BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2012 7:11 pm  #1

New Look

Wow, where do we post about the new look? It changed while I was on the site and for half a second I thought I had clicked out of it by accident. Very atmospheric, but a little harder to read.

Last edited by veecee (June 12, 2012 11:09 pm)

June 12, 2012 7:14 pm  #2

Re: New Look

Yeah it's based on the design of Sherlock's website - http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 12, 2012 7:16 pm  #3

Oh, I realized that. Cool.

June 12, 2012 7:59 pm  #4

well I  like it!!!   the baby blue  writing is spot on...I  thought my eyes were playing tricks,  then I remembered that our boss was looking for this background to use.   way  to  go,  I  like it!!!  I  can't wait to try  out new colors when I post.   This  makes it  look less boring,  for want of a better term.   good  job!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 12, 2012 8:11 pm  #5

Very nice Boss!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 12, 2012 8:15 pm  #6

OMG, this is so totally and utterly amazingly superb! I'm soo excited!!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 12, 2012 8:52 pm  #7

Ooooh boss!!

This is GREAT!

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 12, 2012 11:05 pm  #8

Well, I'm finding it very difficult to read the text.  The light blue on the gray is hard and to me, bleeds in to the background, and I've never liked text in white as it hurts my eyes because it's too bright.  So, sorry to give a contrary view, but I much preferred the previous look.  I think using the design as banners at the top and bottom of the page would be nice but where the actual posts are, I'm afraid I'm not a fan.  Sorry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 12, 2012 11:35 pm  #9

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll leave the new design up for a few days to give chance for all our regular members to check it out and give feedback, then decide where to take it from there.

June 13, 2012 3:55 am  #10

It is a pretty drastic change, so I'm not used to it yet, but probably will get used to it pretty quickly. I agree, it might be a little harder to read. But, I think it's a great look, and well worth trying out. Thanks for the time you put into it, SH, and an even bigger "Thanks!" for not using pink...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 13, 2012 3:59 am  #11

Men hate change.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 13, 2012 4:12 am  #12

kazza474 wrote:

Men hate change.

It's true. Always has been. Always will be. Just the way we like it...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 13, 2012 7:10 am  #13

well  change is hard for everyone,  in their own way.   what bugs me know,  and i didn't notice before,   but the white print almost looks like a GREY  print  on  this  black background.   Also,  there are some posts which  don't have the line above their signature,  so you cannot tell if it's  part of the post or if it's part of the signature.   (siggy is what I called them on another board)   You CAN  see mine,   and I don't know why.    Maybe I put it there,  I don't know.   But it's there, nevertheless.   Yes,  thank you so much for not using    pink.     that's not my color.   Never has been,  and never will be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 13, 2012 7:31 am  #14

The folks are probably typing out their signature each time rather than using the tools to have it come up automatically. If it is done automatically then the line above it always appears.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2012 9:02 am  #15

I don't have a problem with the white text, though I understand people might find it harder to read.

As the boss wants feedback, the thing I find more difficult now is to see clearly which topics have new answers. The yellow point that appears gets a bit lost. I don't know if it's possible to change its color or something, but now I have to look twice to make sure if there are new answers on a section of the forum. In the individual post threads is easier because the title appears in bold characters, but in the index page it's more difficult to see. At least for me

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 13, 2012 9:21 am  #16

Yeah I'm working on your signatures guys. The natural line that breaks them from the rest of the post is grey and I can't work out how to change it, so I'm going through all of your signatures and adding in the new white line. That's why some of you have it already and some of you don't...

I will have a look at the icons too thanks Irene.

June 13, 2012 9:54 am  #17

We've got new Sherlocky icons now.

If there's new messages it'll have the magnifying glass next to it, otherwise it'll have a mini Sherlock.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (June 13, 2012 9:55 am)

June 13, 2012 10:10 am  #18

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

We've got new Sherlocky icons now.

If there's new messages it'll have the magnifying glass next to it, otherwise it'll have a mini Sherlock.

This is great, boss, and very funny.

Much easier now, thanks

June 13, 2012 10:33 am  #19

Absolutely love the new look! Bravo! 

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 13, 2012 10:50 am  #20

When I put my reading glasses on (sigh), the white text is clear and when I enlarge the text more than I have been, the text is clearer.  I do like the look--or is it the idea of the look I like?  I wonder...is it possible to lighten up the gray background a little bit--might that make a difference?  But then, the white might not show up; hmm, I don't have an aversion to pink but it would certainly change the mood.  Glad it's not my forum to figure out! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera