BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2013 10:03 pm  #81

Re: JOHN HAS A NEW BLOG POST!!!.

I fully agree with you, sj4iy. I think it nicely complements and comments the series. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 26, 2013 11:15 pm  #82

sj4iy wrote:

...he's an army Doctor.  Not an author.  I would find it unbelievable to see him writing prose like the original John Watson...especially on a blog.

In any case, it's just a bit of fun...really nothing to get upset about, I think.

The original JW was an army doctor and not an author - until he started chronicling SH's adventures. So I would expect better prose from him even in this incarnation. But it's nothing I get upset about, I just wish they would take more care with the blog, because it *could* be better than it is now.

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

December 26, 2013 11:47 pm  #83

kete wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

...he's an army Doctor.  Not an author.  I would find it unbelievable to see him writing prose like the original John Watson...especially on a blog.

In any case, it's just a bit of fun...really nothing to get upset about, I think.

The original JW was an army doctor and not an author - until he started chronicling SH's adventures. So I would expect better prose from him even in this incarnation. But it's nothing I get upset about, I just wish they would take more care with the blog, because it *could* be better than it is now.

Just because the first Watson was a world class writer doesn't mean that this one has to be, too.  The difference being that the original Watson was being used as a narrator for Doyle's stories, whereas this Watson is being used as the audience's eyes into the world of Sherlock Holmes...but visually, not textually.  The blogs aren't used as the audience's 'eyes' this time around, therefore, it would make more sense that an army Doctor who can barely uses a computer (he types with two fingers) would not have much experience in writing.  And blogs are different- they are more casual.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

December 27, 2013 12:44 am  #84

Swanpride wrote:

But we are supposed to believe that this blog is popular enough to make Sherlock an Internet Phenomenon. So the posts should have a certain wittyness to them to warrant this kind of attention.

...I COULD list a long list of terrible bloggers who are somehow ridiculously popular, but I think I've already made my point ;)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

January 2, 2014 5:31 am  #85

Empty hearse post at johns blog....

January 3, 2014 10:57 pm  #86

Well, if JL is a professional screenwriter then the poor writing style is deliberate. No professional writer makes such poor prose, not even screenwriters. Heck, most of the commenters here write better. I do find them a bit OOC too sometimes but I'm really not so into nitpicking. The idea is pretty cool in itself. 

January 4, 2014 2:21 am  #87

Ok I know that the fandom seem to have worked out who 'theimprobableone' is but I still can't figure it out?! Is it supposed to be Anderson? Surely not, 'theimprobableone' showed up long before Anderson changed his tune.

Anyone know who it's supposed to be?!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 4, 2014 10:56 am  #88

A BBC canon character? Not one of the main ones, I can't think of any. Sally? Molly's boyfriend? Nah, doesn't make sense. 

January 7, 2014 1:49 pm  #89

And another one, this time by Sherlock himself:

http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/11august

To me this once again shows that one should not rely on this blog. It is a nice addition but there are discrepancies between what we get in the series and here. Just take Sherlock's statement that the Mayfly man slept with the women while they stress in the episode how romantic he was and nothing happened between them. 
And frankly the way Sherlock writes here does not really fit with what I have seen in TSoS.

Last edited by SusiGo (January 7, 2014 1:59 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 7, 2014 2:15 pm  #90

Well, I should not read that blog at work. *still giggles*

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 7, 2014 2:26 pm  #91

The way I saw it was the Mayfly man picked up women for sex using the identities of the recently dead. Which John deduced. During the game of Guess Who Sherlock worked out that Mayfly utilised the same methods to target five particular women for other reasons.
I did like Sherlocks reference to Eastenders. Only Sherlock would refer to it as 'the Eastenders'.

January 7, 2014 2:51 pm  #92

Arg! Poor Sherlock

Mary has to go.

Sorry, guys, I'll shut up. Just my opinion escaping my brain

January 7, 2014 6:07 pm  #93

Are you guys really taking John's Blog all that seriously?  It's a funny little comic addition - most of the time a very tongue-in-cheek inflation of the characters - that always gives me a good laugh, nothing more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 7, 2014 6:24 pm  #94

I agree with you, KP. That is what I meant by not relying on this blog for timelines, etc. 

January 7, 2014 11:00 pm  #95

Yeah you can't. Sherlock's description of the murder was incorrect as well. I dunno what Joe's doing or why no-one is 'fact'-checking it but it's just a fun addition, obviously. I don't know why they both dating the posts at all though if they're going to be so wildly inaccurate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 7, 2014 11:08 pm  #96

KeepersPrice wrote:

Are you guys really taking John's Blog all that seriously? It's a funny little comic addition - most of the time a very tongue-in-cheek inflation of the characters - that always gives me a good laugh, nothing more.

Same.  It's just for fun, nothing important.

January 7, 2014 11:15 pm  #97

sj4iy wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Are you guys really taking John's Blog all that seriously? It's a funny little comic addition - most of the time a very tongue-in-cheek inflation of the characters - that always gives me a good laugh, nothing more.

Same.  It's just for fun, nothing important.

I am still curious to know who is running the blog, though.

January 7, 2014 11:33 pm  #98

Joe Lidster at the BBC writes the blog. He has a twitter account.

January 7, 2014 11:36 pm  #99

Wholocked wrote:

Joe Lidster at the BBC writes the blog. He has a twitter account.

Bril, thank you

January 8, 2014 1:16 am  #100

Poison giant case , emails of pearls ? In canon Sign of four , Marys case begins the same way....she is sent a pearl each birthday.
At the end John notes ..... they didn't discover who tried to kill them...
Was this CAMs second attempt on Johns life?

CAM seems jealous , aiming at John because of Mary , can't be family, too obsessed for friend ..... ex lover ? Ex fiancee even ?

Intresting allusion to canon tho hm.

Board footera