BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2014 10:24 pm  #41

Re: First Thoughts...

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!

I loved it so much that it went straight to the top of my favorite episodes. But I have a bad feeling. This will end so bad that I honestly don't want next Sunday to arrive.

I enjoyed this episode so much but I finished it almost crying both because Sherlock went home alone and because it's too good to last.

Last edited by Mrs. Watson (January 5, 2014 10:29 pm)

January 5, 2014 10:28 pm  #42

Have you seen the trailer for ep three?
Definitely looks like we get  "mean" cliffhanger again. ....

January 5, 2014 10:28 pm  #43

One thing I really liked about this one was the smaller sized mystery.  Instead of huge world-wide criminal networks and international terrorists plots there was a rather neat little locked door mystery all feeling much closer to home.  More ACD-like in that manner.  Worked for me.
Oh god, it was so funny and lovely with all the emotional feels throughout; they are really setting us up for a heartbreaking finale, for sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 5, 2014 10:29 pm  #44

Brilliant   Bonkers   Beautiful

January 5, 2014 10:30 pm  #45

I just watched the trailer. DON'T TOUCH ME. I fear everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 5, 2014 10:32 pm  #46

Well, I'll definitely have to watch this again. As a non English native, I found this episode was more difficult to understand than the previous ones. It all goes so fast and I got very confused during the part with the different women, I really didn't get it (why that woman knew about the wedding and "hamish" and all that), so I'll give a better opinion later, but all in all, I loved it!

It was unusual, indeed, and in a purely "plot" perspective, I wouldn't say it's a very good episode (I'm talking about cases and all here, that's Sherlock Holmes, after all) but in a emotional perspective, characters development and all, I think it was brilliant!

My favourite things after a first viewing:

* That hug: seriously, I'd been waiting for it for so long I swear I practically scream in front of my screen.
* That sad look on Sherlock's face before he gets ready for the wedding (when the camera focuses on John's empty seat)
* Those words Sherlock tell at the wedding. I think he has never opened up that much before. Saying so nice things about John (like for example "Mary, you deserve that man and that's the best compliment I could ever make"), recognizing his own faults in contrast with John's qualities, and I like the parallel "I solve crimes/he saves lives", saying John has saved his life so many times. Oh, the feels!!!
* Sherlock's blank face when he realises he is John's best friend
* The stag night: Sherlock drunk,  and it was hilarious when they played the "who am I?" game ("Am i human?" "sometimes" lol)
* the nods to the Sign of Four, and also the fact that the main "plot" was linked to the different anecdotes (I had figured out from the beginning that the criminal was the photographer though)
* Lestrade rushing to rescue Sherlock (so cute) only to realise it was to help him with his speech (i'd seen this coming and yet I laughed in tears at Greg's face!)
* Mycroft in an sporty outfit, just priceless!
* Mycroft telling his brother "i guess I'll see you more often" or something like that. I think it echoes last episode in which Mycroft says he is not lonely and yet here he's practically looking forward to seeing his bro more often.
* Sherlock seeing/hearing Mycroft while trying to figure out who's the target of the criminal at the wedding. It was well done

I'm probably missing a lot of things but that's all that comes to my mind right now!

And I thought Ben and Martin's performances were absolutely amazing!

On the other hand, I didn't really get the role of that girl (can't remember her name, well, the one who dances with Sherlock and seems in love with him): Sherlock seems to find interest in her (he finds her beautiful as he says something like "I can't recognize the beauty when I see it" while looking at her, he looks for her on the dance floor and decides to leave when he realises she is having fun with a guy with glasses), and I don't get it. I mean, what was the point? And Sherlock is not the kind to fall in love, let alone fall in love purely on appearances, so I don't know, I thought it was weird but maybe it's just me, or I'll get it better after a second viewing or with a transcript...

As for Mary, she's still lovely (maybe a bit too much, but hey). I don't know what they have in store for her, if they're gonna follow the canon and if she'll already die in next episode or if she'll stay around for next season.

I wasn't expecting that whole baby thing (sign of three) at all, but I can't see them having John being a father (I mean, it would be too far from canon and it would definitely put limits in John & Sherlock's adventures, I mean: John loves danger, that's why he follows Sherlock, but once you become a parent, you don't LOVE danger, you usually avoid it, because you're not alone anymore, you've got a little one to protect and can't allow yourself to put you in danger just for the sake of adventure). So my throughts are that there's gonna be a problem with the baby: either they'll lose it and it'll bring conflicts in the couple resulting with Mary leaving (not that I especially want to, I like her, but I'm trying to imagine what they can come with to follow the canon and this would be a less cruel way to get "rid of her" rather than killing her), either she'll die while giving birth and the child won't survive either but that would be awful and I don't think John would ever cope, and go back to his old life with Sherlock as if nothing had happened. So I don't know, really.

