BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2013 11:22 pm  #181

Re: National Theatre "Live"- Frankenstein

SolarSystem wrote:

You are so right, Susi, the way he acted with his entire body... Benedict must be totally exhausted after such a performance. I mean, it's not just walking on stage, delivering your lines and giving an outstanding performance. It's so much more in this case. From head to toes, he really was the Creature...!
I was also quite amazed by the way in which they brought humour into the show. It probably goes back to the play, I know, what nevertheless.. the way in which Benedict delivered those slightly humorous lines was just... sometimes I was quite close to tears, it was that moving.

Seconding this.  There were times I couldn't help but lift brows a bit and stare, thinking 'wow, look at him emoting all that!!'.  And yes, of course, the deeper theme of the humanity of all of us it comes down to, just like from the novel.  Was so glad they put so much quality into every aspect of it!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 6, 2014 11:55 pm  #182

About to see Ben playing the Creature in just over half an hour! It's freezing here in D.C. and I'm sick. He better be effing brilliant! ;)

January 7, 2014 4:11 am  #183

Well, everyone can relax now. Turns out he was brilliant. The whole show was so cool, the music, the humor, all the performances. I feel so lucky to have been able to see it.

I've decided I need to see Benedict dance (other than that great candid YouTube vid of course). If I didn't know who he was I'd have sworn he was a trained modern dancer after seeing this performance. And I'm no longer confused about how or why he did the motion capture for Smaug. He. Is. A. Genius.

I read that this show had the most encore performances of any NTLive play. It's easy to see why. What a great idea this is, to let people everywhere be able to (affordably) experience the best live theater in the world!

I have tickets for Tom Hiddleston's Coriolanus next month. Let the parade of brilliance continue!

January 7, 2014 6:54 am  #184

Me too.
Loved Frankie, can't wait to see Corrie!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 27, 2014 10:45 pm  #185

I saw the version with Benedict as Frankenstein and Jonny Lee Miller as Creature and it was amazing. JLM's performance was beyond words and I'm curious if he performed Frankenstein equaly perfect. An of course I'd like to see Benedict as Creature, I wonder how his performance was (I'm sure he was brilliant). Thank you, National Theather Live and British Council! It's great I was able to see such awesome plays as Corionalus and Frankenstein, though I'm not living in the UK. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

March 28, 2014 4:35 pm  #186

I think JLM was not quite as convincing as Frankenstein, while IMO they were both equally superb as the Creature. In any case, both versions are a joy to watch.

May 21, 2014 6:00 am  #187

I've finally got my mits on a way of seeing this.

I was blown away. Danny Boyles direction was exemplary, I loved the staging.

Benedict was the creature and OH MY GOD I was left completely stunned by it. The physicality of it, the jerky grace of his movements, the childlike wonder of discovery, coupled with the animalistic brutality of his anger and frustration. Despite what he did, I could not help but feel for the creature at all points. He was endearing, just desperate for a friend and some kind of acceptance. Tragic that the one who gave him life rejected him, the ultimate rejection.

I have access to the other version and will be watching tomorrow. I cannot wait!!

I should add I'm astounded either of them survived the run, it must have been so physically draining to play the creature. They must have ached from head to toe!!

I'm clueing for looks

May 21, 2014 6:10 am  #188

Yep, Benedict was knackered going back to Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 21, 2014 6:14 am  #189

So envious!!
I would love to see this and I'm kicking myself to have missed out.
Keep hoping for a screening near me, but I don't know how likely that is.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 21, 2014 6:15 am  #190

In a couple of years, maybe they'll re show them.

May 21, 2014 6:34 am  #191

I also would watch it again if I have the chance to. I was immensely impressed by Benedict's performance. Everything that you mentioned, clare ... he did a brilliant convincing job in this play.
As a whole I was fascinated of that staging.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 25, 2014 9:40 pm  #192

Info for everybody in Nothern Germany: The Savoy cinema in Hamburg will show Frankenstein with Benedict as creature on the 7th July  . Tickets are still available. I bought mine last week, finally able to see Ben as creature (I have only seen the other version yet)  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 25, 2014 9:50 pm  #193

Oh, have a great time then!
Apparently there also is a screening in Munich, but right now those seem to be the only encore screenings in Germany.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 25, 2014 11:51 pm  #194

I'm so envious, I'd love to see the version with Benedict as Creature! But I'm happy to hear the play is still shown, it gives me hope  
Hm, actually Hamburg is only like eight hours away... 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 26, 2014 4:09 pm  #195

Marta wrote:

I'm so envious, I'd love to see the version with Benedict as Creature! But I'm happy to hear the play is still shown, it gives me hope  
Hm, actually Hamburg is only like eight hours away... 

I still hope that Frankenstein will be again in the cinemas in my country. I can't forgive myself that I missed it when it was shown for the first time T.T

So, Marta, coming to Hamburg together?

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 26, 2014 6:52 pm  #196

SolarSystem wrote:

Apparently there also is a screening in Munich, but right now those seem to be the only encore screenings in Germany.

IN MUNICH?? WHEN AND WHERE??  (Imagine I said that without shouting.)
I asked Google but didn´t find anything..

May 26, 2014 6:57 pm  #197

You lucky Germans! Enjoy it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 26, 2014 7:03 pm  #198

Found it! 

Edit: Bought two tickets. Will go and see Frankenstein next month. Yaayyy!  

Edit2: Thank you for the notice Solar!

Last edited by Zatoichi (May 26, 2014 7:22 pm)

May 26, 2014 7:22 pm  #199

I'm sure you'll have an amazing evening! Do you know which version it will be?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 26, 2014 7:24 pm  #200

Thanks, Solar!

Benedict Cumberbatch as Creature..

Board footera