated cause : Oh no! I couldn't locate the radial pulse in the two second I was allowed to touch the man I just saw jump to his death and crack his skull open. It wasn't even necessary, who says fall victims die instantly? The hobos peeled him off Sherlock cause he wasn't in on the trick and as a doctor he he would have figured out in like 30 seconds that he wasn't seriously injured. I'm 4 months shy of getting my MD , I know what I'm talking about. This can also be found in canon's the Dying Detective where Sherlock was faking mortal illness and never allowed Watson to come near him because he not only acknowledged but respected his friend's clinical judgment.
6. This was an explanation of how they Filmed it not how Sherlock did it.
7. The window, Molly's window on the second floor seems to be of importance, first he crashes into it then they throw a body out of it.

January 7, 2014 6:55 pm  #330

Except he didn't crash through it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 7, 2014 7:31 pm  #331

He did , maybe should have said smashed through it , in the first explanation. I meant that maybe the writers want to bring our attention to it as integral to the "actual" solution which is what most people missed. Sorry my post was getting long, incoherent and andersonny.

January 7, 2014 7:35 pm  #332

Ah, but Anderson is so much more clever, now.
Tee Hee.

January 7, 2014 7:44 pm  #333

John was in shock and you do not simply question if your best friend is actually dead after he jumped off a roof regardless if you're allowed to check his pulse for 3 seconds only. You're in shock and you believe it. It's a very human thing to do.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 7, 2014 9:39 pm  #334

Mary Me wrote:

John was in shock and you do not simply question if your best friend is actually dead after he jumped off a roof regardless if you're allowed to check his pulse for 3 seconds only. You're in shock and you believe it. It's a very human thing to do.

Which is my point, the rubberball as a device to fool Watson was unnecessary, ergot fake solution. Similar to the heroic Molly kissing in the first theory. That was the point that totally convinced me we were being duped, even if I was suspending my disbelief during the bungee rope or big blue air bag.

Even so John is a medical doctor, an experienced field army doctor. He ran over to Sherlock not to cry over spilled blood. He ran over to offer medical assistance, to save his friend's life. Even in shock, any physician can carry out  a primary survey, it's what they're trained to do, also being "in shock" is not what it looks like in movies.

January 7, 2014 10:56 pm  #335

Yeahright wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Which is my point, the rubberball as a device to fool Watson was unnecessary, ergot fake solution. Similar to the heroic Molly kissing in the first theory. That was the point that totally convinced me we were being duped, even if I was suspending my disbelief during the bungee rope or big blue air bag.

Even so John is a medical doctor, an experienced field army doctor. He ran over to Sherlock not to cry over spilled blood. He ran over to offer medical assistance, to save his friend's life. Even in shock, any physician can carry out a primary survey, it's what they're trained to do, also being "in shock" is not what it looks like in movies.

Obviously of course was John in shock. I've read some interesting in the subtitles. All the people around John say to him:

"It's alright, it's alright."

How about that completely another story: No need for a rubberball and no bloodthings and such staff. It was not a necessary secret, that there was still a pulse. Because Sherlock really was more or less seriously injured. Around them were not the homeless, just passersby in front of a hospital, who cared about John and Sherlock til the emergencys came. And we don't know, when John get the fact of Sherlocks "death". Did I mentioned, I don't buy the whole Big Brother Conspiracy. (because of lots of reasons. Edit: One of them: There is no keycode, DOOFUS!)

And did I mentioned, of course I will accept und respect the end of the Reichenbach riddle. And there were lots of really nice ideas to handle the expectance of the audience. I like both films, Reichenbachfall and Empty Hearse, very much. (I'm curious about my next week thinking. :-/)

For theorizing: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4093&p=1

Last edited by s.he (January 7, 2014 11:01 pm)

> Don't take it personally, please. <

edit: foreign-language-problems: grammar, orthography, wrong vocables, breaks

January 7, 2014 11:38 pm  #336

Well, apparently the BBC have made a statement that the theory told to Anderson is how he did it and it won't be revisted again.

http://cumberbatchweb.tumblr.com/post/72599886283/so-wait-does-this-mean-when-sherlock-was-telling

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 7, 2014 11:54 pm  #337

Wholocked wrote:

Well, apparently the BBC have made a statement that the theory told to Anderson is how he did it and it won't be revisted again.

http://cumberbatchweb.tumblr.com/post/72599886283/so-wait-does-this-mean-when-sherlock-was-telling

It appeared few days ago and you can read the text of the article here: http://distractions40.tumblr.com/post/72347358621

But who cares about sunday times and "the bbc"?

Last edited by s.he (January 7, 2014 11:55 pm)

January 7, 2014 11:59 pm  #338

s.he wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

It appeared few days ago and you can read the text of the article here: http://distractions40.tumblr.com/post/72347358621

I'm disappointed that they're not going to give us an explanation that actually makes sense, but I think the BBC are a reliable source in answer to that, no?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 8, 2014 12:08 am  #339

Wholocked, I'm extremely disappointed, too, but I have the sinking feeling, that was it. Though I read an article in the Telegraph the other day, where the BBC was accused of harbouring only lying leftist bastards, lol!

Last edited by sherlocked (January 8, 2014 12:09 am)

January 8, 2014 12:16 am  #340

Wholocked wrote:

s.he wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

I'm disappointed that they're not going to give us an explanation that actually makes sense, but I think the BBC are a reliable source in answer to that, no?

I don't know. Why some nameless from the BBC say it, not the officials of the production? Sunday Times gets the only quote that it will be final? After the hype? Guess more papers asked the bbc about it... whatever.

Board footera