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 5, 2014 10:34 pm)

Just like old times...

January 5, 2014 10:36 pm  #47

All my feels from this episode. My heart is breaking already...just at the thought of next week...I can't process or contemplate anything right now. Maybe I'll be able to post a more coherent analysis when I've had a few days for it to sink in but right now I'm just...in a sort of Sherlock heaven. That episode totally made up for my initial disappointment at the Empty Hearse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 5, 2014 10:41 pm  #48

Johanna Goldlocke wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

BTW...was there a reason the murderer tested his method on this special guard?

...to see if it works? Although this is a weird logic!

Plan and rehearse - just like for a wedding. That's what I thought the attack on the guardsman was all about, nothing more.  But I could be wrong.  Need a second viewing...

January 5, 2014 10:44 pm  #49

KeepersPrice wrote:

Johanna Goldlocke wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

BTW...was there a reason the murderer tested his method on this special guard?

Plan and rehearse - just like for a wedding. That's what I thought the attack on the guardsman was all about, nothing more. But I could be wrong. Need a second viewing...

He would have needed to test it on someone who wears similar belts. He had very easy access to the Guardsman seeing as he was stood out on parade all day.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 5, 2014 10:44 pm  #50

Oh god, I should be doing some work now but all I can do is hit the refresh button on this Forum over and over again.  I need to be with my people! *sob*! LOL!

January 5, 2014 10:45 pm  #51

ok I haven't seen it yet, I know...waiting for dp to get back from work...but-

Is there any possibility, any hint that the baby is not actually John's? Or could a seed of doubt be planted with him on that one?

My money is still on her turning out to be a plant, possibly from the Moriaty Era, who has turned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 5, 2014 10:46 pm  #52

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Johanna Goldlocke wrote:

Plan and rehearse - just like for a wedding. That's what I thought the attack on the guardsman was all about, nothing more. But I could be wrong. Need a second viewing...

He would have needed to test it on someone who wears similar belts. He had very easy access to the Guardsman seeing as he was stood out on parade all day.

Yeah, too bad they killed him off.  He was a hunk! Could have done with seeing a bit more of him!

January 5, 2014 10:50 pm  #53

They can't have John being a father, that's right. It is like you said too far from canon and also would make it difficult for him to be involved with Sherlock's cases etc as the series requires.
I have a feeling Mary is not going to be around for series 4.

One thing - has anyone else noticed Mary didn't seem to be ecstatic when Sherlock told them he deducted she was pregnant? She seemed more upset than happy to me, and Sherlock's face kind of changed after seeing that. Just me?

January 5, 2014 10:52 pm  #54

Ozma wrote:

They can't have John being a father, that's right. It is like you said too far from canon and also would make it difficult for him to be involved with Sherlock's cases etc as the series requires.

One thing - has anyone else noticed Mary didn't seem to be ecstatic when Sherlock told them he deducted she was pregnant? She seemed more upset than happy to me, and Sherlock's face kind of changed after seeing that. Just me?

Well, no, I didn't notice. I will have to wait until tomorrow...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 5, 2014 10:52 pm  #55

Ozma wrote:

She definitely panicked.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 5, 2014 10:54 pm  #56

"The game is... something."

Yeah, right, Sherlock. The game is something, and something different, I would say. Someone already said it: this could be the end of Sherlock as we knew it. But then again, maybe not. We'll see.

Anyway: There was lots and lots of stuff in this episode that I absolutely loved, I had a really good time - and very nice pirouette, Sherlock! (I'm sure this will get made into thousands of gifs... ). And the Opera House...! God, he's quite talented, don't you think?

I enjoyed how Sherlock and John were portrayed as best friends. As friends who love each other and will always be there for each other. Amazing stuff, really.
And the end brought tears into my eyes... lonely Sherlock, that almost broke my heart...

But I'm missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it, so I'll just shut up until I've seen it again.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 5, 2014 10:54 pm  #57

All the cases mentioned in the episode now up on Johns blog

January 5, 2014 10:55 pm  #58

Is nobody going to mention Mycroft exercising?I almost fell out of my chair laughing. :D

January 5, 2014 10:56 pm  #59

Ozma wrote:

They did manage to work it with Torchwood though, Gwen still went off and did her stuff. So...maybe. I dunno, I don't think you are allowed to kill off babies on British tv.

could she have panicked because you are not really meant to go about deducing such things or if you do, you are meant to keep them to yourself?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 5, 2014 10:56 pm  #60

Yes, I didn't get all the words during that scene because of the music (i had to concentrate even more to understand) but I too noticed she made a strange face when Sherlock said that. Who knows? Maybe she's already been pregnant in the past and something went wrong (miscarriage) so she's afraid it happens again or something like that. We don't know much about her past, after all... (the bbc version, not the canon Mary i mean)

Just like old times...

Board footera