BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2013 8:52 pm  #41

Re: Molly Hooper Fan Club

At my job, we refer to the doctors as Dr. fill in the blank, but we're not on first name basis with them.
(frankly, we're just happy if they're not rude to us).
We never see Molly with staff around. Frankly that's the most deserted hospital I've ever seen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

August 4, 2013 10:42 am  #42

What's that?
One would think that a professional laboratory worker/pathologist had fitting gloves!

August 4, 2013 11:07 am  #43

Awww it's so sweet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

October 22, 2013 12:14 am  #44

I like this character very much because there is much of me on her. Sherlock doesn't respect her, he treats her badly sometimes because he feels better than her and Molly has to do whatever Sherlock wants and whenever he wants it. In that aspect, I totally feel indentified with Molly and that's why I love her. Although he is not being  treated very well by our special peculiar consulting detective, she still supports him, accepts  and helps him. She has a beautiful and true heart!!!  I really like her!!!! great character!!!!!!
But what happens between these two characters is very real and true since there is always someone who feels better than you, and he/she knows how  to make you feel this!!!!!!

Last edited by spanisherlock (October 22, 2013 12:19 am)

The begining of a great adventure!!!

October 22, 2013 5:49 am  #45

Yes but to be fair, I think what you're describing is how the Sherlock and Molly relationship was in the beginning.
I like to feel it will have moved on some what in S3.
I feel it has already moved on, even by the end of S2.
I do hope Sherlock's emotion was genuine, in his last scene with Molly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 18, 2013 9:05 pm  #46

^Making conversation is definitely not Molly's area.  I recognize molly's character as NOT weak willed but socially disabled in a way. She lacks social interaction skills just like Sherlock. She is a mirror to him in a way.

Also, this has been noted before but Sherlock does discourage Molly's involvement with men. The crisps/lunch scene in the Great Game.  " for the sake of..." line where he basically tells her not to date so the world can stop having to deal with psychos.  or you can read that as, for the sake of normalcy in my life by having my support system around me and useful to me when I need them please don't date and leave me (sherlock)

I love Molly's scenes and believe that she will continue to have a great character arc in Series 3.  She was afterall-besides Mycroft- In on the fake suicide. She has earned her right to stand beside Sherlock as a integral part  of his life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

January 7, 2014 6:21 pm  #47

Okay, newbie here, just posting my couple of 2 cents worth:

With regard to Molly's inclusion into the series - in respect to her not being canon - when Conan Doyle wrote the stories, you could perhaps bear in mind that women were regarded rather differently then to how they are now.  In Victorian England, women did not have the power or the understanding or respect that is regarded as their right today.  Men understood other men in as much as they were regarded as being more important than women, generally speaking, and also that they were - again, generally speaking, much more able to be fulfilled human beings. Women were even more of a mystery than they are considered now, by the male population and because we fear what we don't understand, for thousands of years their role has been strictly defined and enforced, largely speaking, so that the men could maintain control of their own environments much more than they are able to today.

As this version of the stories are very deliberately modern day, I feel that Molly (although she has only been included through the series because Lou was so very good in the part) is absolutely a necessary inclusion in the series.  One of the previous posts has already pretty much stated why [sorry don't know how to include quote from that post without losing this reply} and I would add that although women to a fair extent allowed themselves to be restricted by men because a) they didn't have a lot of choice in the matter, and b) it made their lives less stressful, imho, I'm assuming that they would still have had a lot of the emotions and desires that the women of today have. Therefore we are getting a very important point of view - the female perspective - that was simply missing from the original stories. 

My other 2 cents worth is much shorter (phew! says you); it is that Sherlock only seems to be really mean to Molly when she shows signs of having a boyfriend.  Whether he manipulates to ensure that the people he needs stay within his circle, or has some kind of genuine, subconscious, feelings for her, not necessarily what we might regard as the obvious ones - he is the mystery that is Sherlock after all -, I can't say. Her feelings for him, as far as he's concerned, seem inappropriate, but also, he demonstrates on several occasions that he feels he mustn't lose her.  My final thought is this: he tells her that Moriarty made a mistake in not considering her as being important to Sherlock, when in fact she was the one person who was most important.  The *entire* content of both of those very important meetings that he has with Molly - when he asks her to help him 'die' and after her 'day out solving crimes with him' when he tells her how important she was and that it was to thank her - are something that only the two of them know about.  It feels very much as if he's shared a part of himself with her that he hasn't really shared with anyone else, even John.  Molly is someone, I think who has developed and hopefully will continue to in some way, into a unique confidante.  This is, I think, because she does see him as he is, she is willing to stand up for herself, which has garnered his respect over time, and she still cares.  She is and always has been capable of giving him some things that he needs that he can get nowhere else.

[Sorry, I did intend for that point to be a lot shorter!]

Lastly, I think that he perhaps has treated her in the past with the meanness that he did, to keep her safe, for the same reason that he would want and has wanted, to keep John safe.  I guess we all know that reason.  As Sherlock would possibly say himself - 'do I really have to say it?'  He reminds me so much of Tennant's doctor when he initially had to leave Rose in the alternate universe.

Okay.  Hit me!

Last edited by asylum69 (January 7, 2014 6:25 pm)

January 7, 2014 6:37 pm  #48

I love her.
I also think Sherlock does, as a friend and he also values her as a colleague.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera